Should i crossfire or upgrade?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Saw some 7950's on ebay going for an ok price. I'm not really looking to upgrade just yet but would you recommend me going crossfire now for future use. Or wait to upgrade a single card later on?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Wait it out,

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Depends on your needs. I run 2 570s in SLI. I can game across 5040x1050 with them - mix of medium/high settings on games I play at that resolution and the cards only have 1.3GB VRAM and do the job for me. Else, any game I own I can pretty much max out on 1680x1050.

I enjoy SLI, it does work well (I can't speak for Crossfire, but it should offer similar performance/results). I come across very few games that give SLI issues and the odd one or two game that does, I just take a quick moment to disable SLI and game on 1 card. Granted, I lack the VRAM available you find on most high end cards today, but that doesn't seem to be a hinderance for me. I do have a higher power draw and generate more heat in my case, but I'm okay with that. Clearly, I could upgrade to a 780 to get similar performance of the 570 SLI and use less power....I just don't have $450+ for one and I probably won't anytime in the near future.

It all comes down to a few things you should consider before going multiple GPUs:

1. What can you afford to buy? One high end current GPU or a couple of high end older gen GPUs?
  2. Can your PSU support the extra card?
  3. Does your motherboard support Crossfire?
  4. Do you care if your system generates more heat or uses more power?
  5. Would you be annoyed if a game you picked up or currently own doesn't support or play well with Crossfire?

If you can live with the answers to the questions, then maybe a multiple GPU setup is for you. If not, I'd suggest getting a single high end GPU for your needs.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I've had crossfire 7950's for quite sometime now and I haven't had any "major" issues yet. There have been a few (2 or 3 at most) games that I had to wait on drivers to get better performance over the past 2 years or so, but I've really, REALLY been quite pleased with them. I'm "still" sporting an i5 2500k with the pair but there isn't anything I still can't max out at a decent clip. Granted, I'm playing most games at 1080p (on a 52" Samsung lcd) but I can't see anything in the near future that won't play well on my current rig. If you can get it at a decent price, it may be worth it to you.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

the only problem I have or notice with my crossfire is in skyrim, you mind as well turn any enb's off.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Wait it out,

thats what I'm doing to, I'm getting itchy to buy a new GPU now, hope its worth the wait to see what Nvidia and AMD release.

That 750W XFX PSU I got to replace my dodgy Powercool PSU is a beast, the thing weighed a ton!!!!

My Rig is ready and waiting a new GPU :)