Star Trek Armada Windows 7 problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1578 Posts

I bought the game on Ebay, i used to have it many many years ago. I really enjoyed it, but over the years, i've never been able to find the original disc when my father moved things around.

I'm no computer expert, but once i installed the game, i had a memory problem messages popping up each time i tried to start the game. I've been around the web and was able to get past this problem through a few edits and patches.

Once i thought my memory problem had ended, it lead me in to another one. This time when i try to start up a level, the loading screen doesn't load. It flickers until it crashes. I've removed the Ram as i hear this game seriously hates rams bigger than 2 gig or something. I've not been able to find anyway past this loading screen problem. I've not even found anything on the web about it either apart from one topic, but it doesn't say much about how to deal with it.

My mother board is new and up todate, i bought it sometime in May this year. The graphics card is a few years old, its a 240 something i believe. I have 2 4gigs of ram, i've taken one out to see if the 1 4 gig of ram might help, but it does nothing.

Has anyone on Gamespot been able to get Star Trek Armada to work on Windows 7, i've seen topics about people getting to work, but not much info as to how they did it.

Anoither thing, someone on the web mentioned the game doesn't like DX9, i'm not sure what it is, but i remember it popping up one time or another when i was installing a game, so i can only imagine its something to do with the graphics.

If anyone knows anything about getting past this loading screen flickering freeze, please let me know.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

I know Armada 2 works on Windows 7, but can look into it, gotta find my armada disc, I wish gog.com or someone would go back and recode these good star trek games for modern hardware/OS's.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mickeyminime

i was going to by Armada 2. Even that game appears to have problems, just not as bad as number 1. I'm going to try the game on safe mode, see if it works. So far, i've only taken 1 4gig ram out, but so far, it's made no improvment. The first problem involved the memory, i got that fixed and it allowed me to start up the game to the main menu. But when i start a game, the loading screen flickers, but no load bar appears. It simply crashes after a while :(

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 04dcarraher

I have it installed no memory warnings with 8gb of memory, game does play however does have graphics glitches and flickering.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mickeyminime

i tried it on star trek safe mode, it works, but the graphics are rather bad. On Star Trek original, it never loads any level up be it campaign or instant action. It goes to the loading screen, flickers like you've got something in your eye and then crashes. It's possible there is something wrong with my original game when it comes to the graphics card, but totally fine without it. Thanks for the help though :)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 04dcarraher

Well I got it to work flawlessly, I switched over to intel onboard video.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mickeyminime

i do believe my graphics card is a Nvidia or Gforce, the mother board is new just like the ram that came with it. The graphics card is 4-5 years old at least. Safemode is the only one that works, but the normal one just flickers and crashes. It wont even load :(.