Stay away from AMD. [Win 8]

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

My GTX 480 dies after 4 years of solid use, and i am in a bit of financial hell currently, so i ended up moving to a HD 5850.

Let me tell you this, go for AMD if you want many games to not work again.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438200/bioshock-2-on-amd-gpu

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438756/sigh-games-not-working#post_21103163

I can not stress enough how bad their drivers really are, end rant.

#2 Edited by Chris_53 (5119 posts) -

I'm sorry for your loss

#3 Posted by Arch-Stanton (166 posts) -

I've had a ASUS ATI 5770 1GB DDR 5 ram for 3 years with no problems , worked great on Bioshock 2 and Infinite, maybe you got a bum card ?

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16624 posts) -

Never had a problem with AMD cards or drivers.

#5 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

No, it seems to be Windows 8 guys, take my thread with a grain of salt if you are still on Win 7, no issues installing the drivers now back on Win 7.

The problems seem to be with Windows 8.

#6 Posted by Twisted14 (3497 posts) -

Well that's interesting. I'm still using a 5850 and actually just got a copy of Windows 8 that I was probably going to install next week. Might have to look further into these issues.

From what it seems from those threads you posted though, it might not necessarily be windows 8. Bioshock 2 has a crapload of issues because of GFWL. I bought the game in the last steam sale and checked the Steam forums and they were flooded with threads from people who couldn't play it, on any system with any OS. The issues were attributed to GFWL, Bulletstorm apparently uses it too, so probably the same deal there.

#7 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

No Bioshock 2 is GFWL free, it no longer exists for Bioshock 2, it is now fully a Steam game.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16624 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

No, it seems to be Windows 8 guys, take my thread with a grain of salt if you are still on Win 7, no issues installing the drivers now back on Win 7.

Probably because Win8 was clearly not designed for gaming. It has a lot of issues :(

@AMD655 said:

No Bioshock 2 is GFWL free, it no longer exists for Bioshock 2, it is now fully a Steam game.

Yeah, that's great news. I have Bioshock 1 &2 on Steam now and it's way better than GFWL. Though I did have some issues in Bioshock 1 when shift-tabbing.

#9 Posted by wis3boi (31463 posts) -

personal anecdote isn't data.

#10 Posted by bulby_g (1133 posts) -

My HD 8970m runs fine on Windows 8, not a single problem with any game I've tried to play.

#11 Posted by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

Windows 8 and 8.1 are well knows as making games running slower than they've should be and not working.

Windows 7 is the best OS for gaming.

#12 Edited by ronvalencia (15129 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

My GTX 480 dies after 4 years of solid use, and i am in a bit of financial hell currently, so i ended up moving to a HD 5850.

Let me tell you this, go for AMD if you want many games to not work again.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438200/bioshock-2-on-amd-gpu

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438756/sigh-games-not-working#post_21103163

I can not stress enough how bad their drivers really are, end rant.

Very little issues with my 7950 (950Mhz) and 8870M (with Samsung's AMD Enduro Windows 8.1 drivers).

#13 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

I love these complaints of AMD drivers. It seems like the majority of those that complain about them are Nvidia fanboys, while those who actually own amd GPUs are quite happy with them usually.

My HD 7950 has had zero issues on Windows 8 over the past year.

#14 Posted by bigfootpart2 (111 posts) -

People actually run Windows 8? LOL. There's your problem right there. Upgrade to Windows 7.

#15 Posted by Gammit10 (2272 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@AMD655 said:

Probably because Win8 was clearly not designed for gaming. It has a lot of issues :(

It wasn't and it does, eh? Please, do go on.

#16 Posted by Gammit10 (2272 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

Windows 8 and 8.1 are well knows as making games running slower than they've should be and not working.

That's odd, every piece of data I see has shown the exact opposite of "running slower." Do you have any reliable data that shows otherwise?

#17 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I haven't had a single driver issue nor driver crash since I got my first AMD card earlier this year. My dad has had an HD 5670 for a few years, and he hasn't had any driver issues, either..

I prefer some of the features of the card, too. 4x MSAA + MLAA looks better than Supersampling, IMO. And, it's far less of a strain on the GPU, too...

#18 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16624 posts) -

@Gammit10 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

What exactly should I go on about ? About all the issues gamers are having with Windows 8 ?

#19 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2587 posts) -

That doesnt meant AMD is to blame. It means you need to RMA and your card is defective. Whyd you go AMD anyways?

#20 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

That doesnt meant AMD is to blame. It means you need to RMA and your card is defective. Whyd you go AMD anyways?

There is nothing wrong with the card lmfao.

#21 Edited by topgunmv (10246 posts) -

Uh I played through all of bioshock 2 on a 5870.

#22 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

My 7970 GE works great.

#23 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

My AMD cards have given me absolutely no trouble at all.

Sounds like a personal problem.

#24 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -

I've had plenty of issues with ati drivers on my old hd3870x2, and 5850s in crossfire. It was a horrible mess for 5850s in crossfire

#25 Posted by sethman410 (2943 posts) -

Yeah I think it's a Windows 8 problem. My family had this problem with their Sims 3 game on Windows 8. Both my little step sisters have the exact same computer except one of them was win7 and other was win 8. The win 8 didn't work because the game kept crashing.

It's a windows 8 problem...

#26 Edited by kungfool69 (2580 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

my clean install of windows 8 and my 5770 beg to differ. Borderlands 2 now runs smoother!! i had more trouble with games on windows 7 then on 8.

#27 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

Certain games run better on Nvidia

Certain games run better on AMD

I would say Nvidia has better dev relations and driver support BUT with AMD you get a whole lot of power for a small price.

The odd game might not run well, but %98 of stuff out there will run fine on either card.

7870 Tahiti LE is better than all but the top tier Nvidia cards, and it's about $150.

#28 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6047 posts) -

@redskins26rocs said:

I love these complaints of AMD drivers. It seems like the majority of those that complain about them are Nvidia fanboys, while those who actually own amd GPUs are quite happy with them usually.

+1 gotta agree with this one, especially noting that the OP is a hardcore nvidia fanboy

#29 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

tends of thousands of posts on support forums about the same thing is though. AMD drivers suck, and AMD cards have a lot of issues in a lot of popular games. look it up. its a thing.

#30 Posted by Gammit10 (2272 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Gammit10 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

What exactly should I go on about ? About all the issues gamers are having with Windows 8 ?

Actual data gathered over the lifetime of Windows 8, not an article that shows a recently-discovered "something" based on anecdotes.

#31 Posted by Gammit10 (2272 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@wis3boi said:

tends of thousands of posts on support forums about the same thing is though. AMD drivers suck, and AMD cards have a lot of issues in a lot of popular games. look it up. its a thing.

No, they're not. Not even remotely close to the same thing. I have owned cards from both companies over many years, and have experienced roughly the same number of issues with both companies. I'm sure tens of thousands of posts could be found that claim the same.

#32 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

You probably didn't do a CLEAN install. The drivers left over from Nvidia are probably there in the registry. Using control panel to uninstall isn't enough; also requires manually removing registry files.

#33 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16624 posts) -

@Gammit10 said:

Actual data gathered over the lifetime of Windows 8, not an article that shows a recently-discovered "something" based on anecdotes.

That article shows people are having problems with gaming on Windows 8. As do many other 'anecdotes' :s

You can call it anecdotal anytime you want. I call it people having problems gaming on windows 8

#34 Edited by wis3boi (31463 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@wis3boi said:

I can punch "Nvidia drivers suck" into google and tens of thousands of results too. I'm sure you'd ignore that though. I've had good and bad from all brands

#35 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Only card I've had real issues with was the AMD 6700 I had a while back. Might have been driver issues or something but it was a lot of graphic issues and glitches which stopped existing when I put the 670GTX in my PC. It was enough to change my mind at least but ymmv.

#36 Posted by Byshop (11608 posts) -

Win 8, 7990 and a 500+ game Steam collection. No problems here.

-Byshop

#37 Edited by gt350tsc (488 posts) -

@bulby_g said:

My HD 8970m runs fine on Windows 8, not a single problem with any game I've tried to play.

Same hear, Mine is doing great running tomb raider

#38 Edited by Chronic276 (99 posts) -

I've had no problems with Windows 8 and AMD? Been playing things from FarCry 3 to Assassins Creed without any issues.

#39 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

Geez luiz.. like I said.. do a proper clean install.. then come back and report.

#40 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -

This is why I liked having the PC games and hardware sections separate. I didn't have to see all the stupid AMD vs Nvidia bickering threads when I wanted to talk about PC games.

#41 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -

Windows 8.1 works great for games. I'm using it right now... No mouse lag, runs just as good if not better as 7. Cumon guys, it's been a while, move on, you're wrong now and barely look like tech enthusiasts...

AMD is perfectly fine too.

#42 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2587 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

There is nothing wrong with the card lmfao.

OHRLY?? well then dun get your money back weeno

#43 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

+1 gotta agree with this one, especially noting that the OP is a hardcore nvidia fanboy

LOL having issues with Windows 8 means someone is a fanboy, because fuck logic.

Anyway, back on Win 7, no real issues, the only games that give problems is Bioshock 2 which is a NV TWIMTBP title, so not really a new thing i guess.

#44 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

Anyway, back on Win 7, no real issues, the only games that give problems is Bioshock 2 which is a NV TWIMTBP title, so not really a new thing i guess.

Did not call you out as a fanboy just saying the majority of complaints are from a bunch of fanboys. Those of us that have posted about are experience with WIn8 and AMD GPUs are saying it is fine. I think it is not a driver related issue and instead good 'ol human error or maybe even something is wrong with the card (go ahead and laugh your ass off but makes sense if you recently bought it, that card is old and probably bought used). I get it, if I was bias I would blame a company known for having driver issues for my GPU problems too and then come on a forum complaining and LMFAO at responses defending that companies products that other users have zero issues with. Hey everyone dont buy AMD GPUs on WIndows 8 because out of everyone that posted here I am the only one having issues with Win8 and AMD so looks like AMD drivers still suck LMAO

#45 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@redskins26rocs said:

@AMD655 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

Did not call you out as a fanboy just saying the majority of complaints are from a bunch of fanboys. Those of us that have posted about are experience with WIn8 and AMD GPUs are saying it is fine. I think it is not a driver related issue and instead good 'ol human error or maybe even something is wrong with the card (go ahead and laugh your ass off but makes sense if you recently bought it, that card is old and probably bought used). I get it, if I was bias I would blame a company known for having driver issues for my GPU problems too and then come on a forum complaining and LMFAO at responses defending that companies products that other users have zero issues. Hey everyone dont buy AMD GPUs on WIndows 8 because out of everyone that posted here I am the only one having issues with Win8 and AMD so looks like AMD drivers still suck LMAO

The card is perfectly fine...........

Plays BF3 for hours on end, including all other games i have tested, on Windows 8 though, it is a nightmare.

#46 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

@AMD655 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

Did not call you out as a fanboy just saying the majority of complaints are from a bunch of fanboys. Those of us that have posted about are experience with WIn8 and AMD GPUs are saying it is fine. I think it is not a driver related issue and instead good 'ol human error or maybe even something is wrong with the card (go ahead and laugh your ass off but makes sense if you recently bought it, that card is old and probably bought used). I get it, if I was bias I would blame a company known for having driver issues for my GPU problems too and then come on a forum complaining and LMFAO at responses defending that companies products that other users have zero issues. Hey everyone dont buy AMD GPUs on WIndows 8 because out of everyone that posted here I am the only one having issues with Win8 and AMD so looks like AMD drivers still suck LMAO

The card is perfectly fine...........

Plays BF3 for hours on end, including all other games i have tested, on Windows 8 though, it is a nightmare.

Clearly you did something wrong when installing drivers on Windows 8 because as I said pretty much everyone that posted in this thread are saying you are wrong about AMD and Win8. You make bold statements in your first post when they are absolutely false compared to what the other's posted in this thread. When you are the only one or a minority then odds are human error or hardware related issues (maybe not related to your problem) are the cause of the problem

#47 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Yes of course, and we all should know you need a degree in IT science to install AMD drivers.

People who defend things like it never happens are worse than fanboys, they even say it is down to the person.

If you see the links i added in the OP, you will see everything was done to try and get them working, but it never did work, going back to Win 7 was the only fix.

Sadly i do not hold a degree in installing AMD's mess when it happens.

#48 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

Yes of course, and we all should know you need a degree in IT science to install AMD drivers.

People who defend things like it never happens are worse than fanboys, they even say it is down to the person.

If you see the links i added in the OP, you will see everything was done to try and get them working, but it never did work, going back to Win 7 was the only fix.

Everyone in this thread pretty much disagrees with what you are saying. Your claims are bs and maybe instead of hate on AMD go into actual detail when you have a problem instead of hate on AMD and their drivers, which you did not do in this thread by the way. Also threads are not a source to make such claims and in those threads you got hardly any help you just got common recommendations and gave up before the problem was really even addressed. Breakdown of what I read:

Got an error

Fixed it

then you say screw this going back to win7

yeah you did everything possible

I found this if that problem you were having persisted

#49 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@redskins26rocs said:

@AMD655 said:

Everyone in this thread pretty much disagrees with what you are saying. Your claims are bs and maybe instead of hate on AMD go into actual detail when you have a problem instead of hate on AMD and their drivers, which you did not do in this thread by the way. Also threads are not a source to make such claims and in those threads you got hardly any help you just got common recommendations and gave up before the problem was really even addressed. Breakdown of what I read:

Got an error

Fixed it

then you say screw this going back to win7

yeah you did everything possible

I found this if that problem you were having persisted

I said screw this because UAC would not work in Win 8, heck there is a thread in this section about Win 8's UAC lol.

#50 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6047 posts) -

you really are a hardcore nvidia fanboy, I hope nobody actually paid attention to this dumb thread