Krazrek67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Krazrek67
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

hi i was wondering if anybody has encountered the problem where skyrim just crashes to to desktop. And not for any specific reason either. It is completely random. One minute i am playing and the next i am staring at my computers desktop. I have a windows 8 and all the required systems to run skyrim. If it is any difference i did purchase the game from steam, but i do not have any of the DLCs. I have at least 30 mods but they are not the problem. So if any knows how to fix this i would really apreciate it. I have checked the internet multiple times, searched many forums, but non were of any help. I just want to play skyrim normally again and i am open to any suggestions.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

A few things come to mind that might help you out. Try playing with no mods to see if that helps. Also, try updating your video card drivers, or roll them back an update or two. If your video card is overclocked, try setting it back to its default settings. Also, trying lowering the game detail level down a notch to see if that helps.

Did this just start happening? Have you checked your temps? Are you having any other problems with your computer or is it just happening on Skyrim?

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

This happens when the game runs out of RAM. It cuts instantly to the desktop, no warning, no error message, just...nothing.

And yes, it can be made worse with mods. It's also possible the character save is old and full of clutter. How many hours does it have on it?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

It's probably the mods. Check you load order, make sure the mods aren't interfering with one another, and if all else fails add more ram.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

yea i have come accross this also.

i have always had this problem but usually it would happen once every 2 weeks or so. since then i have added a lot of graphical mods to it and it happens more often. this is also on a save with 200 hours on it that was created using the release version of skyrim. so basically im just asking for trouble :P.

there are a few things that may help. if you have extended the draw distance and tweaked the number of trees drawn and things like that then look at tweaking the memory management. there are a couple of mods out there that allow you to improve the memory usage. this wont necessarily fix the problem but it may buy you more time before crashes. if you are using an ENB then also make sure it is aware how much video ram you have (the game would freeze on me simply because it thought i only had 1GB of vram. i have 4).

the other thing is get a tool called BOSS (i think there may be a newer tool out now...but searching for BOSS will lead you to it). this will sort your load order and should improve stability.

another thing to keep an eye out for is clashing mods. this can be much harder to track so if none of the above has helped then unload a few and try again.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

@6_Dead_360s: IF you are using skyrim script extender which if your running 30 mods you probably do, but on the off chance your not its supposed to fix this problem if im not mistaken. Yea if you have 30 mods I could be the mods. It might not be them conflicting, but the mods may be pushing the limits of your machine. Enbs can really do this if your using one. IF you have removed a few mods that can also cause your save file to become cluttered. You can get on skyrimnexus and find save file cleaner that can help alot. If you check the size of your save files and its pretty high than that may be the culprit.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Skyrim crashes for me occasionally when I quick save, and sometimes during an autosave. I've come to live with it :/

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@krazrek67 said:

Skyrim crashes to desktop.

What else is new?

Seriously though, find the actual location of your save files, and check how big they are. You might have the bloated save file bug.