Skyrim vs The WItcher 2 opinions?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GTA_MGS_1
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts

What are your opinions?

Right I know there is a lot of discussion on different websites and I know they are completely different games in a sense but I was looking for Gamespot opinions and they are both RPG's, fire ahead!

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#2 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Skyrim = world

Witcher = story

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I personally preferred The Witcher 2 but only because Skyrim's world didn't draw me in and the story is a load of bollocks. Both games have mediocre combat, The Witcher has a much more interesting story and characters though.

they are very different RPG's so its difficult to definitively say one is better than the other, depends a lot on personal preference.

It looks like TW3 is drawing inspiration from Skyrim so we may get the best of both worlds with that game.

Avatar image for The_Animator420
The_Animator420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Animator420
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Skyrim = world

Witcher = story

Pretty much this^

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Skyrim is much more accessible

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#6  Edited By SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

Replayed Skyrim two times and i really enjoyed it.It can get repetitive and story/characters are little bland but it's a great RPG with great modding community,a must play.

I'm playing W2 right now,it is my 6th playthrough of the game and i'm not bored.Amazing story and characters,challenging combat,believable world and even after two years the game still looks amazing.
It's one of my favorite RPGs so i will go with the Gwynbleidd.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

Story - Witcher 2

Graphics - Witcher 2

World - Skyrim

Replayability - Skyrim

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Skyrim is much more accessible

The Witcher 2 is pretty accessible. It is kind of linear and everything is pretty straight forward. You go to a bulletin board get missions and get some by talking to NPCs then do the objective.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

@th3warr1or said:

Story - Witcher 2

Graphics - Witcher 2 unless Skyrim is modded

World - Skyrim

Replayability - Skyrim

There I fixed this because modded Skyrim with high res textures and enbs look amazing.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Witcher 2 was great to play through once, but I've had a lot more fun replaying through Skyrim as different classes. I've put in a lot more hours in Skyrim than I have with Witcher 2.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Story - Witcher 2

Gameplay - Witcher 2

Visuals - Witcher 2

Replayability - Witcher 2

Graphics - Witcher 2

W2 > TES V

There :D

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I've logged way more hours into skyrim than I have TW2. Personally, I prefer Skryim mainly because of the world and the whole exploration aspect of it. However, I do love me some Witcher when I want a good old fashion fantasy story-telling. I loved it the whole way through, though it doesn't have a re-playability that Skyrim offers. So like the others were saying:

Skyrim: world

Witcher: Story

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

At the end of 2011 I gave Witcher 2 the nod over Skyrim

However given the extra hours I put into Skyrim since that time, I would probably reverse it. Both great games.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#14 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

The Witcher 2 > Skyrim.

However, if you don't care for narrative, characters or really anything of that sort and just enjoy running around a world you can make an argument for Skyrim.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

I'd say W2>Skyrim, but I've spent 10fold more time in Skyrim than in TW2.

Billieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Billieguy
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts

Skyrim. To begin with, it is one of my favourite games. I love the freedom it offers, I like the way you can just take a walk in the woods and discover a Necromancer fortress with sweet loot and spelbooks inside. And most of all, the modding community is hands down one of the best- if not THE BEST- out there. Creating your own character from the ground up is just amazing, and casting epic spells while you began from a simple flame is rewarding as f***.

On the other hand, I have heard so many good things about TW2 that I really wanted to get into it. And belive me I tried. Three times. And I uninstalled the game after 3-5 hours of gameplay each time. I loved the visuals. I enjoyed the story. But it didn't have that something needed to keep me invested in the game like Skyrim did.

So there you have it:

• Visuals: Vanilla TW2< Modded Skyrim
  • Combat: Same, there are some quality mods out there
  • Story: TW2
  • Freedom: Skyrim
Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I prefer Skyrim on everything but the combat mechanics.

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

At the end of 2011 I gave Witcher 2 the nod over Skyrim

However given the extra hours I put into Skyrim since that time, I would probably reverse it. Both great games.

I am exactly in your situation.All things considered i cant chose between the 2.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

the first reply nailed it.

overall i prefer the more open world type games, because of the exploration and replay value, so i'd go with skyrim

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

You guys mentioned "world" and inserted Skyrim. They are designed differently. Skyrim is open-world. The Witcher 2 is linear, with some semi-openness which can't even be categorized as open world. Wait till The Witcher 3 comes out. But when I think of world, I think of the game's universe... and I stay The Witcher has a much more interesting Universe than TES's. The characters alone are miles, and miles more interesting than any TES characters.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Skyrim's gameplay is pretty shallow and unexciting for the most part. Too small of skill pool, insignificant perks, low gear variety, etc. for an open-world RPG. Incredibly easy game as well. I'd say The Witcher 2 is better in just about every way.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Skyrim's gameplay is pretty shallow and unexciting for the most part. Too small of skill pool, insignificant perks, low gear variety, etc. for an open-world RPG. Incredibly easy game as well. I'd say The Witcher 2 is better in just about every way.

Yup, this. Skyrim isn't bad by any means.. it's one of those games where it's about quantity over quality. It tries too hard to tackle too many premises that leads to mundane sidequests and missions with less than memorable characters and adventures. The skill trees are a joke.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#23 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Skyrim comfortably. Its one of the most absorbing worlds I've ever seen. I could play that game for hours and still find something new. The Witcher 2 was a dog's breakfast when it came out and I've had little desire to revisit it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

anybody else think its strange the word Fun, only came up once in this thread ?

Well, not me. RPGs have always lacked decen't gameplay Mechanics

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

The Witcher 2.. loved everything about that game.. i found myself having to force my way through skyrim to finish it

psych2416256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psych2416256
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

Modded Skyrim > Witcher 2 >>>Vanilla Skyrim.

It's game is rotten to it's core. After about 15 hours of gametime is falls appart. The only way to cover up the stench is immersion mods, and ignoring any of the main story and every bit of dialogue and try to make a story in there yourself

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

The Witcher 2 is a better game in every conceivable way. Barring that shitty last boss fight.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Skyrim was boring, The Witcher 2 was great.

psych2416256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 psych2416256
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

Been playing both games these days.

Flotsam / Lobinden is one of the best and most vibrant I've seen in video games. A lot of attention went into it, it's better made than any Skyrim city and it's just a backward dump. Can't wait to see Witcher 3's Vizima maybe. However that's where the brilliance ends, Henselts Camp and Vergen are a lot more static and feel like less less.

Most useful mods for Skyrim that are not graphical mods I'm using right now are Alternate Start, Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Skyrim hands down

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Witcher 2 is barely above average. Linear environment, shoddy combat mechanics, boring dialogue, quick time events.

Skyrim at least exhibits an ideal which goes far beyond anything the Wticher 2 can hope to accomplish. That ideal is true free form gameplay, the player can build a character to their specifications, whether it is magic, archer, melee, two hand/ shield, stealth etc. The Witcher 2 comes no where close to this with only three paths being alchemy/signss/melee and all three paths are quite mundane. Skyrim allows free form exploration where as TW2 is mostly linear with environments which push the player from one environment to the next. Skyrim allows the player to join multiple factions from thievery/assassination/melee/magic/vampire/werewolf, and then there's the civil war aspect and the main quest and then the DLC content which introduces new lands and new factions. Skyrim allows the player to purchase homes, acquire horses, build homes, acquire followers. Skyrim provides in-depth mod tools which allows players to truly make their own content and adventures exhibiting the same ideal as old school pen and paper board games. Skyrim allows in-depth modification of the visuals which allows the game to be one of the best looking modern RPGs even by todays standards.

For people who are looking for a computer "RPG" and not just a linear adventure game with dilogue and some adult content then SKyrim is much better.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flubbbs

@ShimmerMan said:

Witcher 2 is barely above average. Linear environment, shoddy combat mechanics, boring dialogue, quick time events.

Skyrim at least exhibits an ideal which goes far beyond anything the Wticher 2 can hope to accomplish. That ideal is true free form gameplay, the player can build a character to their specifications, whether it is magic, archer, melee, two hand/ shield, stealth etc. The Witcher 2 comes no where close to this with only three paths being alchemy/signss/melee and all three paths are quite mundane. Skyrim allows free form exploration where as TW2 is mostly linear with environments which push the player from one environment to the next. Skyrim allows the player to join multiple factions from thievery/assassination/melee/magic/vampire/werewolf, and then there's the civil war aspect and the main quest and then the DLC content which introduces new lands and new factions. Skyrim allows the player to purchase homes, acquire horses, build homes, acquire followers. Skyrim provides in-depth mod tools which allows players to truly make their own content and adventures exhibiting the same ideal as old school pen and paper board games. Skyrim allows in-depth modification of the visuals which allows the game to be one of the best looking modern RPGs even by todays standards.

For people who are looking for a computer "RPG" and not just a linear adventure game with dilogue and some adult content then SKyrim is much better.

ban

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@ShimmerMan said:

My thoughts exactly. Skyrim is miles better than TW2 IMO.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Well I've got about 90 mods running on Skyrim and because of that it is now a game in a league of it's own. The Witcher 2 is a great game, but it's difficult to beat a modded out skyrim experience.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#35 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

The Witcher 2 is pretty overrated in my opinion. I can't tell how good the story is because the gameplay is so linear and crappy I can't stand to play through it. Have given it several tries but the fun just is not there for me and the story is not good enough to make up for it. I am tired of the console combat in my PC games personally, this is what turns me off from games like this and Batman. I much prefer the feeling of a 1st/3rd person fps type of gameplay like Skyrim, this type is too arcade-like for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ShimmerMan said:

That was a long explanation to tell us you basically know nothing about RPG's.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

@vfibsux said:

The Witcher 2 is pretty overrated in my opinion. I can't tell how good the story is because the gameplay is so linear and crappy I can't stand to play through

The game-play is not linear in the slightest. Skyrim is an incredibly linear game and an example of how not to make a sandbox environment.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vfibsux

@uninspiredcup said:

@vfibsux said:

The Witcher 2 is pretty overrated in my opinion. I can't tell how good the story is because the gameplay is so linear and crappy I can't stand to play through

The game-play is not linear in the slightest. Skyrim is an incredibly linear game and an example of how not to make a sandbox environment.

Absurd, simply absurd, ridiculous, laughable, and illogical. You cannot seriously believe this. TW2 is non-linear....and Skyrim IS linear? Seriously? Go home dude, you're drunk.

Look, if you want to like one over the other for your own reasons....cool. Story, graphics, atmosphere, lore, etc. But to say this is flat out untrue. Something being linear is fact, not opinion. You may be able to change the course of the story, but as far as gameplay goes you are forced along a path in TW2, period. You cannot change this fact no matter how fanboy you wanna be about it. And that's okay if you are cool with it, just don't lie about it and call others out for not being into it.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Skyrim is more as an open-world game where you can become whatever race, class and whatever type of bandit you want to be on the road, not forced to finishing the main quest. I still enjoyed The Witcher 2 though and just started another playthrough of it but I've found myself engaged in Skyrim more.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Flubbbs

@vfibsux said:

The Witcher 2 is pretty overrated in my opinion. I can't tell how good the story is because the gameplay is so linear and crappy I can't stand to play through it. Have given it several tries but the fun just is not there for me and the story is not good enough to make up for it. I am tired of the console combat in my PC games personally, this is what turns me off from games like this and Batman. I much prefer the feeling of a 1st/3rd person fps type of gameplay like Skyrim, this type is too arcade-like for me.

the witcher 2 is overrated? LOL Skyrim, while i like it alot, is probally one of the most overrated games this generation. everything about TW2 is better. its not completely linear either, theres alot of open areas. but to be honest, they are totally different games and shouldnt even be compared

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Macutchi

@Flubbbs said:

@vfibsux said:

the witcher 2 is overrated? LOL Skyrim, while i like it alot, is probally one of the most overrated games this generation. everything about TW2 is better.

not familiar with the concept of opinions eh?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Flubbbs

@Macutchi said:

@Flubbbs said:

@vfibsux said:

the witcher 2 is overrated? LOL Skyrim, while i like it alot, is probally one of the most overrated games this generation. everything about TW2 is better.

eh, yea im familiar with those, eh, i just gave my opinion back, eh... eh?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vfibsux

@Flubbbs said:

@vfibsux said:

the witcher 2 is overrated? LOL Skyrim, while i like it alot, is probally one of the most overrated games this generation. everything about TW2 is better. its not completely linear either, theres alot of open areas. but to be honest, they are totally different games and shouldnt even be compared

So you are questioning me for saying a game I do not like is overrated.....yet in the same post you are saying a game you DO like is overrated? You don't find that odd?

Completely linear, not completely linear....I really do not care which. Botton line is TW2 is too linear for me, is that good enough for you?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Macutchi

@Flubbbs said:

@Macutchi said:

@Flubbbs said:

@vfibsux said:

eh, yea im familiar with those, eh, i just gave my opinion back, eh... eh?

do you have a stutter?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The Witcher 2 is an excellent RPG.

Skyrim is an all-around poor game.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

Well I've got about 90 mods running on Skyrim and because of that it is now a game in a league of it's own. The Witcher 2 is a great game, but it's difficult to beat a modded out skyrim experience.

Yeah the modding community for Skyrim is just crazy. The vanilla experience I thought was just ok, but for every problem I had with the game I've found mods that deal with it. There's even a few promising total conversions coming out for it in the next year or so.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 uninspiredcup

@vfibsux said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@vfibsux said:

Absurd, simply absurd, ridiculous, laughable, and illogical. You cannot seriously believe this. TW2 is non-linear....and Skyrim IS linear? Seriously? Go home dude, you're drunk.

Look, if you want to like one over the other for your own reasons....cool. Story, graphics, atmosphere, lore, etc. But to say this is flat out untrue. Something being linear is fact, not opinion. You may be able to change the course of the story, but as far as gameplay goes you are forced along a path in TW2, period. You cannot change this fact no matter how fanboy you wanna be about it. And that's okay if you are cool with it, just don't lie about it and call others out for not being into it.

Oh it's true. From the opening of the game you direct how the story goes. Who lives, who dies. The outcome of events and depending on how you play the player can end up in a completely different area with a completely different set of quests and end game. It has nonlinear choice and consequences. Skyrim, does not. It is a theme park ride practically devoid of any of this. A large environment does not equal non linear gameplay. The extend of Skyrims "non linear gameplay" is choosing which armor and what linear heme park ride to go on with nothing of value between them.

And even within the context of that, is is badly designed. Stealth? God mode. Stealing? God mode. Bows? God mode. Unkillable NPC's? God mode.

With certain games mods are to enhance gameplay. With Bethesda games it's usually an attempt to make it an actual working video game. Skyrim is an action game not an RPG. And a very poor action game at that.

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#49 SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

uninspiredcup some people just don't get it. :/

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vfibsux

@SteXmaN said:

uninspiredcup some people just don't get it. :/

Yea when people disagree with you it is because they don't get it....that's the problem. You guys can show all the level maps and crap you like, it is about how the game plays not what you can explain in a post. When I PLAY the witcher I feel constrained and it feels linear, that is ALL that matters to me. Get the **** over it.

You fanboys keep going on about which game is better as a fact, I am simply saying which one is better for me. It is YOU who do not get that. Perspective is a bitch I guess.