Should I Get Alan Wake's American Nightmare?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Maverick6575 (191 posts) -

American Nightmare is $7 this week, and it looks pretty cool. Kind of like if Dead Space took place in Arizona. Never played the first one though. Should I get it?

System Specs:

• Lenovo B570 Laptop
  • Windows 7 x64 Bit
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.10 GHz
  • IGM Graphics Card with 1.7 gbs of dedicated RAM
  • 4 gbs of RAM
#2 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Probley will not run, honestly if you want to play alan wake play the game not American Nightmare

#3 Posted by Maverick6575 (191 posts) -

If my rig can run games like Skyrim and MW2, will it run this?

#4 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -
Was American Nightmare better than Alan Wake?
#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17269 posts) -

The game doesn't require a lot from your PC but what graphics card is that ?

And at what settings and resolution do you run games like Skyrim and MW2 ?

As for the game itself it's good, but you have to play the first one to get the story somewhat.

#6 Posted by spierdalaj666 (865 posts) -

Don't bother with american nightmare unless you enjoy playing through the same levels three times. It's really not woth it. Now the original alan wake is pretty good.

#7 Posted by Flubbbs (3395 posts) -

i wouldnt bother.. the game is really repetitive

#8 Posted by Maverick6575 (191 posts) -

The game doesn't require a lot from your PC but what graphics card is that ?

And at what settings and resolution do you run games like Skyrim and MW2 ?

As for the game itself it's good, but you have to play the first one to get the story somewhat.

R4gn4r0k

IGM is the Integrated Graphics Management card. It's the default card for most processors, and soldered into the motherboard on laptops (which is why I haven't already upgraded it).

MW2 I can run on Low/Medium Setting, Skyrim I run on Low (still looks pretty good though)

#9 Posted by AssRhino (515 posts) -

I love Alan Wake(bought it twice at full price) and i gotta admit i didn't think American Nightmare was anywhere near as good. The original Alan Wake was great because of it story and atmosphere. American Nightmare is more or less a shooting gallery with little story.

#10 Posted by Maverick6575 (191 posts) -

Both look really good, I love the Arizona desert setting of American Nightmare. Been playing Skyrim and Slender, so I'm kind of ired of the whole forest setting. Whiich one is scarier?

#11 Posted by Maverick6575 (191 posts) -

Ad you said it kept returning to he same place? The motel in the middle of the map (been watching walkthroughs to getan idea of the game)? I'm not too worried about that. Like I said, I play Skyrim, and I play Fallout, so I don't hate the idea of a small open world type of game

#12 Posted by biggest_loser (24104 posts) -
Avoid Alan Wake altogether, whether its the vanilla game or the American Nightmare. The game is a shambles, undoing every positive achieved with Max Payne.
#13 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Avoid Alan Wake altogether, whether its the vanilla game or the American Nightmare. The game is a shambles, undoing every positive achieved with Max Payne. biggest_loser

I don't know if you realize this, but Alan Wake is NOT the sequel to Max Payne. Max Payne 3 is, and Alan Wake is a new horror IP, so I don't really see the Max Payne comparisons here.

#14 Posted by Maverick6575 (191 posts) -

I don't know much about Max Payne, but I know I'm not paying 60 bucks for it. I'm only looking into Alan Wake because it's on sale for Halloween.

BTW, the question's kinda morphed into American Nightmare, or Original?

#15 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16956 posts) -

The orignal comes with the base game + the story DLC. It is a much better value to buy the orignal Alan Wake. And I'm not sure if you should buy Alan Wake, I think it is a lot more demanding then games like Skyrim and MW2.

#16 Posted by biggest_loser (24104 posts) -

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Avoid Alan Wake altogether, whether its the vanilla game or the American Nightmare. The game is a shambles, undoing every positive achieved with Max Payne. SPYDER0416

I don't know if you realize this, but Alan Wake is NOT the sequel to Max Payne. Max Payne 3 is, and Alan Wake is a new horror IP, so I don't really see the Max Payne comparisons here.

Gee thanks for pointing that out!! Now I know that Alan Wake is not actually a sequel to Max Payne! No wonder its set between forests and not New York! It all makes sense now! I thought the game had more wildlife in it!! I could have sworn that Max Payne was a police officer and not an author! But I could have been wrong...till now!! Thanks Spyder! You're going super!!

Could it also be that I was also pointing out that what Remedy achieved with Max Payne they made a hash of here? Lousy combat system, weak writing, hand-holding game play, generic setups.

#17 Posted by biggest_loser (24104 posts) -

I don't know much about Max Payne, but I know I'm not paying 60 bucks for it. I'm only looking into Alan Wake because it's on sale for Halloween.

BTW, the question's kinda morphed into American Nightmare, or Original?

Maverick6575

You could get both Max Payne games for $20 altogether. Alan Wake will be a distant memory once you play those two games.

#18 Posted by THGarrett (2574 posts) -

I would definitely encourage playing the original game just because not only is a great game but without playing through it, American Nightmare's story is not going to make much sense.

#19 Posted by flipin_jackass (9729 posts) -
I say wait and just buy them both when it's like $10. That was the Steam Summer Sale price, surely one of these DD services will do it at that price around Halloween... maybe...(?)
#20 Posted by sSubZerOo (43416 posts) -
Alan Wake will not run on that video card.. If it does it will be at the lowest settings and lowest resolution.. Even then I will be surprised if you get above 25fps..