Should I go with a regular hdd or ocz vector ssd?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22114 posts) -

so my ocz agility died twice already this year, and I was wondering if should go with a vector or maybe a regular hdd to boot up with windows 7. the pc shop has kingston ssd's but I think they are out of my range

#2 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

I'd stick with an SSD for the OS, maybe ditch OCZ though and go for something a bit more reliable like a Kingston, Intel or Corsair

#3 Edited by bonafidetk (3820 posts) -

Shop online for a SDD and you'll find a bargain but avoid cheap makes. I recommend a SSD for the OS and regularly played games. Then get a HDD for storage and less frequently used stuff.

#4 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23476 posts) -

you kind of need a ssd, everytime I try to use a computer with a hard drive it feels like agony

#5 Edited by FelipeInside (25345 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

so my ocz agility died twice already this year, and I was wondering if should go with a vector or maybe a regular hdd to boot up with windows 7. the pc shop has kingston ssd's but I think they are out of my range

I would stay away from anything OCZ, they are the "Acer" of computer parts.

Intel and Samsung SSDs are the best, but also most expensive. Look into SanDisk Extreme SSDs, I have one and its great.

#6 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23476 posts) -

i've had great luck with all my OCZ drives so far. I got them late though, and apparently the newest firmware fixed all the issues.

Agility 3, and two vertex 3's. I do recommend sandforce drives, they're very fast.

Avoid TLC nand if you plan to keep your ssd for more than 5 years and write to it a lot. (samsung 840)

The new ssds like the crucial m500 use 20nm processing so those also have a shorter lifespan even though they are MLC.

I'd get a kingston hyperx drive, deal on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045

#7 Posted by lhughey (4225 posts) -

Get a Samsung. The 840 Evos have a great price and are very reliable. @JigglyWiggly_makes a point about no getting a TLC drive if you do a lot of writing to it. He is correct, but I think the amount of writing you have to do to have less than a 10 year span is close to 40gigs a day. Not many people are doing that. Most people do less than 1 gig of writing a day. Unless you're doing HEAVY video encoding, the device is likely to run for more than 10 years. Read Anandtechs article for details. They suggest that the drives should last close to 18 years for most people. And the drive is close to the speed of the 840 Pro SSD's.

Did I mention how much I hate this new forum?

#8 Posted by True_Sounds (2889 posts) -

I have a SanDisk SSD as well which was fairly cheap and I've been happy with it so far.

#9 Edited by lostrib (34996 posts) -

That deal Jiggly linked to is pretty good but it's only for today

#10 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5289 posts) -

OCZ drives aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They had issues with their firmware initially, but that's more or less fixed now. I've had two OCZ Vertex 4's in RAID 0 for over a year now and have had no issues. People are most likely basing their opinions on the early reviews which weren't very favorable, but are now irrelevant due to FW updates.

#11 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma: You mean like the OP who has had two failures this year?

#12 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5289 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma: You mean like the OP who has had two failures this year?

Damn, should have read the OP. In that case, maybe it's for the best he avoid OCZ.

#13 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22114 posts) -

anyways I talk to the shop a few days ago and he said he can get me a kingston or maybe intel hdd if I wait till nov 15. im sure the owner isn't lying because he was ok taking my ssd with out the invoice warranty paper. I live in southeast asia for the guy who was asking to order it online but buying it online is out of the question.

#14 Edited by Daious (1149 posts) -

Vector is great if you get the latest firmware instantly. All the faulty problems have been fixed.

#15 Edited by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

if you go with a HDD get a velociraptor.

if you go with SSD get a samsung 840 pro.

#16 Posted by Daious (1149 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

if you go with a HDD get a velociraptor.

if you go with SSD get a samsung 840 pro.

Samsung evo is almost as good. I recommend the evo/pro. Vector isn't bad anymore after the fixes though.