Simcity 5. Worst launch of all time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

Probably the worst combo of DRM, broken mechanics, server issues not to mention the only public response to the whole gaggle**** is a deceptive, untrue refund statement. 

Can you guys think of any worse launches?

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
nope
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
At least in the last 15 years I've been playing PC games.
wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

I've never heard of a game launching with so many problems. Not to mention the PR stunt they pulled. Ya your unhappy? Request a refund. It's just to bad we don't give them out.  **** like that is why I don't buy EA products.

guildwars2hub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 guildwars2hub
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

It took me around 2 hours to download on the fasted coonection you can get in the highlands, After a short time trying to claim my city and it not letting me I was away with no problems after that I even unlocked achievements even though they said they would disable them after seeing alot of negative posts about this game , I was fearing the worst but either I got liucky or people are just moaning because its ea (not saying they dont deserve it).

My dl speed ids around 1mbps.

wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

It took me around 2 hours to download on the fasted coonection you can get in the highlands, After a short time trying to claim my city and it not letting me I was away with no problems after that I even unlocked achievements even though they said they would disable them after seeing alot of negative posts about this game , I was fearing the worst but either I got liucky or people are just moaning because its ea (not saying they dont deserve it).

guildwars2hub

I keep seing posts like this on the internet. New people on forums with a single post saying the game has zero problems. Well hello there EA employee. Nice to meet you.

guildwars2hub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 guildwars2hub

I made this account before guild wars 2 came out..... I would be a great employee advertising another game.

guildwars2hub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 guildwars2hub

[QUOTE="guildwars2hub"]

wazzap76

I keep seing posts like this on the internet. New people on forums with a single post saying the game has zero problems. Well hello there EA employee. Nice to meet you.

my account was created july 24 2012 just checked I gave a youtube account on this name I never use aswell....

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="guildwars2hub"]

wazzap76

servers can be going for good few hours before they go down SO ya IF you get get past the server issue. game is GREAT. Lately for last 4 hours it's been smooth. NOW with that said. 2hours to download? umm. it's a 255MB download...
LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

Not really. D3 came close, but they fixed it quickly. Now THIS is a whole other story...

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

- Diablo3

- Ultima Online

Just a few that I personally had worse exerience with at launch.

Its been a bad launch no doubt, but hardly the first time ive experienced this type of thing with onlien always games or mmos. Could see this happening from a mile away.  Whats sad is the actual game is a ton of fun, its just that the servers have been horrible, I sort of feel bad for Maxis, they made some enjoyable gameplay but this whoel server mess really made it a terrible launch and that will sting, even if the game does get the server issues fixed and patched up.

Despite the horrible launch for Ultima Online (took a good two weeks for alot of terrible issues to get fixed, look at the gs review for that game), 2-3 weeks later it went frmo a super dissapointing game to my favorite mmo of all time and I played it for years after that. Yes the first week was terrible but after that I had a blas tfor years, so yes on day one it was not a very good game but week or two later it was a ton better. If the server issues get worked out I can see myself playing this game for quite awhile.

Anyways, just my two cents

guildwars2hub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 guildwars2hub

[QUOTE="wazzap76"]

[QUOTE="guildwars2hub"]

k2theswiss

servers can be going for good few hours before they go down SO ya IF you get get past the server issue. game is GREAT. Lately for last 4 hours it's been smooth. NOW with that said. 2hours to download? umm. it's a 255MB download...

dl and install*

guildwars2hub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guildwars2hub

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="wazzap76"]

guildwars2hub

no edit >.< dl install and update.

dl and install*

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Aside from Diablo 3 and Half Life 2, this is up there.
Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts
U obviously never played SWG in 2003.
andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

It's not the worst. Not by a long shot. It might be the worst to happen to a big franchise though.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Darkfall's launch was pretty bad, if not worse.
Avatar image for slantedandencha
slantedandencha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slantedandencha
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts

its been pretty bad, diablo 3 had me more irritated, mainly because i really, really wanted to play it.  simcity is a lot of fun when it works properly.  i do think it's funny at all of the meltdowns that people are having via social media.  i haven't gotten upset about it, probably because i have a ton of other games i'm playing too (tomb raider, just bought starcraft 2 as well).

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
outside of the MMORPG realm this is easily the worst launch of all time.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

For such a high profile title sure. However, smaller budget games and MMOs have had far worse.

lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 lightingbird
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

guildwars2hub
Ha yea right. Sounds like one of the fake Chinese posters. Anyway, I am waiting a week or so to see if things pan out before I get the game. Then again I might not depending If I keep seeing bad posts about it.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Diablo 3 was nowhere near as bad as this at launch.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Dungeon Lords

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

HyperWarlock
It was, but for a much shorter amount of time.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#25 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

For such a high profile title sure. However, smaller budget games and MMOs have had far worse.

Wasdie
I'll concur with this as well. There have been some indie games that have been really bad, Legends of Pegasus last year springs to mind. But this seems to be the worst high profile title launch I have seen in long while by far..
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Didn't Sword of the Stars II take 4 months to get to a playable state?
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Didn't Sword of the Stars II take 4 months to get to a playable state?blangenakker

Totally forgot about Sword of the Stars II, probably because I dodged it after the reviews even though I really wanted to get it.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Diablo was bad on launch night with the error code. And for a little while afterwards with lag spikes and lag in general, but they fixed it eventually.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

HyperWarlock

For me it was worse at D3's launch, so was Ultima Online and Sword of the Stars II

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

WarZ seems to have had an even worse start.  But that game is total s***, perhaps that makes it less of an issue since SimCity minus DRM is supposedly a damn good game.