#1 Edited by GTA_MGS_1 (500 posts) -

Hey peeps gojng for a 512GB MX100 SSD, what are they like for gaming? i'm a bit of a noob with these.. i wont be installing that many games compared to some but will be playingg my new rig like crazy, are these reliable enough for gaming? before you mention HDD's, i'm going all out on this build! :)

#2 Posted by airshocker (29875 posts) -

Everything tends to run better on an SSD. With my SSD I load into multiplayer games long before everybody else and Windows boots up faster. Win/win in my book(no pun intended).

#3 Edited by FelipeInside (25663 posts) -

@GTA_MGS_1

@airshocker said:

Everything tends to run better on an SSD. With my SSD I load into multiplayer games long before everybody else and Windows boots up faster. Win/win in my book(no pun intended).

Win/Win but with a bit of a lose cause SSDs are still expensive (going down rapidly), and to get FULL performance out of it you need at least 50% of free space (something HDDs didn't need as much).

TC, I would go with at least a 256GB (if your budget allows it, go for 512GB). And even then, just install the HEAVY games on the SSD. Lighter games that aren't as intensive just put them on a normal HDD.

#4 Edited by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

The MX100 is by far the best price/performance SSD you can buy right now. I'll be picking up a 512GB version fairly soon to go with my Evo 250Gb.

In the latest tests the 1st SSD to fail did so at around 900TB written. I'm at 4TB in about 8 months and I delete and install games all the time not to mention I record a lot of game footage.

#5 Edited by rabakill (702 posts) -

I bought one and I bought the warranty for 4 years. Time to play a buttload of games and hope it dies in 3 years. Its like I got a brand new computer that's 10x faster. Startup to windows in 4 seconds....

#6 Posted by Qixote (10733 posts) -

It will definitely load games faster. But don't expect framerates to be any different, because that's not what storage does.

#7 Edited by farrell2k (6340 posts) -

Not really worth the cost. I used to swear by ssd until I had one fail after 6 months. I replaced it with a 7200rpm seagate and while I am sure the ssd is technically faster, I really don't notice much of a difference in anything, especially games. Until ssd drives drop to the price of current hard drives, I won't be buying one again.

#8 Posted by rabakill (702 posts) -

I notice a difference in frame rate especially when turning the camera

#9 Edited by PapaTrop (1315 posts) -

I just got the 256gb MX100. It comes with a 3 year warranty if you're worried about that.

I took the plunge on this SSD because I read more than enough times that the reliability of SSDs has gone up significantly since they launched. I'm told it should last longer than the lifespan of my PC which would be nice, but there's no real way of knowing that until I'm done using this PC.

I'll be keeping a standard hard drive, and a large flash drive to backup my files just in case.

But yes. SSDs are amazing for gaming. You'll load games near-instantly, load levels near-instantly, etc. Plus, once your gaming addiction reaches crack levels, you'll be very happy your PC boots in a few seconds, so that you can get into your games faster after a long day of work or school.

#10 Posted by Qixote (10733 posts) -

@rabakill said:

I notice a difference in frame rate especially when turning the camera

that must have been your imagination, or it was due to something else. as any drive, an SSD can only store data, they do not process CPU or GPU instructions, nor do they have anything to do with random access memory.

#11 Posted by rabakill (702 posts) -

@Qixote: definitely not my imagination. Everything on my laptop is way faster now. Say what you want but it's like I got a brand new computer by upgrading to an ssd. It's nice to see the camera pan without the jittering as I often can't play games on ps3 because the jittering/stuttering gives me nausea. I saw an overall improvement in every application by a huge factor, not my imagination to go from slow to lightning fast.

#12 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (738 posts) -

If you're worried about reliability just put all your documents and important stuff on an HDD using symbolic links.


The SSD is just for programs and games, if it goes to shit, you can easily get them back.

#13 Posted by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

Hey peeps gojng for a 512GB MX100 SSD, what are they like for gaming? i'm a bit of a noob with these.. i wont be installing that many games compared to some but will be playingg my new rig like crazy, are these reliable enough for gaming? before you mention HDD's, i'm going all out on this build! :)

I can vouch for Corsair LX, bought it for gaming as well (well bought it cheaper than the EVO so...)

#14 Posted by MuD3 (1283 posts) -

ssd's are great... if i could afford one for gaming i would in an instant. i've got a 128gb ssd for my os and a 1tb wd black for other things. i've ran swtor on my ssd and it was a lot faster than on my wd black. i only have about 40gb left on my 1tb and it's mostly games, so it would be very expensive if i were to switch to ssd. i don't like uninstalling games as i frequently go back and play random ones again.

#15 Posted by Qixote (10733 posts) -

@rabakill:

@Qixote said:

@rabakill said:

I notice a difference in frame rate especially when turning the camera

that must have been your imagination, or it was due to something else. as any drive, an SSD can only store data, they do not process CPU or GPU instructions, nor do they have anything to do with random access memory.

@rabakill said:

@Qixote: definitely not my imagination. Everything on my laptop is way faster now. Say what you want but it's like I got a brand new computer by upgrading to an ssd. It's nice to see the camera pan without the jittering as I often can't play games on ps3 because the jittering/stuttering gives me nausea. I saw an overall improvement in every application by a huge factor, not my imagination to go from slow to lightning fast.

If you insist your better framerates are due to SSD, then IT IS YOUR IMAGINATION. Or you are not telling the whole truth about anything else you might have changed. You also might want to learn the basics about how a computer works. I don't doubt everything may be loading or saving faster. But framerate is not attributed to harddrive load and save time. The only remote exception is if you were already getting such poor framerate and the computer was using virtual memory, and still is. Virtual memory access would be somewhat faster on an SSD, but still nowhere near as fast as RAM. You would likely still have framerate issues. (it would not be wise to enable virtual memory with a SSD anyway.)

#17 Posted by FelipeInside (25663 posts) -

@Qixote said:

@rabakill:

@Qixote said:

@rabakill said:

I notice a difference in frame rate especially when turning the camera

that must have been your imagination, or it was due to something else. as any drive, an SSD can only store data, they do not process CPU or GPU instructions, nor do they have anything to do with random access memory.

@rabakill said:

@Qixote: definitely not my imagination. Everything on my laptop is way faster now. Say what you want but it's like I got a brand new computer by upgrading to an ssd. It's nice to see the camera pan without the jittering as I often can't play games on ps3 because the jittering/stuttering gives me nausea. I saw an overall improvement in every application by a huge factor, not my imagination to go from slow to lightning fast.

If you insist your better framerates are due to SSD, then IT IS YOUR IMAGINATION. Or you are not telling the whole truth about anything else you might have changed. You also might want to learn the basics about how a computer works. I don't doubt everything may be loading or saving faster. But framerate is not attributed to harddrive load and save time. The only remote exception is if you were already getting such poor framerate and the computer was using virtual memory, and still is. Virtual memory access would be somewhat faster on an SSD, but still nowhere near as fast as RAM. You would likely still have framerate issues. (it would not be wise to enable virtual memory with a SSD anyway.)

The only time you might confuse the framerate as performance would be in something like an open world game/MMO, where the hard drive has to load more areas as you go through them. An SSD would load them faster hence it would stutter less.