Should I get Guild Wars 2?why?(plus other questions)EDIT-5/16/-MoreOpinionsPLZ

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GNation00
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts
I'm thinking of getting Guild Wars 2 but I'm not sure if I should. I mean the game looks epic but I have seen some bad and good reviews. Also I'm wondering if I'm too late too get it? Is the player base still large and growing? How much longer do you think this game will last? If I play Tera now and enjoy it, should I bother with Guild Wars 2? Whats the game play, graphics, community and player base comparison between Guild Wars 2 and Tera? Does the game-play for Guild Wars 2 (PVE) FEEL like multiplayer and not just a single player campaign? Whats your overall opinion on Guild Wars 2? Please answer as many questions as you can :) Thank You
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

GW2 is weird that its not like other mmo's where you look for groups. You basicly play solo but when events happen people gather and they all share in the rewards. You'll also see people doing same quest you're doing but instead of bothering you the more people around the better to help with your quest. But have been playing with a friend every week and it works well teamed with someone also. The game is still very active even in the starter zones i saw lots of people.

This game is unique in the way it plays and rewards you for everything you do. Every zone as several things to do in order to complete it like Vista, points of interests, ect.. In gw2 there is no tank or healer types, every class has some type of heal and instead of tanking you avoid being hit while fighting.

I've never even tried the pvp but the pve is well worth it if you like mmos and don't have to bother with stupid monthly fees. I can't comment if better than other recent mmos since i don't do Pay mmo's anymore and quite happy with gw2.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

i like it

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GNation00

GW2 is weird that its not like other mmo's where you look for groups. You basicly play solo but when events happen people gather and they all share in the rewards. You'll also see people doing same quest you're doing but instead of bothering you the more people around the better to help with your quest. But have been playing with a friend every week and it works well teamed with someone also. The game is still very active even in the starter zones i saw lots of people.

This game is unique in the way it plays and rewards you for everything you do. Every zone as several things to do in order to complete it like Vista, points of interests, ect.. In gw2 there is no tank or healer types, every class has some type of heal and instead of tanking you avoid being hit while fighting.

I've never even tried the pvp but the pve is well worth it if you like mmos and don't have to bother with stupid monthly fees. I can't comment if better than other recent mmos since i don't do Pay mmo's anymore and quite happy with gw2.

Sleepyz
Thanks for the detailed reply. So based on what you said, are the quests practicly only single player or can you easily do them with friends?
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23902 Posts

[QUOTE="Sleepyz"]

GNation00

Thanks for the detailed reply. So based on what you said, are the quests practicly only single player or can you easily do them with friends?

Most events are soloable, some events will require groups or a lot of time to complete though (group events). The game scales up to the number of players doing an event though so in a group you wont kill everything with only one spell from you. Furthermore, unlike some mmos out there *cough* WoW *cough*, the game does not penalize you for grouping with other players in non-instanced areas.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Wow, I literally had the exact same question a few months ago and I too was playing Tera. I still haven't got GW2 yet but I am definitely going to get it as well. You may be able to find more info in my thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29365258/tera-online-or-raiderz-which-one-is-better
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

i highly recommend dragonbrand server or fort aspenwood. they do very well in the PvP aspect and their PvE side is of a "healthy" size (relatively speaking)

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GNation00
[QUOTE="nini200"]Wow, I literally had the exact same question a few months ago and I too was playing Tera. I still haven't got GW2 yet but I am definitely going to get it as well. You may be able to find more info in my thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29365258/tera-online-or-raiderz-which-one-is-better

Cool. When you get it let me know :)
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nini200
[QUOTE="GNation00"][QUOTE="nini200"]Wow, I literally had the exact same question a few months ago and I too was playing Tera. I still haven't got GW2 yet but I am definitely going to get it as well. You may be able to find more info in my thread:

I will as well as ionusx and BrunoBRS as they helped me alot with making my decision to buy it.
GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GNation00
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="GNation00"][QUOTE="nini200"]Wow, I literally had the exact same question a few months ago and I too was playing Tera. I still haven't got GW2 yet but I am definitely going to get it as well. You may be able to find more info in my thread:

I will as well as ionusx and BrunoBRS as they helped me alot with making my decision to buy it.

What made you officially decide to get it?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The game is mildly amusing but got stale pretty quick for me.. The game has nice visuals but pretty poor presentation due to a lackluster story and not much of a real narrative or drive.. Add in the fact that progression is extremely limited in both leveling and gear, that the gameplay really doesn't change after you get a handful of levels unfortunately.. Your character literally looks exactly the same for dozens of levels.. Which just illustrates that mmorpg combat in general is sh!t if it doesn't have the kind of long term goals, progression and overall choices pitched in..
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="GNation00"] Cool. When you get it let me know :)GNation00

For one, they have sales on the game (I was not willing to pay full price on the game), Two, it seems to have a fairly large user install base at least on the Dragonbrand and Fort Aspenwood Servers as ionusX and BrunoBRS tell me and 3, I feel that, even though I don't like the Targeting system that the game uses (I like Tera's battle engine much better as you actually have to aim to hit your target - similar to Monster Hunter) but I can actually manage with the battling engine. Being a Lancer on Monster Hunter, GW2 having no lance weapon was a turnoff which is another reason I chose to go Tera as of now.

I'm still iffy on the character creation as it seems a bit lacking and the weapon selection doesn't seem that vast at least from what I've seen but I'll have to see when I buy it on sale.

I just feel like GW2 is a bit expensive at the asking price of $50/$60 but I will buy it for $30/$40 max.

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GNation00
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="GNation00"][QUOTE="nini200"] I will as well as ionusx and BrunoBRS as they helped me alot with making my decision to buy it.

For one, they have sales on the game (I was not willing to pay full price on the game), Two, it seems to have a fairly large user install base at least on the Dragonborn Server as ionusX and BrunoBRS tell me and 3, I feel that, even though I don't like the Targeting system that the game uses (I like Tera's battle engine much better as you actually have to aim to hit your target - similar to Monster Hunter) but I can actually manage with the battling engine. Being a Lancer on Monster Hunter, GW2 having no lance weapon was a turnoff which is another reason I chose to go Tera as of now.

I'm still iffy on the character creation as it seems a bit lacking and the weapon selection doesn't seem that vast at least from what I've seen but I'll have to see when I buy it on sale.

I just feel like GW2 is a bit expensive at the asking price of $50/$60 but I will buy it for $30/$40 max.

Would you say that Tera might be better in some cases? Because if so, I mine as well stick with Tera.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="GNation00"][QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="GNation00"] What made you officially decide to get it?

For one, they have sales on the game (I was not willing to pay full price on the game), Two, it seems to have a fairly large user install base at least on the Dragonborn Server as ionusX and BrunoBRS tell me and 3, I feel that, even though I don't like the Targeting system that the game uses (I like Tera's battle engine much better as you actually have to aim to hit your target - similar to Monster Hunter) but I can actually manage with the battling engine. Being a Lancer on Monster Hunter, GW2 having no lance weapon was a turnoff which is another reason I chose to go Tera as of now.

Would you say that Tera might be better in some cases? Because if so, I mine as well stick with Tera.

I've heard TERA is a grind fest where all the quests are basically "kill X and grab reward". I understand most MMOs have these quests but they don't feel as heavy on Guild Wars 2. Also, you have other things to do instead of fetch quests (vistas, story, etc). It's also basically 2 games in one (PvE and PvP). I would highly recommend GW2.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ionusX

[QUOTE="GNation00"][QUOTE="nini200"] For one, they have sales on the game (I was not willing to pay full price on the game), Two, it seems to have a fairly large user install base at least on the Dragonborn Server as ionusX and BrunoBRS tell me and 3, I feel that, even though I don't like the Targeting system that the game uses (I like Tera's battle engine much better as you actually have to aim to hit your target - similar to Monster Hunter) but I can actually manage with the battling engine. Being a Lancer on Monster Hunter, GW2 having no lance weapon was a turnoff which is another reason I chose to go Tera as of now.

I just feel like GW2 is a bit expensive at the asking price of $50/$60 but I will buy it for $30/$40 max.FelipeInside

I've heard TERA is a grind fest where all the quests are basically "kill X and grab reward". I understand most MMOs have these quests but they don't feel as heavy on Guild Wars 2. Also, you have other things to do instead of fetch quests (vistas, story, etc). It's also basically 2 games in one (PvE and PvP). I would highly recommend GW2.

indeed, id also like to add that from a personal perspective tera seems to be alot like ff14 ARR and if thats the case im going to skip. the last thing i find enjoyable in an rpg is giant guys with swords bigger than they are and girls who's main selling point is their cleavage physics and their axe three times alrger than they are.

it seems very AOIN esque visually too and that is a hgue turn-off

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="GNation00"][QUOTE="nini200"] I will as well as ionusx and BrunoBRS as they helped me alot with making my decision to buy it.nini200

For one, they have sales on the game (I was not willing to pay full price on the game), Two, it seems to have a fairly large user install base at least on the Dragonbrand and Fort Aspenwood Servers as ionusX and BrunoBRS tell me and 3, I feel that, even though I don't like the Targeting system that the game uses (I like Tera's battle engine much better as you actually have to aim to hit your target - similar to Monster Hunter) but I can actually manage with the battling engine. Being a Lancer on Monster Hunter, GW2 having no lance weapon was a turnoff which is another reason I chose to go Tera as of now.

They had it on sale almost two months back for $40. That's when I picked it up and am having a blast.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ionusX

[QUOTE="nini200"]

[QUOTE="GNation00"] What made you officially decide to get it?AmazonTreeBoa

They had it on sale almost two months back for $40. That's when I picked it up and am having a blast.

yep twice now its been just 40 bucks, or 60 for the digital deluxe edition (you get sum free in-game perks that help at low levels)

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#19 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
GMG and Amazon tend to have it on sale more regularly. The Official GW2 site tends to only have a sale during some event.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

GMG and Amazon tend to have it on sale more regularly. The Official GW2 site tends to only have a sale during some event.illmatic87

yeah, i got it for ~45 off GMG last year, amazon has had it for about the same (i think it was during christmas/january sale)

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
Prob my fav mmo atm, def worth picking up
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GNation00"] Would you say that Tera might be better in some cases? Because if so, I mine as well stick with Tera.ionusX

indeed, id also like to add that from a personal perspective tera seems to be alot like ff14 ARR and if thats the case im going to skip. the last thing i find enjoyable in an rpg is giant guys with swords bigger than they are and girls who's main selling point is their cleavage physics and their axe three times alrger than they are.

The unnecessary cleavage I agree with you on but I like huge weapons thus one reason I love the Lances on Monster Hunter and on Tera. It's personal preference there.

Tera's battle system looks better than GW2's does in my opinion as not having a lock on is more fun to me.

Tera does seem to be a grindfest but I like level grinding at times.

I like how GW2 rewards you for lots of things.

Tera looks better graphically and gameplay wise

GW2 seems to have more content as far as rewards.

Tera seems to have a better character customization system as well as better races.

GW2 has better patch and constant expansion support. They both seem good for what they are and both have cons. This is why I'm getting both. I have Tera already but will get GW2 as well. I have to upgrade my PC though to play them at full specs though
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]GMG and Amazon tend to have it on sale more regularly. The Official GW2 site tends to only have a sale during some event.lostrib

yeah, i got it for ~45 off GMG last year, amazon has had it for about the same (i think it was during christmas/january sale)

Must have been something going on then when I got it because I got it straight from the site. Bought two copies. Mine and my girl's. Just got to build her PC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I've heard TERA is a grind fest where all the quests are basically "kill X and grab reward". I understand most MMOs have these quests but they don't feel as heavy on Guild Wars 2. Also, you have other things to do instead of fetch quests (vistas, story, etc). It's also basically 2 games in one (PvE and PvP). I would highly recommend GW2.nini200

The unnecessary cleavage I agree with you on but I like huge weapons thus one reason I love the Lances on Monster Hunter and on Tera. It's personal preference there.

Tera's battle system looks better than GW2's does in my opinion as not having a lock on is more fun to me.

Tera seems to have a better character customization system as well as better races.

GW2 has better patch and constant expansion support. They both seem good for what they are and both have cons. This is why I'm getting both. I have Tera already but will get GW2 as well. I have to upgrade my PC though to play them at full specs though

I kinda agree on all those points. Personally I think GW2 looks better. The artstyle is just amazing.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I've heard TERA is a grind fest where all the quests are basically "kill X and grab reward". I understand most MMOs have these quests but they don't feel as heavy on Guild Wars 2. Also, you have other things to do instead of fetch quests (vistas, story, etc). It's also basically 2 games in one (PvE and PvP). I would highly recommend GW2.nini200

maybe you should designate one your "secondary" mmo. you know the one to play when the other is down on patch time

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
I hated it, one day an mmo will figure out how to combine the playstyle customization of dark souls and the open world of Skyrim and it will be amazing. Guild Wars 2 is just so bland, rpg's are around character development and GW2 hardly has any. Wouldn't it be great in a game if the different races in the game had different styles and you could make your own armor that matches the style of a race but actually has differentiation. Grinding it our for hours to get an armor set that everyone has needs to end.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad

The game is mildly amusing but got stale pretty quick for me.. The game has nice visuals but pretty poor presentation due to a lackluster story and not much of a real narrative or drive.. Add in the fact that progression is extremely limited in both leveling and gear, that the gameplay really doesn't change after you get a handful of levels unfortunately.. Your character literally looks exactly the same for dozens of levels.. Which just illustrates that mmorpg combat in general is sh!t if it doesn't have the kind of long term goals, progression and overall choices pitched in.. sSubZerOo

Yeah the levelling and progression was horribly botched in GW2. Quite possibly the worst I have ever seen of any mmorpg.

Players should expect to look the same from level 1-30 and even after that expect to change appearance occationally. The only times the player actually gets new toys to play around with are at level 5, 7, 10, 20 and 30.

A lot of the skills are useless, and since you can more or less learn any skill whenever you want to, you will have cherry picked all the skills you want by the time you reach level 30 (unless you want a 2nd tier elite skill). So with the exception of higher stats, my character essentially played the exact same from level 30-80. They really should have gone with a lower level cap such as level or even 20 like the original GW.

At level cap players will quickly get a full set of exotics and after that the only progression left is some ascended items and farming for weapons like this hammer. Both which require maplestory levels of grind (in a game which has mechanics to stop grinding).

Edit: Forgot to mention another flaw with the progression. What you fight later on down the line isnt that much more visually threatening than what you fight at level 1. They really dont look that much more dangerous. Also, unless you change areas such as from the human region to say the charr region. Players should expect to be fighting centaurs and bandits for 40 levels.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]The game is mildly amusing but got stale pretty quick for me.. The game has nice visuals but pretty poor presentation due to a lackluster story and not much of a real narrative or drive.. Add in the fact that progression is extremely limited in both leveling and gear, that the gameplay really doesn't change after you get a handful of levels unfortunately.. Your character literally looks exactly the same for dozens of levels.. Which just illustrates that mmorpg combat in general is sh!t if it doesn't have the kind of long term goals, progression and overall choices pitched in.. Maroxad

Yeah the levelling and progression was horribly botched in GW2. Quite possibly the worst I have ever seen of any mmorpg.

Players should expect to look the same from level 1-30 and even after that expect to change appearance occationally. The only times the player actually gets new toys to play around with are at level 5, 7, 10, 20 and 30.

A lot of the skills are useless, and since you can more or less learn any skill whenever you want to, you will have cherry picked all the skills you want by the time you reach level 30 (unless you want a 2nd tier elite skill). So with the exception of higher stats, my character essentially played the exact same from level 30-80. They really should have gone with a lower level cap such as level or even 20 like the original GW.

At level cap players will quickly get a full set of exotics and after that the only progression left is some ascended items and farming for weapons like this hammer. Both which require maplestory levels of grind (with the amulet costing.

I agree the armour and weapon themes of GW2 leaves a bit to be desired. I for one like to find these things from quests and exploration, but in GW2 there ain't much. But I don't think GW2 was designed for that. It excels in immersion, graphics, sound, varied quests and parts of the story. Not every MMO has to be gear focused to be good, look at The Secret World for example.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]The game is mildly amusing but got stale pretty quick for me.. The game has nice visuals but pretty poor presentation due to a lackluster story and not much of a real narrative or drive.. Add in the fact that progression is extremely limited in both leveling and gear, that the gameplay really doesn't change after you get a handful of levels unfortunately.. Your character literally looks exactly the same for dozens of levels.. Which just illustrates that mmorpg combat in general is sh!t if it doesn't have the kind of long term goals, progression and overall choices pitched in.. FelipeInside

At level cap players will quickly get a full set of exotics and after that the only progression left is some ascended items and farming for weapons like this hammer. Both which require maplestory levels of grind (with the amulet costing.

I agree the armour and weapon themes of GW2 leaves a bit to be desired. I for one like to find these things from quests and exploration, but in GW2 there ain't much. But I don't think GW2 was designed for that. It excels in immersion, graphics, sound, varied quests and parts of the story. Not every MMO has to be gear focused to be good, look at The Secret World for example.

I do think the armors were moderately well designed. But the weapon design is abbysmal imo. I disliked it so much I got a level 79 hammer so I could use a transmutation stone on it to not have the pearl hammer skin on my weapon. And I switched it to the default one the one you find at level 1.

I will say I agree with that not every mmo has to be gear focused to be good (banality is not a good thing), and while I do give arenanet credit for trying to do something different, the stuff they replaced traditional mmo means with turned out not to work out so well in the end. Such as this huge emphasis on temporary content which I suspect is a key culprit in why the game develops at such a absurdly slow rate.

Guild Wars 2 has a lot of good concepts, but I do feel like they completely botched the execution. The game is salvageable (SOE managed to Salvage EQ2 and make it something great), but it has a long way to go and I dont think that Arenanet is willing to give the game the love it deserves, and needs.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

maybe you should designate one your "secondary" mmo. you know the one to play when the other is down on patch time

That's what I'm considering actually. Get both and just experience them for what they are.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I got bored at level 14, same stuff over and over.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I made it to 21 or 22 and got tired of it.  I'll probably keep playing so I don't feel like I wasted $60, but I've had a lot more fun with Tera than I did with GW2.  It just feels more like an MMO and less like a singleplayer game to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]The game is mildly amusing but got stale pretty quick for me.. The game has nice visuals but pretty poor presentation due to a lackluster story and not much of a real narrative or drive.. Add in the fact that progression is extremely limited in both leveling and gear, that the gameplay really doesn't change after you get a handful of levels unfortunately.. Your character literally looks exactly the same for dozens of levels.. Which just illustrates that mmorpg combat in general is sh!t if it doesn't have the kind of long term goals, progression and overall choices pitched in.. FelipeInside

At that point especially with the pvp I would rather just play something like a DOTA esque game like LoL because I feel far more unique (in the champion I choose for a game) and more satisifying to what I experienced in Guild Wars 2.. The action, mechanics etc are just not interesting enough for me to care about with the sheer lack of any sort of progression.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
No, wait for a game that has something for you to do for over 100h, PSO2.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ionusX

No, wait for a game that has something for you to do for over 100h, PSO2.silversix_
uhhhhh no the only thing phantasy star will do is me a shin kicking simulator.. like it has been since it added online play to its franchises list of "things it can do"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

No, wait for a game that has something for you to do for over 100h, PSO2.silversix_

I have over 100h in GW2

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GNation00
Wow! Some people tell me really good reasons why to get it but those few that say bad things about the game keep changing my mind completely :/
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside
Wow! Some people tell me really good reasons why to get it but those few that say bad things about the game keep changing my mind completely :/GNation00
Those that say bad things about it don't know what a fun game is when it hits them. GW2 does a lot of things right and you'll get more than your money's worth since it has no sub.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ionusX

[QUOTE="GNation00"]Wow! Some people tell me really good reasons why to get it but those few that say bad things about the game keep changing my mind completely :/FelipeInside
Those that say bad things about it don't know what a fun game is when it hits them. GW2 does a lot of things right and you'll get more than your money's worth since it has no sub.

yep the game is only bad if your into this idea of a higher pwoer PvE meta-game. you will find alot of content but no meta. you ened to be able to transition to PvP and WvW to find closure.

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GNation00

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GNation00"]Wow! Some people tell me really good reasons why to get it but those few that say bad things about the game keep changing my mind completely :/ionusX

yep the game is only bad if your into this idea of a higher pwoer PvE meta-game. you will find alot of content but no meta. you ened to be able to transition to PvP and WvW to find closure.

So on that note..Does it even have a good PVE? Also...How long do you think this game will last before people start moving away?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Those that say bad things about it don't know what a fun game is when it hits them. GW2 does a lot of things right and you'll get more than your money's worth since it has no sub.GNation00

So on that note..Does it even have a good PVE?

whats there isnt the worst ever developed and they put alot of effort into making it nice and crisp and relatively bug and exploit free. their always tweaking this and that and it has the feel of quality. however once you hit 80, have explored everything, maxed your gear and crafting, and have completed the dungeons and stories at least once. it loses its luster immedeately and becomes a grind for the skins of armor and weapons you want. the story is fairly decent btw, nothing to write home about but it is above average with some cool set pieces and boss fights.

thats why i encourage all players to at least give WvW a shot even if they dont like PvP normally. as everyone can do something to contribute be you new or experienced and will at least give the illusion of comfort to an RPG player as it rewards explorations and there are npc's around that can be killed to benefit yourself and your team mates + all the phat lewtz u can carry

if you want the best explanation and review that treats it fairly. go watch angry joe's

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Maroxad

Wow! Some people tell me really good reasons why to get it but those few that say bad things about the game keep changing my mind completely :/GNation00

The best thing to do is to read both and try to make up your opinion based on both. Do listen to only one side. Find out what they liked and didnt like about it.

As for me, I didnt like Guild Wars 2 because the skill system was uninteresting, a lot of skills were lame, the encounter design and enemy design did not take advantage of game mechanics, HP bloating abound, little in the way of resource management with no mana or anything like that, a terrible sPvP mode that has only a few hundred still playing at any one time despite massive improvements in a recent patch, dynamic events getting old real fast and resetting so fast that any illusion you had of being able to have an impact on the world is gone (not to mention, they are so easy you wont fail anyway), some of the worst writing I have seen, some of the worst fantasy races I have seen with some being downright cringeworthy, non-existant pacing and progression and the last straw for me, the extremely slow rate of improvement thanks to the devs appearant obsession with temporary content.

Hell, it was only last month they finally added something they promised quite some time before launch.

Edit: But dont let my opinion sway you, afterall, it is just the opinion of one man. If you are still unsure, there may be a free weekend out sooner or later so you can try the game for free.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

The PVP is the best out of it all, The WvW is good but needs a lot of work (which they are currently doing), graphics wise it's top notch, probably the current best looking MMO on the market (everything looks like a painting).  Gameplay wise it can feel rather meh at times, its better than WoW IMO since its more dynamic but it doesnt really require skill in PVE, just spamming your skills.  They constantly update the game with patches, and they have bigger monthly releases which you can find here.  Also, the community is great, I haven't had really any issues with it, and it's always lively and helpful (experience may vary however).

I reached end game,  (Full exotics, acended gear, but still working on my legendary weapon)  When I play the game I play it in incraments, like say for a month or two then put it down for a few weeks to a month.  That's the beauty of the game, you can leave it not feeling bad because it has no subscription fees (But its as good as some subscription based games).  

It's well worth the retail price, even more actually as you'll put hundreds of hours into the game (may vary), but if you're into MMOs and you can find your footholding you'll enjoy it.  

Pros:

1. Graphics are great
  2. Lots of consistant content
  3. PvP is a good amount of fun
  4. Combat is much more dynamic than most MMOs.
  5. Great Community.
  6. Achievements/Daily can be fun.
  7. World bosses/events can be fun to do

Cons:

1. No legit end game content, you can grind for some gear and such but at the end of the day it can get pretty dull at times (like every MMO has repition)
  2. PVE doesn't require a lot of skill right now.
  3. Lack of raiding, there is Explorable dungeons and dungeons that have levels that get progressively more difficult, but it's not very hard if you have a competant group that knows what theyre doing.
  4. WvW can be unbearable at times, if you're playing Solo and not grouped up with a guild or a battle group then you'll get your ass wiped by AoE spamming and such.
  5. Legendary can be an unbearable grind, see the mats to get it here.
  6. After awhile, there is a lack of world bosses

There is probably more but that's all that could come to mind at the moment.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Those that say bad things about it don't know what a fun game is when it hits them. GW2 does a lot of things right and you'll get more than your money's worth since it has no sub.GNation00

So on that note..Does it even have a good PVE? Also...How long do you think this game will last before people start moving away?

I personally think it's got one of the best PvE Scenarios of most MMOs.

The graphics are gorgeous, the MMO is one of the most immersive ones out there and the story isn't best seller but still entertaining. When you even get sick of ur character, u can choose from 5 different races which have completely different starting zones and stories. Then you have a completely different game in the portion of PvP and WvW.

For the price of one game and for no subscription, it offers a LOT.

As for people moving away, don't believe the hate train.  I play regularly and there is heaps of people playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="GNation00"]Wow! Some people tell me really good reasons why to get it but those few that say bad things about the game keep changing my mind completely :/FelipeInside

I wasn't going to post in this thread seeing as it seemed even enough, but since FelipelInside has to say yet another completely stupid comment I now feel obligated to balance it out again. This guy is a hypocrit ... Guild Wars 2 to the MMO community (you know, a large community that finds MMOs FUN) has turned away from this game .... because the developers' vision fell short of all expectations outside of graphics/instant gratification. Also, I want to add that basing your "Gaming Decisions" on "OMG NO MONTHLY SUB" is so cheap and something I only imagine a teenager with no money would do... seriously, because this games free2play nature DOES effect its quality, its patches are slow and mediocre.... some fluff content added every now and then, balancing patches are *NEARLY* non existant and still no signs of decent PvE end-game content.... the "Living Story" was so small in scale that most are now mocking the "UPDATES THAT ARE EQUIVILANT TO EXPANSIONS" that the developers themselves claimed, yet another broken promise.... thye are more like the equivilant of a X.1 or x.2 patch in World of Warcraft ... only that game knows how to make GOOD new content. The Pros: Great Graphics Great Music/Sound A nice game to play alone when you feel like running through a world doing typical tasks. some interesting quests/concepts. Realm vs Realm is ok..... The Bad: Character Progression is an abysmal .... as others said, you feel like you mayaswell be max level at 30, the item system in the game offers nothing..... anything worht grinding for is all based on looks and takes as long as korean MMO grinds ... in a game that LIMITS how much you can grind AND is suppose to be "a non-grind game". so instead of challenging end-game content to get awards you aare rewarded for grinding ... slowly.... over many days. Competitive PvP is nearly dead on the game..... lobbys are nearly empty because of the games poor combat system and uninteresting battlegrounds. No Holy Trinity - no class roles, you all do the same 1-5 (or less in most cases) spam on all boss/PvE fights press your mediocre heal and buff moves now and then and call it a day, class balance in PvE is pretty bad too..... the "NO TRINITY CONCEPT" left a very flat, strategyless/roleless feeling that made the game not feel like an RPG to some extent.... Story is AWFUL - im sorry, these people saying the story is worth it are lying ... you get text/voice comic style cutscenes, while the voices are good the script 99% of the time is awful and there is no feeling of immersion because of the said comic-book style conversations (E.G main cahracter will charge into enemies, only you don't see this, you mostly just see that characte rTALK about it.) ...... Story 2 - Final Boss ....... does nothing, I'm sorry if thats a spoiler, but they managed to take such an epic enemy and... make an even worse finale than Mass Effect 3... Story 3 - You spend the first 20-30 levels doing the story branches based on what you chose at character creation, they are mindless... to top it off they effect nothing after they are done, the story goes down the same set path everyone gets and guess what? 50 levels of "THE SCOUR.... I MEAN RISEN ARE INVADING" thats right the entire long winded comic-book cutscene story consists of ZOMBIES, ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ... But yea .... ignore the fools, even SW:TOR had alot more story substance, and Final Fantasy FFXIV ....... EXPLORATION - DONT BELIEVE THE BS HYPE - Their questing system is full of "Kill this, use that" quests, only difference is you automatically pick them up. to make it more varied however they follow the tedious ASSASSINS CREED SANDBOX FILLER method by throwing "Eagle View" points on the map, and skill points ect which are just like normal quests ..... what seems different at first turns into the same old grind after a few zones. PvE I could write an essay on, nothing for PvE fans that like a challenge... nothing at all, their idea of challenge was to make a dungeon which has 8-10 different zones that you have to complete, when you complete 4 you go up a "difficulty level" you grind this for months to level 100 for next to nothing ... cheapest, lame old school end-game mechanic ... I could write more. the game is a shallow bit of fun but barely fits any MMO mold ... (and no... not really a good thing). So yea, he can say we "don't know what fun is" but those of us that like challenging, creative content in PvE and PROPER PvP ...... have no FUN here whatsoever because most of the games features were designed for initial customer grabbing, not for the long haul.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside
^^ Personal opinion Birdy. I find the game fun and for once an MMO with gorgeous graphics which make you want to explore, together with vistas and dynamic missions and a fun story. For a $60 game, you get heaps of gametime. Not every MMO has to be about gear and end-game you know. You don't like GW2, that's fine.... but lots of people do.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib

^^ Personal opinion Birdy. I find the game fun and for once an MMO with gorgeous graphics which make you want to explore, together with vistas and dynamic missions and a fun story. For a $60 game, you get heaps of gametime. Not every MMO has to be about gear and end-game you know. You don't like GW2, that's fine.... but lots of people do.FelipeInside

a whole lot of personal opinion

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ Personal opinion Birdy. I find the game fun and for once an MMO with gorgeous graphics which make you want to explore, together with vistas and dynamic missions and a fun story. For a $60 game, you get heaps of gametime. Not every MMO has to be about gear and end-game you know. You don't like GW2, that's fine.... but lots of people do.lostrib

I respect personal opinion, after all my statement is also personal opinion. I don't agree with people saying the game isn't worth it though. For a non-sub game (and no Birdy, I'm not reviewing the game solely based on that), it's polished and u get countless hours of gameplay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
That might be the case, but he asked for a comparison to TERA E.G another MMO. You honestly found most of my comments to be opinion? really? some are without a doubt, but alot of them are logical observations.... afterall I did hype the game up myself to some degree. I don't like spending that 60-100 hours, 100% a map ect to end up with a shallow grind game with no substance, so while I guess you can peg typical MMO leveling as good source of "fun" then yes I guess thats preference .... but there are pleanty of MMOs that do this, only then actually deliver on the rest of the experiance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ Personal opinion Birdy. I find the game fun and for once an MMO with gorgeous graphics which make you want to explore, together with vistas and dynamic missions and a fun story. For a $60 game, you get heaps of gametime. Not every MMO has to be about gear and end-game you know. You don't like GW2, that's fine.... but lots of people do.lostrib

A largely shared opinion/observation.