Some good space rts games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lionman363 (109 posts) -

I am looking for some decent space rts games, preferably 4x. I have Sins and Gal Civ II but Im getting bored of them. Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by Animatronic64 (3971 posts) -

Star Wars: Empire at War

maybe.

#3 Posted by Ocid1 (362 posts) -

Distant Worlds Matrix are currently doing their 30% off holiday sale

AI War Fleet Command Arcen have 60% off everything until 1st dec

Not really an RTS but theres Space Rangers 2 aswell. Ok no where near an RTS but i feel the need to pimp it.

#4 Posted by Ragingbear505 (819 posts) -

Homeworld
Homeworld: Catacylsm
Homeworld 2

#5 Posted by ionusX (25712 posts) -

Homeworld
Homeworld: Catacylsm
Homeworld 2

Ragingbear505

this

other ones to look into:

sins of a solar empire

sword of the stars

#6 Posted by kress-1 (102 posts) -
There aren't many of these type of games in the modern era, but if you're willing to go back a while, here are a few: 1. Homeworld series 2. Hegemonia series 3. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri series 4. O.R.B.: Off-World Resource Base 5. Imperium Galactica series 6. Space Rangers series 7. Master of Orion series 8. Sword of the Stars series 9. Space Empires series
#7 Posted by zhangweizheng3 (217 posts) -

Star Wars: Empire at War, there are many mods for this as well

#8 Posted by face_ripper (968 posts) -
StarCraft II? Isn't that space?
#9 Posted by Shadowboro (74 posts) -

Isn't Galactic Civilizations II a TBS? Same goes for Master Of Orion, Imperium Galactica, Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri & Space Empires. They may be 4x, but they sure as hell ain't RTS.

#10 Posted by Kervik (94 posts) -

Isn't Galactic Civilizations II a TBS? Same goes for Master Of Orion, Imperium Galactica, Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri & Space Empires. They may be 4x, but they sure as hell ain't RTS.

Shadowboro

If the OP has no issues with Galactic Civilizations then I'd class it as top priority that he/she buys Master of Orion. That opened an entirely new chapter in strategy games' history and invented the entire 4X sub-genre. Imperium Galactica was also very good (not as good as MoO) and Alpha Centauri held up to the standards of every preceding and following Civilization game.

For RTSs set in space I'd suggest Homeworld straight off the bat. That was such an incredibly memorable game, and made so many innovations, that I still wish I had the disk today. To be honest, most games set in "actual space" are underground or made by small developers and one that I found quite recently is called Star Ruler. I only got the demo and it proved to be not bad, so I'd recommend looking into it and making some judgements yourself.

RTSs tend to base themselves on planetary surfaces (because for galaxies you need depth, as shown in Homeworld) and for those I'd suggest Supreme Commander 2 which is going pretty cheap, the aforementioned Star Wars game that I have played but can never remember the name of and maybe Rise of Legends (based on Rise of Nations and maybe not a space-themed RTS but certainly set in the future).

#11 Posted by Delro333 (594 posts) -

Starcraft II is a great RTS, that is sci-fi. Easy to pick up hard to master. Enjoy!

#12 Posted by kramernic (124 posts) -

Star Wars: Empire at War, there are many mods for this as well

zhangweizheng3

This. ^^

#13 Posted by ionusX (25712 posts) -
StarCraft II? Isn't that space?face_ripper
you arent fighting in 3 axis's of movement so no.. not space based rts.. its SCI-FI but not space based.. space based would imply ships and fighter craft ONLy no infantry or vehicles of other sorts.