#1 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

SLI two GTX680.. What would be the positive and negative about this?

How well do SLI generally scale when it comes to two cards? Like is it 80% or more performance in general? Is microstuttering still a big problem?

#2 Edited by soolkiki (1769 posts) -

I have been hearing that it is better than it use to be. But again, it depends on the game. I would surmise that the 80% isn't too far off the mark.

#3 Posted by insane_metalist (6232 posts) -

While I had my 760s in SLI for couple of months, I have not had one problem what's so ever! I did not experience any microstuttering. Nvidia has been doing a pretty amazing job with drivers. In matter of fact, I really enjoyed having two GPUs. I am going to the store to buy my second 780 Ti right now. I will report back if I experience any problems.

#4 Edited by Postmortem123 (7704 posts) -

It's pretty good with Nvidia but I still wouldn't recommend it over a better single card, unless you can get the 680 for super cheap.

#5 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@Postmortem123 said:

It's pretty good with Nvidia but I still wouldn't recommend it over a better single card, unless you can get the 680 for super cheap.

Well I have a chance of getting a used Phantom GTX 680 for 1000 or 1100Nok kr... 165-185$ or so... a new one, reference design, costs 2900 last I checked. The more expensive ones with third party coolers can cost up to 4400 which is almost what I paid for my first one a month or two after the 680 had launched.

#6 Edited by Postmortem123 (7704 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

@Postmortem123 said:

Well I have a chance of getting a used Phantom GTX 680 for 1000 or 1100Nok kr... 165-185$ or so... a new one, reference design, costs 2900 last I checked. The more expensive ones with third party coolers can cost up to 4400 which is almost what I paid for my first one a month or two after the 680 had launched.

Yeah that's a pretty great price. I'd say go for it then, if your PSU and case cooling is up for it.

#7 Edited by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with SLI, used it for years only negative thing about multiple gpu's is extra heat and power draw. and scaling is dependent on the game.

#8 Edited by PredatorRules (8113 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

SLI two GTX680.. What would be the positive and negative about this?

How well do SLI generally scale when it comes to two cards? Like is it 80% or more performance in general? Is microstuttering still a big problem?

As far as I know SLI now second GTX680 is not a good thing due to many things:

previous card is kinda old and has been used for few years so there's no guarantee it will not die in the next 3 years.

the cost of such gpu is pretty high and not worth it since they don't produce it anymore (about 500$ which you can get easy 290 or 780 for that price)

In terms of performance yes it's worth it if you already own SLI capable MOBO and a PSU big enough (about 1000Watts)

#9 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Mobo supports it, PSU is big enough( Corsair AX 750W)... I am still unsure though..

Why is this decision so hard?!?!!?

#10 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3903 posts) -

I was going to SLI my 680 but ended up selling my GTX 680 and then purchasing a 780 Ti.

I don't think there is anything wrong with SLI in its current condition its superb value for money... But what swayed me was the heat, power draw and the fear of VRAM becoming a issue in the following year.

Unfortunately when it comes to hardware every purchase is a stab in the dark.

#11 Edited by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

@PredatorRules: Mobo supports it, PSU is big enough( Corsair AX 750W)... I am still unsure though..

If you can get a a 2nd GTX 680 for under $200 go for it!

I'll make the decision for you DO IT NOW! lol

#12 Edited by PredatorRules (8113 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

Depends on the CPU, if you've got OC 4670k you'll need something bigger than the 750, calculate it here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

And again, don't cry if your old gpu will die in about a year or so - so you might concider how long have you been using your current gpu as well

#13 Posted by insane_metalist (6232 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen123 said:

Depends on the CPU, if you've got OC 4670k you'll need something bigger than the 750, calculate it here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

And again, don't cry if your old gpu will die in about a year or so - so you might concider how long have you been using your current gpu as well

He's had it OC'd on stock voltages. That's how I do it too. This way your GPU won't die faster then it should.

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (8113 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen123 said:

He's had it OC'd on stock voltages. That's how I do it too. This way your GPU won't die faster then it should.

Ok, that still doesn't guarantee you that old gpu that have been used for years won't die soon

#15 Edited by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@insane_metalist said:

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen123 said:

Ok, that still doesn't guarantee you that old gpu that have been used for years won't die soon

His gpu will last longer then he will use it for, before his next upgrade. Ive seen three 8800GT's from 2007/2008 still working to this day. As long as his gpu temps are fine his gpu will be fine for a long while. Also the TC's AX 750w is enough for SLI 680's while his psu usage may peak at 650w its no where near its limit. Those psu calculators tend to be off and play it safe.

#16 Posted by insane_metalist (6232 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules said:

@insane_metalist said:

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen123 said:

His gpu will last longer then he will use it for, before his next upgrade. Ive seen three 8800GT's from 2007/2008 still working to this day. As long as his gpu temps are fine his gpu will be fine for a long while. Also the TC's AX 750w is enough for SLI 680's while his psu usage may peak at 650w its no where near its limit. Those psu calculators tend to be off and play it safe.

I'd have to agree. I believe, his GPU will last him for a long time from now.
A friend of mine has raped his old 8800 GT (he got it brand new). He threw in his parent's rig and it's still running strong!
Also, I have a secondary backup rig (old build) and my GTX 260 is still running as strong as ever!
His GPU isn't old compared to 8800 GT or GTX 260. Both my friend's 8800 GT & my GTX 260 are EVGAs. That is why I keep buying only EVGAs. I believe, horgen123's 680 is also a EVGA. So from my point of view, its got a long life ahead of it! To remind you horgen123's 680 is on water (his temps must be low). That increases its life even more.
As long as you take care of your GPU well, your GPU will take care of you.

#17 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

@Postmortem123 said:

thats the same thing I always had come up, I have a 680gtx but i'll never sli it since getting another 680 isnt cheap enough despite its age. Plus i am weary of microstuttering and extra power usage

#18 Posted by PredatorRules (8113 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@PredatorRules said:

@insane_metalist said:

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen123 said:

It's still a risk, the warranty is off probably by now and about the calculators - they display two results - the exact capacity that you need and the recommended one which is always a 100watts above.

#19 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

A friend of mine has raped his old 8800 GT (he got it brand new). He threw in his parent's rig and it's still running strong!

Also, I have a secondary backup rig (old build) and my GTX 260 is still running as strong as ever!

His GPU isn't old compared to 8800 GT or GTX 260. Both my friend's 8800 GT & my GTX 260 are EVGAs. That is why I keep buying only EVGAs. I believe, horgen123's 680 is also a EVGA. So from my point of view, its got a long life ahead of it! To remind you horgen123's 680 is on water (his temps must be low). That increases its life even more.

My current one is a MSI Twin Frozr III however it is with water cooling. I've seen people on this forum before use two 670, 3570K OC'ed to 4.2 or 4.4 on a 650W PSU without any problems.

@04dcarraher said:

Well then you can't go wrong if you follow them so I see why.

@insane_metalist said:

After I put on the waterblock, it has never been above 45C. Actually it has never been above 44C. :P

#20 Edited by Postmortem123 (7704 posts) -

Your PSU is more than enough, I don't know why people are saying otherwise. Even with an OC'd sandybridge-E and 680 SLI power draw is under 600W.

A 680 only consumes ~170W.

#21 Edited by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

@Postmortem123 said:

Your PSU is more than enough, I don't know why people are saying otherwise. Even with an OC'd sandybridge-E and 680 SLI power draw is under 600W.

GTX 680's max TDP is 195w and if their overclocked expect upto 225w even with 225w two of them at peak only at 450w which leaves 300w for everything else.

#22 Edited by Postmortem123 (7704 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@Postmortem123 said:

GTX 680's max TDP is 195w and if their overclocked expect upto 225w even with 225w two of them at peak only at 450w which leaves 300w for everything else.

TDP doesn't = power draw. In Guru3D's review the reference card pulls 173 Watts. And that's peak power draw, not average.

#23 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4013 posts) -

@horgen123: I only got rid of my 680's because I had the 2Gb versions. I play @ 1440 so I wanted to be sure I had enough frame buffer to not get caught short.

If you have 4Gb definitely go for it.

If you play @ 1080p go for it.

If not I'd either wait for Max or get a 780Ti or Titan Z :D

#24 Posted by Postmortem123 (7704 posts) -

^It scares me to think how much the Titan Z will cost in Norway.

#25 Edited by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

@Postmortem123 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@Postmortem123 said:

TDP doesn't = power draw. In Guru3D's review the reference card pulls 173 Watts. And that's peak power draw, not average.

TDP goes hand in hand pretty closely with full power draw. the wattage(power) gets converted into heat which determines how much cooling is needed to dissipate the heat. You dont see 1:1 ratio but TDP gives you an ballpark estimate of how much power the device can draw upto.

Also that power draw of 173w is typical full load power draw not its max. 680 sees 170-185w normally the 680 peaks upto 190w depending on gpu load, but max draw with something like furmark is 228w. guru3d does not use furmark anymore for full blown 100% usage. And if your using non reference clocks expect more usage.

#26 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@horgen123: I only got rid of my 680's because I had the 2Gb versions. I play @ 1440 so I wanted to be sure I had enough frame buffer to not get caught short.

If you have 4Gb definitely go for it.

If you play @ 1080p go for it.

If not I'd either wait for Max or get a 780Ti or Titan Z :D

Titan Z... I will still want two of those bad boys.

I play at 1200P, got the 2GB versions.

@Postmortem123 said:

^It scares me to think how much the Titan Z will cost in Norway.

Hasn't been given a price here yet. It is around 2999$ in US? If so I assume it will cost another 500-800$ more here.

#27 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4013 posts) -

This will whet your appetite

#28 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6243 posts) -

Only if they are 4GB version would I think its a good idea to sli them 2GB no way would I recommend doing it not enough VRAM it will bottleneck you in future games even at only 1080p.

#30 Edited by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint: Ah yes, I want to buy a GPU which costs more than my computer ever did. :P

Anyway it seems I have to put this purchase on a hold:( Damn bills.