Should there be regulation against 1st day DLC or DLC ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I want to hear comments on this. I can't be the only one here to prefers EXP that have a large amount of content over small DLC that add blood, give one item, or some other stupid junk that a small amount of population get that feeds this first day DLC trend.

Rome 2, ME III, Dragon Age Inquisition, and many other games seem to be following this trend also where they lock content that is there on release date unless you pay an extra X amount of money in order to unlock it because they decided to call it DLC

I also believe this trend is getting more popular with younger generations who tend to pre-order or use parents money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying about someone having more money. I have money, even if I didn't, I have the means of getting the games for free, DUH, we all do, right.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Berserker1_5 said:

I want to hear comments on this. I can't be the only one here to prefers EXP that have a large amount of content over small DLC that add blood, give one item, or some other stupid junk that a small amount of population get that feeds this first day DLC trend.

Rome 2, ME III, Dragon Age Inquisition, and many other games seem to be following this trend also where they lock content that is there on release date unless you pay an extra X amount of money in order to unlock it because they decided to call it DLC

I also believe this trend is getting more popular with younger generations who tend to pre-order or use parents money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying about someone having more money. I have money, even if I didn't, I have the means of getting the games for free, DUH, we all do, right.

If Day 1 Patch = fixes and optimizations they couldn't fit into the retail release then I'm all for it

If Day 1 Patch = extra content locked, DO NOT agree at all

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Companies should be free to release content however they see fit, it's their product so they can release it however they want. Us gamers should be smart enough however to call their bullshit and not buy the games that have release models we don't like. Until this happens companies will continue to take advantage of us.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

No thanks. The practice can be regulated easily by consumers, but the majority choose not to.

No need for more dumb laws.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58853 Posts

Gaming has no watchdog so the greedy **** run wild.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

As long as people continue to buy horse armor DLC ain't going away anytime soon. You can't regulate stupid.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

No. But there should be regulations against making bad games haha

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

no laws needed..people just need to learn how to vote with their wallet. knowing that DLC is already on the disc and still buying it doesn't help fix the problem

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I agree that consumers should enforce this by not buying games or content that use shady business practice.

-Byshop

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Depends what it is. If it's just an extra weapon for pre-ordering in an rpg with literally hundreds of weapons already I don't really care. If it's half hour plus of missions/story I'd be a bit more pissed! I tend to vote with my wallet if this happens and I'll just pick it up when it's dirt cheap or something.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

No but I'm still surprised how many people buy the trash. We can't tell people how they can and cannot waste their money.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

The BBB and other consumer watchdog advocates could get their brands more recognized in the gaming industry though. It would be great if Steam plastered an "approved" or "not recommended" label next to certain publishers/devs who continue to pump out bullshit with zero QA and no customer support.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The only day one DLCs that I ever called bullshit on was for Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. charging $7-$10 for extra story related companions was terrible.

Everything else just feels so minor in comparison. Sure, it's dumb to charge for weapon packs or character skins, but I have a hard time actually caring about that stuff.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#17 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Who would police that? Nobody can do that on PC and only MS or Sony or Nintendo can enforce that on the consoles (they would not because profits lol)

I much prefer sizable DLC content, but I can see why people would buy small packs for games they love.

F2P games are a much bigger threat to gaming as you like it.

Shryke888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shryke888
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

There should be a law that allows someone to come into your house and smack you forcefully across the face if you buy a game during launch week. Very forcefully.