so got a new graphics card...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kramernic (124 posts) -

Hey, just finished up plugging my new graphics card into my rig. Installed all the latest drivers. So was very excited.

Anyway, now my monitor, no matter whether I'm in game or just browsing the internet flashes/flickers black, usually the bottom half.

I have tried different monitors, tried different cables and there has been no difference.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Setup:

I7 930 @ 2.8GHZ

6 GB RAM

650 Watt PSU

2GB 760 OC Edition gigabyte

#2 Posted by metroid5 (927 posts) -

could be a bad card.

#3 Posted by kramernic (124 posts) -

@metroid5: thought it might be that. Just wanted to make sure before I returned it. Could it be anything else?

#4 Posted by kraken2109 (13030 posts) -

Have you looked at your display settings? Maybe the card defaulted to something (e.g. refresh rate) your monitor doesn't like.

#5 Posted by kramernic (124 posts) -

@kraken2109: yeah did check that, according to the monitor it should be fine. Its at 60HZ,

#6 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Did you disable onboard graphics?

#7 Edited by PredatorRules (7813 posts) -

Probably a bad card if you've tried it with different screens.

I hate it when you're excited about some sweet new tech and in the end it's broken somehow.

#8 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5328 posts) -

Have you tried re-installing the graphics driver? It's a long shot, but it might be worth doing before you go through the hassle of getting the graphics card replaced.

Just out of curiosity - what graphics card did you get, and from what sub-vendor? Some sub-vendors have better quality control than others.

#9 Edited by skipper847 (3217 posts) -

What cable you used. HDMI to HDMI or DVI to HDMI. If you have not tried DVI to HDMI try that.

I have a gtx670 and the HDMI to HDMI does not work and a blank picture but the DVI to HDMI does work. When I try both at the same time my TV thinks or graphic card thinks it a 2nd monitor threw the HDMI to HDMI for some reason.

#10 Posted by kramernic (124 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma: Got new drivers and tried a fresh install

@PredatorRules: Yeah, was so excited and then in a single flicker of my screen it was all gone haha.

Yeah so I called the online store I bought it from and they said they would take it back and give my money back. Hopefully next time I won't be so unlucky.