Some advice needed for new PC specification

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#1 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I'm going to be buying a new PC soon, and need some advice on what specification to go for, because I'm not really up to date on current hardware. I've listed some of the more demanding games that I'd like to run on high settings with a good fps...

Current games I'd like to run on high settings include:

Skyrim
Witcher 2
Far Cry 3
Saints Row IV
Cryostasis
Dead Island
Metro 2033 + Last Light

Some future games I plan to get on PC:

Thief
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Dying Light
Witcher 3
Watch Dogs

So what would I need to run these games at a good fps on high settings? Should I wait for any new tech to come out this year, or is it okay to get a new PC now? Any help would be appreciated.

My budget is around £700 (excluding VAT), and I won't be building it myself (health reasons).

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Do you need a monitor? OS? Any old parts you can re-use?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

www.cyberpowersystems.co.uk

696 including VAT

This build includes Corsair 200R case, Corsair H60 water cooling, a coupon to either Splinter Cell Blacklist/Assassins Creed Black Flag/Call of Duty Ghosts.

OR 691 excluding VATSame as previous build BUT with better CPU and GPU:

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gallowhand

Thank you for the feedback.

Kraken2109 - I have all of the peripherals and a monitor, so no worries there. The only things I can re-use are a hard drive that I use as a data drive and a sound card. The PC I currently use is on loan from work, and the PC I did previously own is sadly completely defunct.

PredatorRules - Thank you for coming up with a whole specification for me. I'll have a good look at that. :)

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

Kraken2109 - I have all of the peripherals and a monitor, so no worries there. The only things I can re-use are a hard drive that I use as a data drive and a sound card. The PC I currently use is on loan from work, and the PC I did previously own is sadly completely defunct.

PredatorRules - Thank you for coming up with a whole specification for me. I'll have a good look at that. :)

why are you using a sound card?

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

www.cyberpowersystems.co.uk

696 including VAT

This build includes Corsair 200R case, Corsair H60 water cooling, a coupon to either Splinter Cell Blacklist/Assassins Creed Black Flag/Call of Duty Ghosts.

OR 691 excluding VATSame as previous build BUT with better CPU and GPU:

Indeed.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gallowhand

@GummiRaccoon said:

@Gallowhand said:

why are you using a sound card?

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. The sound card has a built-in amp and decent set up options, which I need because I am partially deaf in one ear. :)

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gallowhand

Okay, I've done a bit of tweaking to the recommended spec by PredatorRules, and came up with this:

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology *** Overclocking S&S **

Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator (Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 V2 AMD 970 Chipset, ATX mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI ***Overclockable S&S ***

Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts Power Supplies ( CoolerMaster G600 G-Series Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready)

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

That all comes to £697 ex. VAT.

My question now is what would be the best OS to go with this system? Should I stick with Windows 7, or bite the bullet and go with Windows 8.1? Which OS would take best advantage of Mantle in future?

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

Okay, I've done a bit of tweaking to the recommended spec by PredatorRules, and came up with this:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology *** Overclocking S&S **

Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator (Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 V2 AMD 970 Chipset, ATX mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI ***Overclockable S&S ***

Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts Power Supplies ( CoolerMaster G600 G-Series Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)

My question now is what would be the best OS to go with this system? Should I stick with Windows 7, or bite the bullet and go with Windows 8.1? Which OS would take best advantage of Mantle in future?

That's a good question. I've been using Windows 7, but I keep hearing that Windows 8.1 offers a surprisingly significant increase in performance.

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to consider a PSU with 650 watts or more, in case you decide to get another R9 280X. 600 should be perfectly fine, and probably more than enough, but better safe than sorry :)And if you do choose another one, you might want to choose a modular or semi-modular one. Much better for cable management (doesn't bother some people, but personally I'm a huge stickler, and can't handle a cluttered case)

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gallowhand

@Maverick6585 said:

@Gallowhand said:

That's a good question. I've been using Windows 7, but I keep hearing that Windows 8.1 offers a surprisingly significant increase in performance.

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to consider a PSU with 650 watts or more, in case you decide to get another R9 280X. 600 should be perfectly fine, and probably more than enough, but better safe than sorry :)And if you do choose another one, you might want to choose a modular or semi-modular one. Much better for cable management (doesn't bother some people, but personally I'm a huge stickler, and can't handle a cluttered case)

Thanks for the advice about the PSU. I'll certainly keep that in mind. :)

As for Windows 8.1 - the question has become academic for me. :/

I've been checking my PC game collection against the Windows Compatibility Center, and far too many are coming back as incompatible. So far I've managed to check 470 PC games (out of 550 in my collection) and only 140 have a tick for compatibility, with 90 not compatible. The remainder either aren't even recognized or their status is unknown. That's a major deal breaker for me, because I don't want to be without any of my games.

I guess I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

That case doesn't come with proper cable management, it will prevent good airflow.

I can recommend Corsair 200/300/400/500R, 230T

Sharkoon REX3/8, T5/9

Antec GX700/900

EDIT: Also if you plan to OC you CPU to 4.6Ghz you'll want 650Watt PSU (Also try to get Antec/Corsair/Seasonic brand if you can)