Screw intel integrated chips.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Neonakaa (79 posts) -

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 3521) has a real GPU (some sort of AMD chip) but it will only use its Intel integrated crap, any help? Thanks!

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30009 posts) -

Try to change it in the bios

#3 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15990 posts) -

I'm curious about laptops with both an Intel GPU and an AMD GPU. Is there a utility for that combo similar to Optimus (Nvidia GPUs) that auto-switch between Intel and AMD GPUs?

#4 Edited by Horgen (110079 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I'm curious about laptops with both an Intel GPU and an AMD GPU. Is there a utility for that combo similar to Optimus (Nvidia GPUs) that auto-switch between Intel and AMD GPUs?

I would think so. Otherwise it is kinda pointless.

edit: Damn, I forgot I got a laptop with an i5 450m processor and a 5650 or 5670 AMD GPU. Yeah they switch back and forth depending on usage and if plugged into the wall. Of course I can override this setting to some degree too.

TC what I do on my laptop is right click when on the desktop and then choose "configure switch-able graphics" or something like that.

#5 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15990 posts) -

@horgen123: Thanks. I thought the AMD version of Optimus had a fancy name like uh, Optimus. I guess not. It's Dynamic Switchable Graphics.

#6 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@MonsieurX: Yeah, it seems like there would be a bios option to disable the Intel gpu...

#7 Posted by Horgen (110079 posts) -

@horgen123: Thanks. I thought the AMD version of Optimus had a fancy name like uh, Optimus. I guess not. It's Dynamic Switchable Graphics.

Glad you fixed it. :)