So looking to buy a new powerhouse computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

So before I explain my sanity in all this and just jumping the gun on probably one of the most expensive investments of my adult life ON TOP of replacing a perfectly good gaming computer id like to say that what you see here isn't really my final build. I expect to probably change up some of this before purchasing sometime before late December. I'm actually hoping to see if anyone can recommend better parts and shoot down anything here that isn't needed or maybe educate me on something that could be rendering something in my wishlist completely obsolete before early 2015. "I am not going SLI but I might one day so I like to keep the option open".

So why am I replacing my gaming computer do you ask? Well in short, I always have a bunch of friends come over and they always want to just jump right on and start blasting aliens away like they own the thing but I thought it would be great if I was able to play some PC games side by side with them like we used to on N64 except with style, but there is more to this then just gaming see I like to render 3d files and I'm somewhat of an artist so technically I need the extra horsepower especially for Android compiling but thats a whole different devil.

Before I continue id like to explain the small things in this build, card reader, case fans, and blue ray burner. I chose these because I like style and functionality, The case on the other hand I actually own on my current gaming setup "non windowed version" and it still to this day is considered by me one of the best PC purchases ever. The case is absolutely beautiful and the way its crafted allows for things to not get cluttered and the airflow is probably the best I have seen on an enclosed case of this type. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in buying a new case but were here to talk about me not you 【=◈︿◈=】

Basics~

Case / Fans / Drive / Reader

~~

CPU

Next is the CPU. This is a no brainier of why I'm choosing this CPU. I like overclocking and I want horsepower for my rendering. I'm also looking to get 5+ years out of this setup so future proofing was heavily in mind.

Motherboard

The motherboard I chose cause to me it seems to be the only one on the market at the moment that can handle that memory speed.

RAM

The memory I chose cause of the Android compiling. It actually requires 16GB which I might end up getting an extra 2 sticks later on anyway so speed and amount of GB was considered with this choice.

SSD

OK now I know allot of people are gonna look at that SSD and call me a nut but the day SSDs were introduced, I always said to myself the day it becomes a price I am comfortable paying for at 1TB is the chance I'm gonna take to buy one and atm it seems semi OK at that price range. I have had a SSD before and I gotta have a new one its not even up for debate.

PSU

This power supply choice I actually am not completely sure about. I chose it because it was 80+ Platinum certified "whatever that means" and it has detachable wiring which would keep the inside of the case looking good. I do plan on having this case out for display so you would be able to see inside.

You may be noticing now that there are 2 things missing here CPU heat sink and the GPU...

I didn't choose the GPU yet because I am nervous about looking at my options atm. I know NVidia likes to push out new cards every 3-4 months and usually have versions that ripoff the consumer compared to a significantly cheaper performance model at the same time AMD looks like they might be doing something right with their end game models so right now I am torn on what I should do. I was planning on waiting till the stacked ram versions NVidia boasted about last year to release and see how they perform.

The heat sink I am totally at a loss on at the moment. I do NOT trust water cooling at all and have had some pretty interesting result with the last one I had. I basically have become a HUGE Zalman fan after getting the 9700s for my 2500K. It keeps the CPU idling at 33c at 4ghz overclock and thats WAY better then the water cooling system it replaced also with prime95 I do not see my CPU ever going above 55c even after a 2 hour test. I think the main reason for that is because its just really a giant block of copper but hey what do I know I'm not a scientist. I want to reuse this cpu heat sink but it seems to not be available for this particular socket type so now I don't even know what to go for anymore.

Lastly I'm defiantly going 4K this year. I usually like to do the dual monitor setup because it helps me while I'm doing coding and modeling so for the Gaming aspect of it I wont ever be using both at the same time but that also depends on their price because I feel like im useing a whole lot of money in this build so far and I don't even have other things like speakers mouse and keyboard yet.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

a wall of text and didn't bother to type the specs eh? not all people registered to newegg

4k is worthless, stupid and a waste of resources.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@TrooperManaic:

tldr for everyone else, TC wants a PC for 3D rendering and gaming at 4k.

Not everyone has Newegg, so your list is useless.

We don't care about your blog or whatever, post your budget and what you intend to use it for and the specs you have in mind at the moment.

Suchagoodidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Suchagoodidea
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Just wonder what is "powerhouse"?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@napo_sp said:

a wall of text and didn't bother to type the specs eh? not all people registered to newegg

@GTR12 said:

@TrooperManaic:

tldr for everyone else, TC wants a PC for 3D rendering and gaming at 4k.

Not everyone has Newegg, so your list is useless.

We don't care about your blog or whatever, post your budget and what you intend to use it for and the specs you have in mind at the moment.

I agree with you guys, I don't have Newegg account and I'm definitely won't make one because I'm interested to see what's his dream gaming rig is.

Also 4K gaming is stupid like been said, unless you go with 50' monitor or above.

@TrooperManaic give me a budget limit and I'll build you a proper gaming rig.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TrooperManaic

My current setup is an I5 2500K oc to 4ghz, 8GB 1333mhz ram, GTX 560TI EVGA Superclocked, 1TB HD, and Asrock Pro3 MB.

I want 4K and I know its technically not needed but I love it and want to use it in some games. Ever since I went to Bestbuy and saw their 30" display model I was blown away by the fidelity. I want around 20-25 inch 4K and I'm kinda firm on that. The reason why I don't have one yet is because there are none that I can afford at 120hz.

BTW my budget is around $4000 not includeing monitors. I am expecting to pay around maybe $1500 or less for both monitors.

Why does this have to be considered a blog? I'm here to discuss PC gaming and computer upgrades possibly even life lessons and stories. You don't have to reply if you don't want to read it.

KyleGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KyleGates
Member since 2002 • 2997 Posts

@napo_sp said:

Gee, thats a rather blanket statement. I play on a 120" screen projected by a Sony 600ES.....4k seems to be quite useful from my point of view.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

4k looks amazing, even on not thet big monitors its worth it imo. If i could afford a 4k monitor+setup to support it i would definetly get it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@TrooperManaic said:

My current setup is an I5 2500K oc to 4ghz, 8GB 1333mhz ram, GTX 560TI EVGA Superclocked, 1TB HD, and Asrock Pro3 MB.

I want 4K and I know its technically not needed but I love it and want to use it in some games. Ever since I went to Bestbuy and saw their 30" display model I was blown away by the fidelity. I want around 20-25 inch 4K and I'm kinda firm on that. The reason why I don't have one yet is because there are none that I can afford at 120hz.

BTW my budget is around $4000 not includeing monitors. I am expecting to pay around maybe $1500 or less for both monitors.

Why does this have to be considered a blog? I'm here to discuss PC gaming and computer upgrades possibly even life lessons and stories. You don't have to reply if you don't want to read it.

You love it? give me 1 good reason why you should buy 4K 30' monitor intead of 1440p 27'?

4000$? ok,

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50HU6950-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00KSBB7FI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410377524&sr=8-3&keywords=50%27+4k+tv since you're so dying for 4K, I think you should get a proper monitor for that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TpYXMp this is the rest of the build, 1Tb of SSD is included but you can reduce it to 250Gb to save about 300$.

The rest of the money? send it to charity, but seriously your budget is way above for gaming, your budget limit set either for workstation or benchmarking, so unless you aim only for gaming my build is ready to go for 4K gaming.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@TrooperManaic said:

No need to get anything new besides gpu, maybe grab 16gb DDR3 thats at 1600 or better your board will handle upto 2800mhz OC, add a SSD and or bigger harddrive if you want.

With 4k wait for the release of Nvidia's new 900 series and see what kind of price they are. With 4k you want 4gb or more with Vram, so you would want AMD's 290 series or Nvidia's 780's 6gb or 900 series with 4gb.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZx9nQ

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

@TrooperManaic: Here are the parts you should upgrade to, and this list excludes some of the parts you have chosen but is compatable with the ones you chose. I just recommended some better parts

Also this crysis warhead gpu benchmark link is probably the most reliable because warhead was not released cross platform at any time, so it is pc focused and exclusive and made with pc's in mind. And here is some more stat's/benchmarks for 4k gaming and 4k monitor article and shows why I chose to go crossfire in my parts list above. This 4k monitor was voted as the best in 2014.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@fnevaeva said:

@TrooperManaic: Here are the parts you should upgrade to, and this list excludes some of the parts you have chosen but is compatable with the ones you chose. I just recommended some better parts

Also this crysis warhead gpu benchmark link is probably the most reliable because warhead was not released cross platform at any time, so it is pc focused and exclusive and made with pc's in mind. And here is some more stat's/benchmarks for 4k gaming and 4k monitor article and shows why I chose to go crossfire in my parts list above. This 4k monitor was voted as the best in 2014.

Are you crazy? a 1000$ CPU but you get cheap on the CPU cooler?

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fnevaeva

@PredatorRules: Trooper did mention "I do NOT trust water cooling at all and have had some pretty interesting result with the last one I had. I basically have become a HUGE Zalman fan"...so i picked a zalman fan.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@fnevaeva said:

@PredatorRules: Trooper did mention "I do NOT trust water cooling at all and have had some pretty interesting result with the last one I had. I basically have become a HUGE Zalman fan"...so i picked a zalman fan.

Don't go watercooling then... there's very high-end air coolers, Noctua for example.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeryGo  Moderator

@fnevaeva said:

Noctua D14 or D15 are the best options on the market for air coolers.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fnevaeva

@PredatorRules said:

@fnevaeva said:

Looks like a very efficient air cooling system. Should be worth the investment. Usually you get what you pay for, and those coolers may be $75+, but will protect your....PRECIOUS!

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@fnevaeva said:

@PredatorRules said:

@fnevaeva said:

Looks like a very efficient air cooling system. Should be worth the investment. Usually you get what you pay for, and those coolers may be $75+, but will protect your....PRECIOUS!

If you get lucky you can pick up a brand new Noctua NH-D14 for 60USD.

I got a new one for that price on Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

If you are doing any sort of professional work a 20-25" monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160 will be a nightmare since scaling is HUGE issue!...

Having to scale things up so they are visible on a 4K 20-25" monitor would completely defeat the purpose of having the extra pixels.

Monitors to go for:

• Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q 32" - 3840x2160
  • LG Flatron 34UM95 34" - 3440x1440

They will give you the pixels and resolution you would want if you want to do anything productive.

Also...

1. i7 5930 is a better choice over the 5960X.
  2. Get the Crucial M500 over the Samsung since it's cheaper but is just as fast.
  3. Get the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU cooler... Its the quietest air cooler and it cools as good as a D15 but costs less.
  4. As for the case... The Corsair 540 is one of the best if not the best solutions if you are going to air cool as it has two compartments so it cools the heat producing components much more effectively since there's hard drive cage blocking the intake and the PSU breaking the air circulation.
  5. Right now the R9 290X 4GB with a after market cooler is without a doubt the card to go with so get two of those since you will need them for 4K... They perform as good as a 780Ti and cost a lot less now, especially in the UK where the difference is £150-200.

So to recap on my recommendation:

• i7 5930
  • Dark Rock Pro 3
  • Motherboard you chose
  • Ram you chose
  • Crucial M500 480GB SSD x2 RAID 0
  • 4TB Caviar Black HDD
  • Corsair 540
  • MSI R9 290X 4GB x2
  • LG UM95 34" 3440x1440 or a Dell UP3214Q 32" 3840x2160

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

GTX970 is supposedly as fast as 290X with HALF the power consumption and $400 price, in less than 10 days people, wait for it.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TrooperManaic

You love it? give me 1 good reason why you should buy 4K 30' monitor intead of 1440p 27'?

4000$? ok,

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50HU6950-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00KSBB7FI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410377524&sr=8-3&keywords=50%27+4k+tv since you're so dying for 4K, I think you should get a proper monitor for that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TpYXMp this is the rest of the build, 1Tb of SSD is included but you can reduce it to 250Gb to save about 300$.

The rest of the money? send it to charity, but seriously your budget is way above for gaming, your budget limit set either for workstation or benchmarking, so unless you aim only for gaming my build is ready to go for 4K gaming.

I have to applaud you for reading my thread /sarcasm. Im not just gaming. Please people if you are gonna suggest parts don't think im only gaming READ my thread.

After this whole thread I decided to just go and get what I want instead of taking suggestions "some respectful people here actually suggested some good parts and have swayed some of my decisions" But to those who think you can come in here and start being the big bad troll and suggest me parts without even reading previous comments then do me a favor and dont even comment because you are not helping me at all.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Personally I'd say keep your rig, double the ram, get a strong newer card(s), and then get yourself some good monitors. Save your money for when the next line of CPU's/mobo's hit the market. Now isn't that time.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TrooperManaic

@doozie78: Yeah I am keeping this rig as a second gaming computer. I love this computer it plays all my games just fine but I find myself sniffled in creativity with 3ds max and autodesk, reason why I chose the 8 core setup is cause 3dsmax fully supports Intels new CPU and can run and compile scripts really fast. What im doing "time = money".

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@TrooperManaic said:

@doozie78: Yeah I am keeping this rig as a second gaming computer. I love this computer it plays all my games just fine but I find myself sniffled in creativity with 3ds max and autodesk, reason why I chose the 8 core setup is cause 3dsmax fully supports Intels new CPU and can run and compile scripts really fast. What im doing "time = money".

Understood. If it's for business then and upgrade may be warranted. If you're wanting gaming performance and have a good PC then I'd surely recommend waiting for the next step up in processing and GPU releases.