some advice for steam sale shoppers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

1. make a big wishlist of 20-30 games you would actually want to play

2. dont buy a sale item thats not on your wish list (saves you money on crap)

3. recent games (6 months or less) = 50%+ discount or no buy

4. nothing below 66% discount for games over a year old. 75% is ideal.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Buy as much as you can. After 3-4 sales, you'll hit a wall, realize you'll never play most of them and give up overwhelmed.

Story of my life.

:P

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By drekula2

ive been on steam for years and ive made that mistake

but ever since i decided to stick to my wish list, ive avoided that

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I add stuff to my wishlist when I see it and have an interest in it - makes it much easier to remember and find stuff when there is a sale, plus Steam will email me to say something on my list has gone on sale :)

As for the other comments - I've already done a few sales where I've bought loads and still haven't got round to starting a lot of them - and have seen some come back round at an even cheaper price since. So now I try to hold back unless I know I really have the time to play the game soon, otherwise it will just be added to the list.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts
@flipin_jackass said:

Buy as much as you can. After 3-4 sales, you'll hit a wall, realize you'll never play most of them and give up overwhelmed.

Story of my life.

Yah, I started out with this issue. First sale, I bought pretty much every game that was on sale for $5 or less, but I've found that I either wasn't interested in the game really or just never had the desire to play.

TC actually brings up a good tip with only adding stuff to wishlist you really want

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Great advice thank you very much!

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drekula2

@Cwagmire21 said:
@flipin_jackass said:

Story of my life.

Yah, I started out with this issue. First sale, I bought pretty much every game that was on sale for $5 or less, but I've found that I either wasn't interested in the game really or just never had the desire to play.

TC actually brings up a good tip with only adding stuff to wishlist you really want

Exactly!!

I've made lots of $5 purchases I regretted whilst passing up $10 purchases of games I actually wanted. Looking back, I wish I would've gotten 5 $10 games instead of 10 $5 games just because they were $5.

I'd say it's worth paying a little more for game that you ACTUALLY want to play. So long as it's at least 50% off.

So, if you have $50, it's better to get 3 games you really want than 8 games on impulse.