So the new Thief has gone gold...you buying it?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I think it looks great even with the new stuff to make it more friendly for console users. My understanding is that there are different modes that will allow you to play more "hardcore".

Anyway, only 3 weeks away now...can't wait.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I won't be buying it. I'd rather play the old games again. Even if it does have hardcore options that won't stop them from filtering you through scripted action sequences that can't be skipped.

They've ripped out the one aspect that makes this series unique.

If anyone wants a genuine Thief experience you can buy the first game here on Steam

$7 - its a hell of a lot cheaper. The trilogy collection is also a good option under $20.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BSC14

@biggest_loser said:

I won't be buying it. I'd rather play the old games again. Even if it does have hardcore options that won't stop them from filtering you through scripted action sequences that can't be skipped.

If anyone wants a genuine Thief experience you can buy the first game here on Steam

$7 - its a hell of a lot cheaper.

To each his own I guess. I think you're being incredibly stubborn and will likely miss out on a good experience but it's your call.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

$7 - its a hell of a lot cheaper. The trilogy collection is also a good option under $20.

And which aspect would that be?

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By biggest_loser

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Pure sneaking. Almost all developers today insist on having stealth-action, a hybrid of sneaking and fighting.

Thief is one of the only games to let you avoid the action entirely. You're just a thief, not a fighting machine. Its so rewarding to the tension of the game play and making you feel vulnerable.

Have you played the old games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

Pure sneaking. Almost all developers today insist on having stealth-action, a hybrid of sneaking and fighting.

Thief is one of the only games to let you avoid the action entirely. You're just a thief, not a fighting machine. Its so rewarding to the tension of the game play and making you feel vulnerable.

They said you can sneak all the way through the game without killing anyone, so just do that.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggest_loser

@BSC14 said:

@biggest_loser said:

To each his own I guess. I think you're being incredibly stubborn and will likely miss out on a good experience but it's your call.

I'm not stubborn. I'm just sick of seeing developers catering towards their marketing departments instead of making something unique.

Do your research on the development of this game dude and you'll find a whole of talent jumped ship from this thing because they didn't like what they were designing.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BSC14

@biggest_loser said:

@BSC14 said:

@biggest_loser said:

I'm not stubborn. I'm just sick of seeing developers catering towards their marketing departments instead of making something unique.

Do your research on the development of this game dude and you'll find a whole of talent jumped ship from this thing because they didn't like what they were designing.

I understand but from what I see you have the option to sneak through the game. I never got the impression that you could be a "fighting machine". That said they did clearly make it more appealing towards the people who might not be a fan of nothing but sneaking....as an option. Still I think you're doing yourself a big disservice but like I said, to each his own. I'll play the more hardcore way myself and I'm guessing it will be a great game...hope anyway.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

I can see why you think this is a big thing, however as @FelipeInside said; if you can sneak your whole way through, then I would say that they have kept to their roots. And no I have not played the old games.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 biggest_loser

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

I can see why you think this is a big thing, however as @FelipeInside said; if you can sneak your whole way through, then I would say that they have kept to their roots. And no I have not played the old games.

I'm not trying to be rude here but until you (or anyone) tries the old games you can't really talk about the roots of the series.

You might as well buy Thief: Gold. What have you got to lose right?

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#11 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

Im buying this game when it gets released. The first thief games came out when i was just a kid and played games like crash bandicoot, gran turismo and croc on the ps1. I really dont give a shit about the old thief games, and im glad that this new thief game combine sneaking and action, it will be fun! hopefully it will have a decent story and atmosphere too!

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BSC14

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

I'm not trying to be rude here but until you (or anyone) tries the old games you can't really talk about the roots of the series.

I played them and they were some of my favorite games ever made. The thing is, nothing stays the same....it's a universal law. Just saying you might try it...might be worth the time.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#14 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I will likely buy it at some point, whether I get it on release depends on how well it is received by critics and gamers.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Nope, a Thief: Assassin's Creed doesn't interest me at all. I'll stick with the old games...

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Their was no way they were gonna be able to sell this game if they didn't put alot of focus on the combat.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Meh, I've already played Dishonored and Dark Messiah.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By biggest_loser

@lawlessx said:

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Their was no way they were gonna be able to sell this game if they didn't put alot of focus on the combat.

I don't buy this theory anymore.

Take Splinter Cell Blacklist. A popular series, solid reviews, marketed heavily as being adaptable to various play styles, including both stealth and combat.

No one bought it. It tanked. So suddenly you're going to try do the same thing with a series that's always been about stealth to its fanbase even though it doesn't work with other stealth-action games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@biggest_loser said:

@lawlessx said:

I don't buy this theory anymore.

Take Splinter Cell Blacklist. A popular series, solid reviews, marketed heavily as being adaptable to various play styles, including both stealth and combat.

No one bought it. It tanked. So suddenly you're going to try do the same thing with a series that's always been about stealth to its fanbase even though it doesn't work with other stealth-action games?

What are you going to do if this new Thief gets great reviews even though it has both playstyles available? Still not going to get it?

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#20 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I'll wait to read a lot of reviews, and try to find a good twenty minutes of actual gameplay footage on Youtube before deciding. However, I fear they've ripped the soul out of the franchise. I just hope I'm wrong.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59082 Posts

I read it has quite a few options to turn shit off and make the difficulty harder. But if the core sucks, that wont matter much.

I really enjoyed Dues Ex: Human Revolution so I'll probably give it a wack.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59082 Posts

@-wildflower- said:

Nope, a Thief: Assassin's Creed doesn't interest me at all. I'll stick with the old games...

I'd be amazed if it was that bad. Assassins Creed is such a casualized non game, it's very difficult to actually die. Even in something like Hitman: Absolution (which is Absolutely dumbed down) on harder settings you will die almost instantly.

bjshepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bjshepp
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Take the nostalgia goggles off. You could be a "killing machine" in the previous games. There were several weapons you could purchase that supported lethal play styles. Hell, you could take out multiple guards in Deadly Shadows with gas arrows and bombs. Yes, direct hand to hand combat with multiple enemies was very challenging and wasn't particularly satisfying, but that still seems to be the case with this reboot, based on what I've heard from people who've played it. Perhaps you should play the old games again, before bitching about something that's always been part of the series.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I have it preordered on Steam, and am really excited. Sadly, I have to report to Jury duty the day it releases. I'm really hoping it gets settled out of court so I can go home early and play this seemingly awesome game. It will be the irony of ironies if I end up deliberating on a theft case when I'd rather be at home simulating pilfering of my own.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@bjshepp said:

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Take the nostalgia goggles off. You could be a "killing machine" in the previous games. There were several weapons you could purchase that supported lethal play styles. Hell, you could take out multiple guards in Deadly Shadows with gas arrows and bombs. Yes, direct hand to hand combat with multiple enemies was very challenging and wasn't particularly satisfying, but that still seems to be the case with this reboot, based on what I've heard from people who've played it. Perhaps you should play the old games again, before bitching about something that's always been part of the series.

Yeah, I remember being really lethal in certain play throughs in the original. The best aspect of Thief, and all Looking Glass games is that they gave the player choice and had amazing emergent gameplay. You never felt strong in the original thiefs, though you can still play more like an assassin very successfully than just a thief. That said, I am okay with lethal options. What is more concerning is the lack of a jump button, lack of lean (as far as I remember), and QTEs. Which, in all fairness, as long as QTEs can be avoided, I will still enjoy it (a lot of things in Hitman Absolution I didn't like or agree with, I could completely avoid).

Also I wish Stephen Russel was still voicing Garrett. But in terms of the game, I have no opinion on it until I play it.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

thanks to my gpus I'm getting it free :)

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By biggest_loser

@bjshepp said:

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Those weapons were an absolute last resort and were designed so that they'd attract a lot of noise.

Yes you had a fire arrow but try using those on the guards and see how effective it would be. Lethal playing was totally discouraged.

You're actually better off just sneaking instead of making contact because of how vulnerable you are.

And you haven't put the game on the higher difficulties where it actually instructs you not to kill anyone: 'you're a Thief not a murderer'.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By biggest_loser

@way2funny said:

@bjshepp said:

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Yeah, I remember being really lethal in certain play throughs in the original. The best aspect of Thief, and all Looking Glass games is that they gave the player choice and had amazing emergent gameplay. You never felt strong in the original thiefs, though you can still play more like an assassin very successfully than just a thief. That said, I am okay with lethal options. What is more concerning is the lack of a jump button, lack of lean (as far as I remember), and QTEs. Which, in all fairness, as long as QTEs can be avoided, I will still enjoy it (a lot of things in Hitman Absolution I didn't like or agree with, I could completely avoid).

Also I wish Stephen Russel was still voicing Garrett. But in terms of the game, I have no opinion on it until I play it.

The only proper way to play the game is to sneak and avoid contact as much as possible.

That's reflected in the main character, the mechanics and the higher difficulty levels.

Why would you be an assassin? You're only there to steal things and you want to make as little noise as possible.

The shadows and the silence are more valuable than any lethal weapons - so if you're relying on them to kill guards and blast through you're not immersing yourself.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By way2funny

@biggest_loser said:

@way2funny said:

@bjshepp said:

@biggest_loser said:

@horgen123 said:

@biggest_loser said:

The only proper way to play the game is to sneak and avoid contact as much as possible.

That's reflected in the main character, the mechanics and the higher difficulty levels.

Why would you be an assassin? You're only there to steal things and you want to make as little noise as possible.

The shadows and the silence are more valuable than any lethal weapons - so if you're relying on them to kill guards and blast through you're not immersing yourself.

I prefer playing non lethally, but who are you to tell people they are playing a video game wrong? I went through the game a second time sneaking around but playing lethally, and I was just as immersed as playing non lethally. Sure, higher difficulties required non lethal approaches, but not everyone plays them at the higher difficulties. You can still be lethal in Thief and be quiet. I don't understand what you are getting at. You have a very binary view of thief. You think you can only play it as a complete ghost, or blast your way through it, when there are many shades in between. You can be lethal, quiet, and stealthy. And some people prefer that over nonlethal, quiet and stealthy. There is no denying you needed to be generally quiet, stealthy and stick to the shadows in thief. Though your belief that you must be non lethal is absurd. Looking Glass Studios always valued emergent gameplay and player choice, so if the player chooses to kill people, as long as it doesn't lower the quality of the stealth, I don't see an issue.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FelipeInside

@biggest_loser said:

So play the new Thief sneaking and avoiding contact? like you know.... one of the options available?

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By biggest_loser

@way2funny said:

I prefer playing non lethally, but who are you to tell people they are playing a video game wrong? I went through the game a second time sneaking around but playing lethally, and I was just as immersed as playing non lethally. Sure, higher difficulties required non lethal approaches, but not everyone plays them at the higher difficulties. You can still be lethal in Thief and be quiet. I don't understand what you are getting at. You have a very binary view of thief. You think you can only play it as a complete ghost, or blast your way through it, when there are many shades in between. You can be lethal, quiet, and stealthy. And some people prefer that over nonlethal, quiet and stealthy. There is no denying you needed to be generally quiet, stealthy and stick to the shadows in thief. Though your belief that you must be non lethal is absurd. Looking Glass Studios always valued emergent gameplay and player choice, so if the player chooses to kill people, as long as it doesn't lower the quality of the stealth, I don't see an issue.

I'm telling you because I look at how the game is designed and how the mechanics are balanced. You keep talking about this "emergent" thing and choice.

Even on normal, the game does everything to sway you from making that lethal choice (killing, not knocking out). Its a final resort.

Attacking guards with swords, using mines and fire arrows all create noise and guards also run off and call out for help.

You are vastly out numbered. You are the hunted, not the hunter. You only take a few hits before you die. There are few health replenishments. Your sword is purposely clunky and awkward.

Doesn't that tell you something about how they want you to play? Even though they might not out-rightly say: "You attacked! Mission failed"

Read between the lines.

And for all this talk about choices and such, aren't you concerned then that this new game doesn't seem to give you any choice at all about its bombastic set pieces when you're escaping from guards?

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By way2funny

@biggest_loser said:

@way2funny said:

I'm telling you because I look at how the game is designed and how the mechanics are balanced. You keep talking about this "emergent" thing and choice.

Even on normal, the game does everything to sway you from making that lethal choice (killing, not knocking out). Its a final resort.

Attacking guards with swords, using mines and fire arrows all create noise and guards also run off and call out for help.

You are vastly out numbered. You are the hunted, not the hunter. You only take a few hits before you die. There are few health replenishments. Your sword is purposely clunky and awkward.

Doesn't that tell you something about how they want you to play? Even though they might not out-rightly say: "You attacked! Mission failed"

Read between the lines.

And for all this talk about choices and such, aren't you concerned then that this new game doesn't seem to give you any choice at all about its bombastic set pieces when you're escaping from guards?

The sword is clunky because they failed at making a sword fighting simulator. Read about the development of thief. Arrows and sword attacks from behind, stealthily, does not make noise, just like a blackjack. I do not talk about this 'emergent' thing, Looking Glass Studios, the guys who made Thief 1 and 2, System Shock, and Ultima Underworld keep talking about this 'emergent' thing. What don't you get about, a sneaky sword attack is a kill just like a sneaky blackjack attack is a knock out. Also, knocking someone out is functionally identical to killing someone. They fall, you hide them, and you never have to worry about them anymore.

I am worried about this new thief, but stop changing the subject. I am going to try the game and make my assessment after I play it, like most normal people.

danirobin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danirobin7
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

This game seems promising but I'm not buying it. I'll wait for the watch dog. That game is awesome. BTW, this game is already in my GameFly Q list.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

This new Thief game going gold doesn't excite me as much as the thought of replaying Thief Gold.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

@danirobin7 said:

This game seems promising but I'm not buying it. I'll wait for the watch dog. That game is awesome. BTW, this game is already in my GameFly Q list.

How do you know that game is awesome? It hasn't launched yet.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Probably not. I don't agree with the features they have added.

danirobin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 danirobin7
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It's just my opinion. There are game play videos so it's not too early for me to say so. I like original games and Watch Dog has show me a very unique game-play. I've been waiting for a game like this... so yeah it would be awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

It looks okay so I might give it a try. Never played the original though.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

When I played dishonoured, if I got caught I wasn't happy and would reload and try again, despite the fact that combat was ridiculously easy. I wanted to play the game through as stealthily as possible, avoiding combat when it was optional. Done the same with Deus Ex : HR and I'll do the same with Thief.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Getting it for free from an old GPU, looks pretty good I never played the older games so I don't care about people whining for nostalgia's sake. Looks a lot like Dishonored which I don't mind at all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

@jimmy_russell said:

I've been following the development closely, and there's no chance I would buy it. It's just not the game for me, I'm old school. My feelings are the same as Biggest loser, devs need to start making good games and stop appealing to the masses.

So you already know Thief isn't a good game because you played it?

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 way2funny

@TwistedShade said:

Getting it for free from an old GPU, looks pretty good I never played the older games so I don't care about people whining for nostalgia's sake. Looks a lot like Dishonored which I don't mind at all.

Dishonored was heavily influenced by the original Thief, even in terms of the story arch (especially following Daud's story)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside

@jimmy_russell said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jimmy_russell said:

I've been following the development closely, and there's no chance I would buy it. It's just not the game for me, I'm old school. My feelings are the same as Biggest loser, devs need to start making good games and stop appealing to the masses.

So you already know Thief isn't a good game because you played it?

Yes, and it's not worth the time or the bandwidth I wasted.

Shit, didn't know there was a demo out already...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Just reading the website there. It'll be interesting to see if the Mantle API makes much difference over Nvidia cards.

Still got to laugh at that i7 recommended CPU. :)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

It's an Eidos game, so it'll drop down to $20ish in a couple of months.

I might pick it up then, if the overall impressions aren't completely terrible. I'm not expecting great things though, considering how the devs originally seemed to think that a Thief game should contain the words "Headshot! +50XP".

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BSC14

I'm getting pretty excited for it to be honest. I don't think any game will give the first "OMG" feeling from the original but still a good stealth thief game sounds so good right now.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@-wildflower- said:

This. Between the old Thief games, the fan missions for it, the Dark Mod (missions for that), Dishonored (the extra content for that), there's no need to settle for a watered down experience that caters to the masses.