Steam and Origin can **** my balls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elegance89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elegance89
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

Rant time! So the other day I purchased Mass Effect 3 and Shogun 2 for PC. I got the physical copies for both coz I like having a box collection in my room plus my internet isn't so speedy and it would take forever to download off origin and steam. So why the flip is it the case, that even though I have the DVD's bursting with install data, that both services INSIST on me having to download the entire files??? A quick google search shows that there are ways around it, but why isn't there simply an option to INSTALL FROM DISC, seeing as I...you know...HAVE THE FREAKING DISC??? Okay rant over...

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Main reason I don't even bother buying boxed copies of games anymore. Less chance of discounts, take up too much room if you have a collection, and the only thing you need from it is a 25-character key.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

You are installing them from your discs, but both games HAVE FREAKING HUGE PATCHES THAT YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD.

If you are indeed downloading the games from the internet and not just those huge patches, there's no point trying to stop automatic updates or to avoid them, since you can't even install them from their discs.

Ways around not installing from the internet, are you serious? these games don't install through magic, you put the discs in, autorun starts, then you install, like any other game, a monkey, literally, can do it.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

yea it stupid.. same for gw2.. have the disks but dl from the net.

Just wondering what happens if you disconnect the net then try to install from the disk?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust

Just wondering what happens if you disconnect the net then try to install from the disk?

undeadgoon
They're called patches and, just like the TC, you can't be serious...complaining about downloads for a MMO, really? As for installing from the discs, not sure how anyone can fail at that, digital download GW 2 has a small client that gets all the data, discs install the game, there's absolutely no chance, ever, to download THE GAME, by installing from discs, only updates.
elegance89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 elegance89

No one is having an issue installing from a disc...the problem is that origin/steam literally do not allow you to use the install data from the discs, so you have to install the full game on top of patches/updates, so the point I was making was why do they bother making physical copies?

p.s judging from your douchey responses here is a video I recommend you watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Accept what you're going to get for posting incredibly stupid things, Steam doesn't do anything, retail games open a window to activate the game on Steam then continues to install the game from its discs, then continues to download updates...Bamby. I thought you were going to post a video showing how Steam forces you not to install from discs, instead you try to act smart, stupidity + acting smart, they never mix.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I bought Dishonored a few days ago. I opened it up...put it in the DVD drive...and by god it installed from the disc. O_O

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Not all games. Mass Effect 3 made the news for the disc data not installing.

undeadgoon

That's not true. I have both the digital and physical copies of GW2. What you downloaded were the patches.... YOu can install the base game from the dvd.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
You entered the CD-keys into the client first, didn't you....
elegance89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elegance89

seriously dude chill out...it's just a forum post, regardless of whether you think it is stupid you can still voice your opinion without being rude or condescending.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

seriously dude chill out...it's just a forum post, regardless of whether you think it is stupid you can still voice your opinion without being rude or condescending.

elegance89

But where's the fun in that

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
I know for Origin it will its downloading when its really installing from the disc. Not sure about Steam but I know you need to do something special for it to install off the disc.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust

elegance89
I'm just posting in a way that is appropriate to your thread. You posted drama, you got drama, I am chilled and "rants" are not a discussion, they're just a "hey I want attention, so here, whatever" since you wanted to highlight that aspect.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

seriously dude chill out...

elegance89

To be 14 years old again.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Blog it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Shogun2 has been supported with gb's and gb's of patches/updates, this is a good thing.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of physical media if you're not going to use it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Smh. People are confusing base-game installation from dvds, and updates. Of course, Steam or Origin will download mb's and GB's of updates/patches if you just got the game now... Common sense.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Oh look, it's another guy stuck in the 90's. Move along people

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

You are installing them from your discs, but both games HAVE FREAKING HUGE PATCHES THAT YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD.

DanielDust
Pretty much this.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#22 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Yeah you're not alone. I too enjoy asterisks on my balls.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Smh. People are confusing base-game installation from dvds, and updates. Of course, Steam or Origin will download mb's and GB's of updates/patches if you just got the game now... Common sense.Elann2008

^ this. They install from the disc, you're just late to the party and the boxed copy doesnt have the oodles of free content that came out since then. Logic > ranting

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

TC mad cuz bad

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 undeadgoon

[QUOTE="undeadgoon"]

DanielDust

They're called patches and, just like the TC, you can't be serious...complaining about downloads for a MMO, really? As for installing from the discs, not sure how anyone can fail at that, digital download GW 2 has a small client that gets all the data, discs install the game, there's absolutely no chance, ever, to download THE GAME, by installing from discs, only updates.

Hmmm weird... i wasnt complaining.. some people only see what they want to see.. in fact i was trying to offer a solution... but thanks for your input.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 undeadgoon

Not all games. Mass Effect 3 made the news for the disc data not installing. [QUOTE="undeadgoon"]

Elann2008

That's not true. I have both the digital and physical copies of GW2. What you downloaded were the patches.... YOu can install the base game from the dvd.

I have seem multiple posts saying different.. altho maybe GW2 was a bad example as its an online game anyway..

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Not all games. Mass Effect 3 made the news for the disc data not installing. [QUOTE="undeadgoon"]

undeadgoon

I have seem multiple posts saying different.. altho maybe GW2 was a bad example as its an online game anyway..

Your not going to believe this. I bought gw2 for my boys bday and you know what? It installed from the disc then downloaded patches. I know right, unfnbelieveable.
undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 undeadgoon

Grats... i hope he enjoys it... im having loads of fun.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I always thought in todays PC games that the Discs were just a ploy and what was actually on the disc was just a shortcut to Steam/Origin/GFWL/whatever.

All you're doing is paying for the key.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

threads like this gave me a drinking problem last year.. they continue to make me binge drink

TC is rtarded

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Yeah you're not alone. I too enjoy asterisks on my balls.

-Unreal-
Lol Great now I have to clean up the coffee I just blew through my nose...it was hot too...really hot ! At least I don't have to worry about buggers for awhile as my sinuses are scalded clean now.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

They do install from the disks.

At least BF3 and Skyrim did for me (the only games i bought retail at all recently).

It's just modern games have patches and updates.