Should I get this or nah

#1 Edited by ominous_titan (728 posts) -

I know this isn't really a sw type topic so forgive my insolence (other forums are meh)

Found this ad while looking for gaming pc and wonder if it's any good, I'd like to be in the mid-high end range and for it to upgraded later on. They're asking 1250 Canadian and I'd try get it without the monitor CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

GPU: MSI N660-2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply & New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX High Performance CF Gaming Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case (Personal Customization)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5 (CLP0608) 120mm Untouchable CPU Cooler

Monitor: S230HL 24"

OS Installed: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

OS Disc: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

OS Keys: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Licensed), Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Licensed)

Additional Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL

Additional GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GT 610 Synergy Edition 2GB

Additional HDD: 500GB Western Digital Sata 16MB Cache

Additional HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 250GB

I am selling the computer and everything else (HDD's, OS Keys, Discs, Memory, GPU) listed for a total of $1250.00.

PS. I will throw in heavily used (still working well) Razer DeathAdder 3500 DPI gaming mouse, Razor Arctosa, Red Turtle Beaches and a unused, unboxed Microsoft Skype headset.

So what say ye of the master race?

#2 Posted by lostrib (37634 posts) -

go to pcpartpicker and price it out.

#3 Posted by ominous_titan (728 posts) -

Honestly the price isn't my main concern I'm more interested in knowing if it's going to be any good , I want a great gaming experience not top of the line but not low end either so I can play the best the PC world offers without issues

#4 Posted by Heil68 (45148 posts) -

I would build your own for that price and you would enjoy much better performance.

#5 Posted by ominous_titan (728 posts) -

I'm impatient, think I better research a bit. Thanks!

#6 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2852 posts) -

I'm not familiar with some of the comp. brands on that, so i can't say if teh price is a good match.

However, i've never bought parts, or even a full pc, used. For 1250, you should be more than capable of building a great quality rig. Unless you want top of the line, more than 1000, even in dollars, is probably overkill.

#7 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

@ominous_titan: moved it to the PC & Mac forum because that's where it belongs.

#8 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5067 posts) -

i got this from gaff, u are better off building ir own pc

#9 Edited by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

I don't know about Canadian price but I expect you'd want more than a 660 for that money.

#10 Edited by Doozie78 (335 posts) -

I would vote "Nah". Get a build with a better card for starters. I'd also get a larger SSD and merge the two extra hard drives into a single hybrid drive and with 1.5tb storage space at the very least or step that up to 2tb+. Some of the other parts are pretty decent though, the cpu, the ram, and the mobo would serve you well.

I'd say build your own using some of those parts as the guide (minus the HD's and the graphics card). You'd get it cheaper I'd presume and end up with a better build in the end. If you really can't be bothered to build you own then by all means get that build, just keep in mind that the graphics card is pretty gimped.

#11 Posted by ominous_titan (728 posts) -

I appreciate the advice , rather asked dumb question then make a dumb purchase

#12 Edited by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

I know this isn't really a sw type topic so forgive my insolence (other forums are meh)

Found this ad while looking for gaming pc and wonder if it's any good, I'd like to be in the mid-high end range and for it to upgraded later on. They're asking 1250 Canadian and I'd try get it without the monitor CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

GPU: MSI N660-2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply & New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX High Performance CF Gaming Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case (Personal Customization)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5 (CLP0608) 120mm Untouchable CPU Cooler

Monitor: S230HL 24"

OS Installed: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

OS Disc: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

OS Keys: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Licensed), Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Licensed)

Additional Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL

Additional GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GT 610 Synergy Edition 2GB

Additional HDD: 500GB Western Digital Sata 16MB Cache

Additional HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 250GB

I am selling the computer and everything else (HDD's, OS Keys, Discs, Memory, GPU) listed for a total of $1250.00.

PS. I will throw in heavily used (still working well) Razer DeathAdder 3500 DPI gaming mouse, Razor Arctosa, Red Turtle Beaches and a unused, unboxed Microsoft Skype headset.

So what say ye of the master race?

The GPU is a welcome to the club newbie range not medium-high.

Get a new GPU and then you can game.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/9yGkHx this is my build for such money and you can add another 290 down the line.

#13 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

I appreciate the advice , rather asked dumb question then make a dumb purchase

I wish more people were like you

#14 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

Don't buy it.

CPU and mobo is good. Capable of OC. GPU is no good. GTX 760 should be doable for that kind of money if you build it yourself I believe. The additional GPU is a piece of ****...

#15 Edited by Coseniath (940 posts) -
@kraken2109 said:

@ominous_titan said:

I appreciate the advice , rather asked dumb question then make a dumb purchase

I wish more people were like you

+1.

This setup is nice and it will play all games today at least at high settings at 1080p.

The GPU is the weak spot of this setup, which you can upgrade later with a GTX8xx model if you like.

This offer is really good, people here don't know about canadian prices so they might tell you the offer is not good.

If you would try to place this offer at pcpartpicker you would see that they have cutted a lot of $$$.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vq6Bzy

Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vq6Bzy/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($367.50 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0608 99.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.00 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.99 @ NCIX)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.71 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($103.75 @ Vuugo)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $1314.70

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-12 07:46 EDT-0400

And this price doesn't includes monitor or aditional parts.

But you can build a better gaming machine if you like cause some of the parts are very powerful while the GPU is weak.

If you plan to buy a new GPU (GTX8xx) in the near future then buy this offer. But if you don't want to buy a new GPU, its better to try and make a system with minimum GTX760-GTX770 with these $1250 like this $1220 PC.

#16 Edited by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

If you would try to place this offer at pcpartpicker you would see that they have cutted a lot of $$$.

Don't forget it's 2nd handed, if the prices were match as if buying brand new from store no one would have second thoughts.

#17 Posted by Coseniath (940 posts) -
@PredatorRules said:

@Coseniath said:

If you would try to place this offer at pcpartpicker you would see that they have cutted a lot of $$$.

Don't forget it's 2nd handed, if the prices were match as if buying brand new from store no one would have second thoughts.

Oh I didn't noticed that. OP doesn't wrte anything about the parts are used parts.

If this is true then this changes a lot of thing. I thought this was an offer from a store...

Well if this is a used PC, then @ominous_titan you should try to buy a new one with 4670K/4690K, 8GB RAM and GTX770 (or better).

#18 Posted by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

@Coseniath said:

If you would try to place this offer at pcpartpicker you would see that they have cutted a lot of $$$.

Don't forget it's 2nd handed, if the prices were match as if buying brand new from store no one would have second thoughts.

Oh I didn't noticed that. OP doesn't wrte anything about the parts are used parts.

If this is true then this changes a lot of thing. I thought this was an offer from a store...

Well if this is a used PC, then @ominous_titan you should try to buy a new one with 4670K/4690K, 8GB RAM and GTX770 (or better).

Well he did write a used gaming mouse and extra crappy stuff such as Zotac GeForce 610 etc

#19 Edited by Coseniath (940 posts) -
@PredatorRules said:

Well he did write a used gaming mouse and extra crappy stuff such as Zotac GeForce 610 etc

Yeah but also next to it talks about an unboxed headset. I can't judge the entire system from a single part. I would prefer a clarification from @ominous_titan, if he can...

#20 Edited by ominous_titan (728 posts) -

it was used ,i went to look at it .it seemed to be running fine but i got him to open it and well he smokes inside and it dust and nicotine stuck inside so i passed on it.thanks for all the advice i appreciate it. im not giving up but im going to have one made for me i think