Slow boot times on 840 SSD and 990FXA-UD3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Weird_Jerk (578 posts) -

Okay, so I've had my Samsung 840 250GB SSD for about a year now installed using AHCI on my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 r1.1. I've used Samsung Magician to check and it's also only running at about 1/2-3/4 of it's potential read/write, but it's been going strong. I've heard of others installing the 10a update on Gigabyte's BIOS update page for my particular model, so I tried that. I've heard and tried everything from reinstalling windows using AHCI (first install), removing all mechanical drives for install, disabling indexing, disconnecting any external HDDs, etc. I've also never defragmented the drive because I know it just wastes NAND memory. Is there any reason that my windows should take around 90-100 seconds to boot (that's not including the bios splash screen that I like to have enabled) to a fully usable desktop? I'm all backed up and would even be willing to reinstall windows again if required.

#2 Edited by _SKatEDiRt_ (2570 posts) -

I have that same motherboard and a 7200rpm 1tb drive half full and my boot times are a couple mins.

#3 Edited by Weird_Jerk (578 posts) -

I have that same motherboard and a 7200rpm 1tb drive half full and my boot times are a couple mins.

That's a little frustrating to hear. I've heard some other people with their revision 1.1 boards getting down to about 6 seconds. I have two 1TB drives, one internal 7200rpm and an external 5400rpm, and both are pretty full. The external houses all my music, backups of SteamApps, videos, program installs - everything (only 7GB free) - so I really have no concerns with reinstalling.

#4 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2570 posts) -

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

That's a little frustrating to hear. I've heard some other people with their revision 1.1 boards getting down to about 6 seconds. I have two 1TB drives, one internal 7200rpm and an external 5400rpm, and both are pretty full. The external houses all my music, backups of SteamApps, videos, program installs - everything (only 7GB free) - so I really have no concerns with reinstalling.

are you kidding me? that fast? i have 1.2 i believe. so yeah is it just the motherboard that is killing the boot times? my old athlon xp 2200+ booted faster than my current rig with a 80gb hdd Full to the brim

#5 Posted by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

I'm under 10 seconds to boot into Win 8.1 from after I hit the power button. I'm also using an 840. Most definately re-install Windows right away. if the issue persists you have a hardware issue.

My benchmarks with Samsung Magician are pretty much exactly right on the lines as well.

#6 Posted by PredatorRules (7380 posts) -

I boot for like 30 sec fully without SSD but surely not a 100 sec.

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

I have the 840 EVO running on sata 2 so it's capped at roughly half it's max read/write and I boot in less than 30 seconds. Most of that is my old slow mobo - once i login the desktop appears ready in about 3 seconds with all my startup apps.

#8 Edited by Weird_Jerk (578 posts) -

I don't know if it's necessarily the motherboard, but I've read lots of other forums where others suggest that this particular board has some SATA driver issues, and factors such as the board revision and bios version can heavily affect boot speed; though, unfortunately, I have not yet found any conclusive answer pertaining to the correct settings configuration. I just sort of wish I had picked up the ASUS M5A99FX pro R2 board instead. I built 2 computers this past Black Friday for friends with some $50 Seagate 1TBs and they boot up in about 25 seconds. I scratch my head every time I think about where I went wrong with this motherboard...

#9 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2570 posts) -

I don't know if it's necessarily the motherboard, but I've read lots of other forums where others suggest that this particular board has some SATA driver issues, and factors such as the board revision and bios version can heavily affect boot speed; though, unfortunately, I have not yet found any conclusive answer pertaining to the correct settings configuration. I just sort of wish I had picked up the ASUS M5A99FX pro R2 board instead. I built 2 computers this past Black Friday for friends with some $50 Seagate 1TBs and they boot up in about 25 seconds. I scratch my head every time I think about where I went wrong with this motherboard...

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY LOL I just deal with it. but im always looking for a solution

#10 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

try different SATA slots. I had a bunch go bad on an Asus board and it caused huge slowdowns. But it looks like though your sata inputs inside ur motherboard all use the same controller chip so that may not help...

I see that you've got lots of pci-e slots, you could spend a few bucks and buy a SATA controller pci-e card and run your hard drive off that and see if that helps... its about the only other thing you could do next to replacing the whole motherboard or getting a different ssd.

http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-HyperDuo-Brackets-SI-PEX40057/dp/B00AZ9T264

This one above here, someone in one of the reviews used this to fix the very same SSD your having slow speeds with.

Another thing you could test is get an eSATA cable and plug your ssd into the back of your computer since the eSATA on ur motherboard uses a different controller chipset then the one on the internal sata connectors.

#11 Posted by osan0 (12624 posts) -

is there a firmware update for your SSD?

I had an issue where my system would become unresponsive for about 15 seconds when i woke it up from sleep (because 10 second boot times are still 10 seconds too long :P). it would boot faster than resume from sleep.

i updated the firmware on the SSD and it fixed the problem. there was an issue with my SSD and haswell processors.

so it could be worth a look if you havent already.