Should I buy another 680 or wait for next generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Brean24 (1659 posts) -
Alright so I turn 17 in 27 days and where I live that means I can actually get a decent low-paying job. In other words I will actually have my own money. I got a GTX680 for my birthday, and I was planning on getting a 2nd one down the line for SLI. However since the 700 series which I know is a refresh is coming out soon and Maxwell which is a entirely new architecture is coming out some time in 2014 I believe I'm rethinking that a little bit. On one hand two 680s will certainly beat whatever single card solution I could buy from the 700 series in terms of pricing and raw performance. On the other hand I have had issues with SLI in the past, and it appears the flickering that has been a problem with SLI for as long as I can remember is still not fixed, as well as the various small issues with SLI that varies from game to game makes me want to stick to one card. I don't need a upgrade, my current setup while not as good as the GTX480 SLI setup I had(same hardware different graphics cards) is much more efficient and much cooler. I can pretty much max out every game out there including Crysis 3, though my frame rate is not 60FPS unless I lower some settings. However I have had this computer since Spring 2011, and while it has served me well, there has been 2 generaitons of CPUs that have been released since I built my computer(yes I built it myself). Is it worth upgrading to the 700 series, or should I wait for the 800 series? Is there a huge difference between my I52500k@4.3GHz and the new Ivy Bridge or other new CPUs? I guess the most important question is am I over-thinking this?
#2 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

I don't think that a Kepler refresh will be *significantly* faster than the 6xx series.  You would hardly get any gains at all by moving to Ivy Bridge.

I say get the second 680 and enjoy them right away.  :)

#3 Posted by tionmedon (468 posts) -

I don't think that a Kepler refresh will be *significantly* faster than the 6xx series.  You would hardly get any gains at all by moving to Ivy Bridge.

FaustArp
ditto............
#4 Posted by tionmedon (468 posts) -

FaustArp
ditto............

FaustArp
#5 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4027 posts) -

FaustArp

This guy knows what's up. Anyway why do you think the 700's are coming out soon?

#6 Posted by theshadowhunter (2956 posts) -

whats your rush? I have a 680 and I overclocked it a bit and I see no reason to get another right now, I can afford it very easily too, but I dont see the reasoning unless i get a 1440p monitor.

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

As above, I see no reason for you to upgrade.

#8 Posted by Richard_The_Gr8 (620 posts) -

you can probably spend that money more wisely elsewhere, maybe an SSD or a new keyboard and mouse? a new monitor... 

#9 Posted by DJP3000 (293 posts) -

I suggest you stick with 1 GTX 680 and wait for the next series of cards.  I don't suggest SLI because SLI has been too problematic for me when I had SLI and the drawbacks of SLI are not worth the added performance in my opinion.  As for upgrading to Ivy Bridge from your 2500k, you will not notice the difference even in CPU bound games.  A 2500k is only around 5-10% slower than a 3570k, depending on what program you are running, not something that you would notice by eye.

#10 Posted by MuD3 (1282 posts) -
everyone keeps talking about "the drawbacks of sli" ... since i built my first sli rig last year i have seen no issues. what the hell are they?
#11 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -
everyone keeps talking about "the drawbacks of sli" ... since i built my first sli rig last year i have seen no issues. what the hell are they? MuD3
A thing of the past... Some games have SLI issues, but they are usually fixed quickly.
#12 Posted by mrmarrero (306 posts) -

Is there a huge difference between my I52500k@4.3GHz and the new Ivy Bridge or other new CPUs? I guess the most important question is am I over-thinking this?

The short answer to your first question is no. Are you overthinking it? Perhaps. A second 680 will most likely net you very little real-world gain unless your pushing some serious pixels (you didn't mention the resolution your running...).

At 1200p my single 670 was fine. At 1440p it started to struggle in a few areas. And when I bumped it up to 1600p it was enough to justify a second 670.

#13 Posted by Brean24 (1659 posts) -

Is there a huge difference between my I52500k@4.3GHz and the new Ivy Bridge or other new CPUs? I guess the most important question is am I over-thinking this?mrmarrero

The short answer to your first question is no. Are you overthinking it? Perhaps. A second 680 will most likely net you very little real-world gain unless your pushing some serious pixels (you didn't mention the resolution your running...).

At 1200p my single 670 was fine. At 1440p it started to struggle in a few areas. And when I bumped it up to 1600p it was enough to justify a second 670.

Right now I'm at 1200p, however I am planning on upgrading to 1440p or 1600p, likely around the same time I upgrade everything else. I do have a 128GB SSD and two 500GB 7200RPM WD Black HDs in Raid 0. So I don't really have any need to upgrade anywhere else.
#14 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

There are several games that already benefit from a second 680 @ 1080p/1200p.

More if you are really bothered by jaggies and want tons of AA.

#15 Posted by MuD3 (1282 posts) -
do it.... that is all
#16 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

everyone keeps talking about "the drawbacks of sli" ... since i built my first sli rig last year i have seen no issues. what the hell are they? MuD3
Beats me, I'm on my 2nd SLI rig and I don't really get problems and it works for those demanding games I play as well.

#17 Posted by fred1266 (945 posts) -

so the 700 series is not coming out this year

#18 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Man that's a wall of text. What resolution are you playing at? If it's 1200p and under, I don't see the point of getting another GTX 680 unless you have a 120-144hz monitor and you want that performance 24/7. You're better off waiting until the 800 series are released and see if a nice price drop to the 680 would warrant you another one, or go to the 8xx series altogether. I'd wait and watch what AMD has to offer as well.
#19 Posted by FelipeInside (25662 posts) -
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ?? I just built a new PC with a 680 (very happy too), see specs below....and people are talking about getting another one or upgrading already? :(
#20 Posted by robertoenrique (1161 posts) -
[QUOTE="Brean24"]Alright so I turn 17 in 27 days and where I live that means I can actually get a decent low-paying job. In other words I will actually have my own money. I got a GTX680 for my birthday, and I was planning on getting a 2nd one down the line for SLI. However since the 700 series which I know is a refresh is coming out soon and Maxwell which is a entirely new architecture is coming out some time in 2014 I believe I'm rethinking that a little bit. On one hand two 680s will certainly beat whatever single card solution I could buy from the 700 series in terms of pricing and raw performance. On the other hand I have had issues with SLI in the past, and it appears the flickering that has been a problem with SLI for as long as I can remember is still not fixed, as well as the various small issues with SLI that varies from game to game makes me want to stick to one card. I don't need a upgrade, my current setup while not as good as the GTX480 SLI setup I had(same hardware different graphics cards) is much more efficient and much cooler. I can pretty much max out every game out there including Crysis 3, though my frame rate is not 60FPS unless I lower some settings. However I have had this computer since Spring 2011, and while it has served me well, there has been 2 generaitons of CPUs that have been released since I built my computer(yes I built it myself). Is it worth upgrading to the 700 series, or should I wait for the 800 series? Is there a huge difference between my I52500k@4.3GHz and the new Ivy Bridge or other new CPUs? I guess the most important question is am I over-thinking this?

Why not sell your current 680 and get a GTX Titan?
#21 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ?? I just built a new PC with a 680 (very happy too), see specs below....and people are talking about getting another one or upgrading already? :(FelipeInside
If you game higher than 1080p or multi monitors it's worth getting another one.

#22 Posted by FelipeInside (25662 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ?? I just built a new PC with a 680 (very happy too), see specs below....and people are talking about getting another one or upgrading already? :(mitu123

Oh righto. I just game on one monitor, 27'' at 1920x1080. And what's with this TITAN thing? don't they say it's slower than current cards?
#23 Posted by robertoenrique (1161 posts) -
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ?? I just built a new PC with a 680 (very happy too), see specs below....and people are talking about getting another one or upgrading already? :(FelipeInside

Oh righto. I just game on one monitor, 27'' at 1920x1080. And what's with this TITAN thing? don't they say it's slower than current cards?

Not sure what you mean? The Titan is the fastest single GPU currently in the market. I pointed it out because Tc said that he doesn't want to run into SLI issues, so he might just as well get a GTX Titan that performs similarly to two GTX 680s.
#24 Posted by darksusperia (6917 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="mitu123"] If you game higher than 1080p or multi monitors it's worth getting another one.robertoenrique

Not sure what you mean? The Titan is the fastest single GPU currently in the market. I pointed it out because Tc said that he doesn't want to run into SLI issues, so he might just as well get a GTX Titan that performs similarly to two GTX 680s.

with 6GB of dedicated GDDR5... oh my bad, wrong forum. ;) :P lol.
#25 Posted by FelipeInside (25662 posts) -
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="robertoenrique"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Oh righto. I just game on one monitor, 27'' at 1920x1080. And what's with this TITAN thing? don't they say it's slower than current cards?

Damn !!! No wonder it costs more than a normal computer (here in AUS retails for $1300)
#26 Posted by darksusperia (6917 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="robertoenrique"] Not sure what you mean? The Titan is the fastest single GPU currently in the market. I pointed it out because Tc said that he doesn't want to run into SLI issues, so he might just as well get a GTX Titan that performs similarly to two GTX 680s.

Damn !!! No wonder it costs more than a normal computer (here in AUS retails for $1300)

yes, 1250 is the average. Titan mini should be coming soon, half way between 680 and the titan, or so they say.
#27 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="darksusperia"] with 6GB of dedicated GDDR5... oh my bad, wrong forum. ;) :P lol.

yes, 1250 is the average. Titan mini should be coming soon, half way between 680 and the titan, or so they say.

Wonders what the price tag will befor this one. :P