Some OS advice please? URGENT!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

Well long story short I got Windows 8 Consumer Preview exactly one year ago...guess what happened.

My computer randomly shut down and when it booted up it said that my license has run out and that it will now shut down every 2 hours.

I just ordered a copy of windows 8 for my new gaming rig and I have no intention of buying another...

I was thinking of MAYBE trying Linux out as it is free, but I am skeptical there...

Any tips at all?

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

What do you do with that PC? Specifically.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 taylor888
Well, now it is the only PC I own so I do everything. But in a few days I will have my order from Newegg and thus another PC for everyday use. This computer is a laptop and I will most likely just use it for playing movies on my TV through HDMI. At least that is my intention.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If the hardware is very new get Ubuntu 12.10, if it's not new, try Debian 6 for the most stability. And by not new, I mean I tried to load Debian 6 live cd to check something on my desktop with a gtx 670, i7, etc and it just kernel panicked instantly.

Debian 6.0.6 is based on kernel 2.6.32-5, and Ubuntu 12.10 is based on kernel 3.5

If you don't need: any adobe thing, most games, overall userfriendlyness, linux is fine.

I mean, just get used to doing things like changing your screen saver by doing things like this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/114027/how-to-add-screensavers-to-ubuntu-12.04/

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
If you play games it's probably best to stick with Windows for atleast the next few years (we'll see if the Steam Box changes anything).
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 taylor888

I might have figured something out...:twisted:

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JigglyWiggly_

I might have figured something out...:twisted:

taylor888
filthy pirate confirmed
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

Get Ubuntu 12.10 its very easy to use and its free! If you don't like it you lose nothing. there are so many youtube videos out there as well that help you learn how to use it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_

Get Ubuntu 12.10 its very easy to use and its free! If you don't like it you lose nothing. there are so many youtube videos out there as well that help you learn how to use it.

osirisx3

No, ubuntu treats you like a baby for everything right up until the point you want to do something slightly different. That can't be helped though.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I recommend Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu so it works with all the software that Ubuntu does, but it comes with multimedia codecs for flash, DVDs, MP3s, etc installed by default (Ubuntu, Fedora, and many other mainstream distros do not include these by default because they only want to support truly free and open source software; they leave the user to install anything else). It also has a much more traditional user interface than Ubuntu's Unity. Unity is a lot like Metro before there was a Windows 8: it's a touch-friendly UI that isn't ideal for desktops. It was first introduced as a default setting that could be disabled by the user, but it became more and more a mandatory to interact with as time went forward. Mint gives you the choice between MATE and Cinnamon for your desktop environment, and both are good choices. They are based around logically-laid out text based menus and a traditional desktop with normal windows and icons and the like. Linux Mint is very user friendly and is not weighed down by an overactive developer making too many decisions for their users (see: Ubuntu, Windows, Mac). Mint has great support at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/ and again, since it's based on Ubuntu you can run any Ubuntu software (the Steam for Linux beta and the recently released Netflix desktop app, both designed for Ubuntu, will install without the user having to do anything advanced on Mint). The user above that recommends Debian is misguided in doing so, in my opinion. Debian is an incredible distribution (it forms the base for Ubuntu and by extension Mint) but it progresses at a snail's pace and does not have user-friendliness as a top priority. It's a great Linux distro, but it isn't great for new users or recent Windows converts in my opinion. If you like Linux Mint and want to learn more about Linux, THEN you should look into more hobbyist-like distributions such as Debian, Arch, Gentoo, or Slackware.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Linux is fine for most tasks, just don't expect to play Crysis, Ubuntu is good for its support and high app selection but Linux Mint is what I would recommend. Also Debian.. I have to agree with Jiggly I tried it once and couldn't get it to boot successfully, it installed but as soon as it tried to find my hardware it found my keyboard and wouldn't go further, was a letdown. Mind you Ubuntu wasn't much better in my own experience but at least it worked, I had no sound as my sound card wasn't supported but it worked. I use fedora as my Linux system now, it's been great. Ok back on topic what did you do wrong and have since fixed? Would be great as others could benefit from your solution.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Linux is good if you want to take an OS and change it so it can work the way you want it to work. If your not that type of hobbyist youll end up getting frusterated with it. And linux is open source, not free. It might be free to the consumer but open source is different than free.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 taylor888
If anyone is still curious, I just tried rolling back my computer's date and time...and it actually worked. No more random restarts!
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

If anyone is still curious, I just tried rolling back my computer's date and time...and it actually worked. No more random restarts!taylor888

Hah, congrats you just beat the system.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_
you'll also be getting a lot of ssl certificate errors on things
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

If anyone is still curious, I just tried rolling back my computer's date and time...and it actually worked. No more random restarts!taylor888

"I fixed it by breaking other things"

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Eh I have/hate windows 8 btw come to the forums to talk to me at...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!banana7212
No, stop spamming that link everywhere or you'll get banned for advertising and spam.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Congratulations, you can now not update your system and have confirmed to us you don't have a license for the software, and here I was naive enough to ask how you fixed your genuinely licensed version of Windows 7.