Should i be worried?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kunal_anand50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 kunal_anand50
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

I built my pc in December,2013. My specs are 8 gb ram, Seasonic 520w psu, i5 4670 and r9 280x.

I cleaned it for the first time last week. I didn't remove the heatsink,though as i didn't have thermal paste. Cooler is stock.

So, i used MSI Afterburner to check my temp while playing Unity. Cpu temp in all the cores went to 75 c max whereas the gpu temp went to 81 c max. Should i be worried? If yes, what should i do?

Keep in mind, i live in India and its summers now. So, normal room temp is about 32-35 c.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#2 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

No, you should not be worried. Your CPU and GPU will throttle back as necessary based on temps. AMD GPUs run hot and 75c for your CPU is not extreme. It can take more heat.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kunal_anand50 said:

I built my pc in December,2013. My specs are 8 gb ram, Seasonic 520w psu, i5 4670 and r9 280x.

I cleaned it for the first time last week. I didn't remove the heatsink,though as i didn't have thermal paste. Cooler is stock.

So, i used MSI Afterburner to check my temp while playing Unity. Cpu temp in all the cores went to 75 c max whereas the gpu temp went to 81 c max. Should i be worried? If yes, what should i do?

Keep in mind, i live in India and its summers now. So, normal room temp is about 32-35 c.

LOL it's fine, I live in Israel summer is just starting over here and I already see 55C GPU without even playing anything, but CPU is fine got Noctua C14 there so it's 30C.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Your CPU temps are a little high. I have a feeling you'd instantly fail a stress test.

kunal_anand50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 kunal_anand50
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

I have ordered Arctic Silver 5. I would remove heatsink and clean it and apply the thermal paste. Lets see if that helps.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kunal_anand50 said:

I have ordered Arctic Silver 5. I would remove heatsink and clean it and apply the thermal paste. Lets see if that helps.

Which brand's R9 280X you're using?

EDIT: nevermind you've got a great GPU, same as mine, you've got excellent case so airflow is not an issue to you, I would say apply new thermal paste and make sure your case is dust free.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

T-junction for Intel was around 105C for desktop versions if I recall correctly, so you're not that close to having issues. GPU is kinda hot, but then again - it's AMD, they don't know how to keep themselves cool. Put some new shiny Arctic Silver 5 and you should have the temps drop a little bit. Generally, gaming computers are under a lot of burden so changing the paste every year is kinda necessary, especially with the absense of proper cooling and you're overclocking your hardware.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Chatch09 said:

@kunal_anand50: If your case can fit it, you should go ahead and grab a Hyper 212 Evo, its $20 and the best cooler for the price.

+1 - turned my 965BE into a cool running chip

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@Code135 said:

... Generally, gaming computers are under a lot of burden so changing the paste every year is kinda necessary, especially with the absense of proper cooling and you're overclocking your hardware.

I don't change thermal paste unless changing heatsink. Never had any issues and I don't see how it is necessary.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

You should be worried if it's getting hotter than before, but you didn't mention what your temps were like.

Your CPU is getting a bit hot IMO.

BTW don't get Artic Silver 5, is old now, much better pastes available like Gelid GC Extreme or IC Diamond 7