Simcity 5, EA, and cake

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Velo222
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
So I am excited about the new Simcity that's coming out soon. However, it looks like the city size is going to be very limited, and in my opinion this will not be a good thing. Sure the graphics are upgraded and the glassbox engine is cool looking, but Simcity has always been about creating that urban sprawl in my opinion. Add on the fact that EA has it's hands on this and I'm expecting a very limiting gaming experience. Perhaps another, "hey this game is cool" for about 4 days, then the lack of lasting quality EA is famous for will kick in, and there will be bugs, crashes deep into the game, and restricted network connectivity problems in order to even be able to play. Sure there will be some redeeming qualities in the game, but not enough to keep you around for long. Anyways, yes I despise EA, but I always end up buying there games anyways. Mainly because they now own most of the game series/franchises that I liked in years past lol.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

So I am excited about the new Simcity that's coming out soon. However, it looks like the city size is going to be very limited, and in my opinion this will not be a good thing. Sure the graphics are upgraded and the glassbox engine is cool looking, but Simcity has always been about creating that urban sprawl in my opinion. Add on the fact that EA has it's hands on this and I'm expecting a very limiting gaming experience. Perhaps another, "hey this game is cool" for about 4 days, then the lack of lasting quality EA is famous for will kick in, and there will be bugs, crashes deep into the game, and restricted network connectivity problems in order to even be able to play. Sure there will be some redeeming qualities in the game, but not enough to keep you around for long. Anyways, yes I despise EA, but I always end up buying there games anyways. Mainly because they now own most of the game series/franchises that I liked in years past lol.Velo222
Um, do you realize that both SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 were published by EA? Your anti-EA post seems strange after you see to love the franchise EA had a huge hand in...

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

You think the advanced simulation could run in Mega-City One?

Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Velo222
Yes I do realize this, toxicseahorse. And I also remember the first Simcity and Simcity 2000, which were really fun, and they were not made by EA. So I tend not to think of EA as having a huge hand in the initial success of the Simcity franchise.......because they didn't. And while my first post was kind of an anti-EA post (for other games as well), I am still hoping that this new Simcity turns out to be really fun too.
Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Velo222

Baranga
Yes that's what I'm wondering. It seems like to they'd have to keep the city sizes relatively small in comparison to Simcity 4 or even Simcity 2000 in order to get that advanced simulation, as well as to compensate for the new graphics. I'm not sure though, I'm just guessing there. Hopefully the gameplay makes up for it.
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
Yes I do realize this, toxicseahorse. And I also remember the first Simcity and Simcity 2000, which were really fun, and they were not made by EA. So I tend not to think of EA as having a huge hand in the initial success of the Simcity franchise.......because they didn't. And while my first post was kind of an anti-EA post (for other games as well), I am still hoping that this new Simcity turns out to be really fun too.Velo222
Yes they did. Simcity 3000 and 4 were more successful than 1 and 2000.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse

Yes I do realize this, toxicseahorse. And I also remember the first Simcity and Simcity 2000, which were really fun, and they were not made by EA. So I tend not to think of EA as having a huge hand in the initial success of the Simcity franchise.......because they didn't. And while my first post was kind of an anti-EA post (for other games as well), I am still hoping that this new Simcity turns out to be really fun too.Velo222
Surly you can't deny that SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 approved on SimCity and SimCity 2000 tremendously. Also, the game isn't being made by EA, it's being made by Maxis. EA is publishing, just like for SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4.

Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Velo222
[QUOTE="Brean24"] Yes they did. Simcity 3000 and 4 were more successful than 1 and 2000.

They were successful because of 1 and 2000. Games which EA had no part in at all. So no, the inital success of the Simcity franchise was not because of EA. EA bought Maxis and made decent Simcities since then, but only "decent" in my book. Not great or as flexible and fun. And definitely introduced some annoying features, such as regions. You can't claim EA made Simcity successful. That's just laughable.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="Velo222"][QUOTE="Brean24"] Yes they did. Simcity 3000 and 4 were more successful than 1 and 2000.

They were successful because of 1 and 2000. Games which EA had no part in at all. So no, the inital success of the Simcity franchise was not because of EA. EA bought Maxis and made decent Simcities since then, but only "decent" in my book. Not great or as flexible and fun. And definitely introduced some annoying features, such as regions. You can't claim EA made Simcity successful. That's just laughable.

To put it mildly, you have no idea what you're talking about, but no problem, some people are simply made stupid by their own hate focused on what is that actually isn't.
Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Velo222
Surly you can't deny that SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 approved on SimCity and SimCity 2000 tremendously. Also, the game isn't being made by EA, it's being made by Maxis. EA is publishing, just like for SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4.Toxic-Seahorse
Well I'm not totally hating on Simcity 4. Simcity 4 is decently fun. But I don't think Simcity 4 improved upon the older Simcity's tremendously at all. I think it's graphics improved tremendously, yes, but it's gameplay stayed about the same, and then actually regressed in other areas (such as regions as I mentioned previously). Having to save my city, exit out to a region, load up another smaller city, work on it, save that city, load back out to a region, load back into my other main city, work on it some more etc...... ad nauseam, is not really fun for me. Don't get me wrong, Simcity 4 is fun, but I don't think it's as big of an improvement upon the other Simcities, if you've played them before? Simcity 4 also suffered a lot from sims not actually utilizing the public transportation like the should, and the routes were pretty funky. Not really gamebreaking, but definitely annoying. So was Simcity 4 an improvement? I'd say yes, but not by leaps and bounds by any means.
Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Velo222
[QUOTE="DanielDust"] To put it mildly, you have no idea what you're talking about, but no problem, some people are simply made stupid by their own hate focused on what is that actually isn't.

That the original Simcity wasn't made by EA, and neither was 2000? I think you just didn't know this, and so now all you have left to do is call people names, because that's all you really wanted to do in the first place, am I right? Btw the cake is delicious, and I am looking forward to this new Simcity. Hope it's good.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I was in the beta. Or rather what should have been titled a "pre-release demo."

Its good, and its fun. But it wont please a hardcore Simcity 4 fan. Theres definitely room and potential, especially given time and modding. But the base game appeals more to a The Sims gamer who wants a bit more depth. Armchair urban planners might be a tad disappointed.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust

EA DOESN'T MAKE SIM CITY, get it already for the love of smurfs and EA had more than a little to do with Sim City 2000, the only one they didn't influence almost at all was the first game only.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

the sim city devs doesn't want it be like the old days where you just keep throwing down buildings or throwing 10 of the same building types downin the same area because one isn't enough. They want the player to build on what they have by upgrading your buildings

thats what i take from it at least

Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Velo222
Daniel, I know EA is the publisher and they don't actually make the game. I know this. But that doesn't mean they don't have their fingerprints on it, or have high level game direction suggestions, or some level of influence on how the game is directed etc.....
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 k2theswiss

So I am excited about the new Simcity that's coming out soon. However, it looks like the city size is going to be very limited, and in my opinion this will not be a good thing. Sure the graphics are upgraded and the glassbox engine is cool looking, but Simcity has always been about creating that urban sprawl in my opinion.

Add on the fact that EA has it's hands on this and I'm expecting a very limiting gaming experience. Perhaps another, "hey this game is cool" for about 4 days, then the lack of lasting quality EA is famous for will kick in, and there will be bugs, crashes deep into the game, and restricted network connectivity problems in order to even be able to play.

Sure there will be some redeeming qualities in the game, but not enough to keep you around for long.

Anyways, yes I despise EA, but I always end up buying there games anyways. Mainly because they now own most of the game series/franchises that I liked in years past lol.Velo222

your not a very good boycotter... Money talks not comments

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust

Daniel, I know EA is the publisher and they don't actually make the game. I know this. But that doesn't mean they don't have their fingerprints on it, or have high level game direction suggestions, or some level of influence on how the game is directed etc.....Velo222
EA owned Maxis ever since Sim City 2K was made, they had as much influence on 2K as they did on this last one, your points are all irrelevant and all you're showing off in this thread is blind hate, you don't know what you're talking about, you don't really know what you want and it's clear you don't even want to know what it is that you actually want to prove, all you know is that EA is evil and you hate them, no need for logic and common sense.

P.S I said that as actual development, but technically EA made every Sim City since and including 2K, of course the company that owns a company isn't just a publisher...you either accept that EA was responsible for 2K and above, in turn you accept that Sim City 2013 has the same status, or you despise EA for SC 2013 and everything till 2K, you can't select what you want according to your whimsical hate, based on games you actually played and ones you purely speculate and what you feel has more EA and what has less when it's all "FULL EA".

Anyway, you said it yourself...so I guess there was no need for an actual discussion "Anyways, yes I despise EA, but I always end up buying there games anyways. Mainly because they now own most of the game series/franchises that I liked in years past lol." AKA " OLOL guyse, I R cool like youse haters, please give me attention, but YUNO YOLO I buy their games anyway, haha, I'm too cool".

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Yall realise also that this map we used in beta will not be the medium map size..Thats the small map an even the beta map at that..If you look at simcity 4s medium map size it isnt that bad really..As we all love the larger maps..The medium size maps are find..Perhaps later on they will add the larger maps..I did enjoy beta very much and had a blast..Going from city to city isnt that hard either very easy btw..Im not sure if your right on the save situation for the real game..Your alowed to have up to fiive friends playing in a area..So how would u save bye going to your friends city an back to yours..It doesnt make any sence..Any how give me a break on the nit picking of ea already..Sure they killed some games but produced real good ones..Cnc was a total failure on there part..Crysis still remains great, an there owned bye ea..Bioware has fallen apart of late..They did apologize for that mess called dragon age 2..Simcity societies was a complete waste of time..They shouldve just built simcity an been done with it..Nah they had to try a really dumbed down mess..They thought they can make a game just as good as tropica i guess and failed..So give it time simcity may still suprise us..It sure gave me hope when i tried the beta..Because i was worried myself going into beta..Try just to remember that was a beta map as well...

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k2theswiss

Yall realise also that this map we used in beta will not be the medium map size..Thats the small map an even the beta map at that..If you look at simcity 4s medium map size it isnt that bad really..As we all love the larger maps..The medium size maps are find..Perhaps later on they will add the larger maps..I did enjoy beta very much and had a blast..Going from city to city isnt that hard either very easy btw..Im not sure if your right on the save situation for the real game..Your alowed to have up to fiive friends playing in a area..So how would u save bye going to your friends city an back to yours..It doesnt make any sence..Any how give me a break on the nit picking of ea already..Sure they killed some games but produced real good ones..Cnc was a total failure on there part..Crysis still remains great, an there owned bye ea..Bioware has fallen apart of late..They did apologize for that mess called dragon age 2..Simcity societies was a complete waste of time..They shouldve just built simcity an been done with it..Nah they had to try a really dumbed down mess..They thought they can make a game just as good as tropica i guess and failed..So give it time simcity may still suprise us..It sure gave me hope when i tried the beta..Because i was worried myself going into beta..Try just to remember that was a beta map as well...

Gladestone1
you talk about map sizes YET there was interview with them on ign or gamespot few weeks ago and they said there isn't no setting for that. Then the interviewer asked is there currently plans for that in dlc or update in future they replied that they have no pl,ans ATM for it.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I haven't played a game developed nor published by Electronic Arts for over a year now. And I can say, it is a great feeling falling in love with your old games again. I have a new appreciation for the community behind Valve and their games because of it. I'd never buy another EA product as long as I'm alive.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="SKaREO"]I haven't played a game developed nor published by Electronic Arts for over a year now. And I can say, it is a great feeling falling in love with your old games again. I have a new appreciation for the community behind Valve and their games because of it. I'd never buy another EA product as long as I'm alive.

Nice bog post there. Super cool story.
Velo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Velo222

I was in the beta. Or rather what should have been titled a "pre-release demo."

Its good, and its fun. But it wont please a hardcore Simcity 4 fan. Theres definitely room and potential, especially given time and modding. But the base game appeals more to a The Sims gamer who wants a bit more depth. Armchair urban planners might be a tad disappointed.

XaosII
Well that is good to hear Xaosll. While I probably fit under the "Armchair uban planner" type, as long as the gameplay is fun I'll be okay with it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see :)
Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts
It sounds like the game will run like an MMO where the content is on the server, so there will never be a crack, you'll have to log into private servers.
iorya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 iorya
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts
Managed by EA this game will be a failure.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Baranga
yes, the limitation on city sizes is in place because EA want to reduce the load on their servers because a lot of the calculations have been moved server side to kill piracy. Similar thing happened to Diablo 3.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonafidetk
It sounds like the game will run like an MMO where the content is on the server, so there will never be a crack, you'll have to log into private servers.Tixylixx
The server side part of simcity might never accurately be recreated. So far nothing of note has happened with Diablo 3 emulation. Unless of course the pirates got bored of trying since Diablo 3 was a miserable failure of a game.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bonafidetk
Daniel, I know EA is the publisher and they don't actually make the game. I know this. But that doesn't mean they don't have their fingerprints on it, or have high level game direction suggestions, or some level of influence on how the game is directed etc.....Velo222
modding? Never gonna happen on the new simcity. EA said that about a few titles in recent times and nothing ever came of it. Just another bit of marketing to get people to buy their game. They know really modding wont happen. How else will they sell their $5 buildings in the DLC cash shop?
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

[QUOTE="Velo222"]So I am excited about the new Simcity that's coming out soon. However, it looks like the city size is going to be very limited, and in my opinion this will not be a good thing. Sure the graphics are upgraded and the glassbox engine is cool looking, but Simcity has always been about creating that urban sprawl in my opinion. Add on the fact that EA has it's hands on this and I'm expecting a very limiting gaming experience. Perhaps another, "hey this game is cool" for about 4 days, then the lack of lasting quality EA is famous for will kick in, and there will be bugs, crashes deep into the game, and restricted network connectivity problems in order to even be able to play. Sure there will be some redeeming qualities in the game, but not enough to keep you around for long. Anyways, yes I despise EA, but I always end up buying there games anyways. Mainly because they now own most of the game series/franchises that I liked in years past lol.Toxic-Seahorse

Um, do you realize that both SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 were published by EA? Your anti-EA post seems strange after you see to love the franchise EA had a huge hand in...

For a long time, EA was a good company that made great games. In the last half-decade, though, they have turned evil and only turn out garbage. I never buy EA these days but I once was an EA fan. That's the simple truth of the situation. Why is that hard to understand?

Also, Will Wright (the creator of Sim City and everything Sim) left Maxis a long time ago. The current Sim City had no influence from him at all.

GeForce2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeForce2187
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
I'm pretty sure SimCity 2000 was before the EA purchase, I think the first Maxis game under EA was Streets of SimCity which was an add-on game for SimCity 2000. It came out maybe 3 years after the original game.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I'm not sure if i'm a fan of sim building games yet lol. I bought Anno 2077 + all the DLC off steam not too long ago but have yet to touch it. I'm sure if i allow it i can sink some heavy hours into this game but i'm guessing SimCity 5 will be better right? (lol stupid question).

I'll have my eyes on this game and see how it goes.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust
I'm pretty sure SimCity 2000 was before the EA purchase, I think the first Maxis game under EA was Streets of SimCity which was an add-on game for SimCity 2000. It came out maybe 3 years after the original game.GeForce2187
The purchase of Maxis lasted quite a few years, it was allover gaming magazines in the 90s, they didn't own Maxis completely at that time, but they were slowly buying the company, EA was part of and influenced SC 2K more or less at its time.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k2theswiss

I'm not sure if i'm a fan of sim building games yet lol. I bought Anno 2077 + all the DLC off steam not too long ago but have yet to touch it. I'm sure if i allow it i can sink some heavy hours into this game but i'm guessing SimCity 5 will be better right? (lol stupid question).

I'll have my eyes on this game and see how it goes.

BattleSpectre
who knows. anno is a wonderful game!
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
This game will most likely be the biggest disappointment of 2013. Given EA's recent offerings and business practices, I don't think this game will be better than Sim City 4.