This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

Yesterday I changed my cooler, and I think I squished the CPU a little bit. (thanks to horrible push pins!!!)
My PC wouldn't start, so now this morning I put in my old CPU and it works perfectly again.

WTF!? PUSH PIN RAGE!!!! I bought the CPU about a week ago!

#2 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13613 posts) -

Yesterday I changed my cooler, and I think I squished the CPU a little bit. (thanks to horrible push pins!!!)
My PC wouldn't start, so now this morning I put in my old CPU and it works perfectly again.

WTF!? PUSH PIN RAGE!!!!

buriedtwice

show us pics of the underbelly of your processor

#3 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

The CPU looks perfectly fine to me, but my heatsink now has marks from the edges of the CPU on it, because I was pushing it so hard.

I can't really find any other explanation to it. I've used that CPU for a week, and it's been working fine until now.

EDIT: Could the heatsink not being on properly cause the PC to not start? I'm canging CPUs again, putting it on harefully this time, because I'm not sure if I did it completely right before.

#4 Posted by zxl (138 posts) -
Some of the cooler's can be fitted in various ways to the CPU socket, but there's only one right way.
#5 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

It's hard to get the push pins in properly, but I've don it a few times, and it took under 1 minute for me to do it now. :D

Posting again soon, hopefully it's going to work now!!

EDIT: I just put in the new CPU again, and my PC just doesn't start with it. So I guess something's wrong with it?

#6 Posted by ferret-gamer (17328 posts) -

It's hard to get the push pins in properly, but I've don it a few times, and it took under 1 minute for me to do it now. :D

Posting again soon, hopefully it's going to work now!!

EDIT: I just put in the new CPU again, and my PC just doesn't start with it. So I guess something's wrong with it?

buriedtwice
you are supposed to align the little triangle on the processor to the socket on the motherboard as a guide. Im unsure if you are doing that since from the amount of time it is taking you it sounds like you are trying to eyeball it or something, it should only take 10 or 15 seconds to put the cpu in and it should just slide right in easily and then you lock it.
#7 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

It took me so long because I had to take the mobo out of the case and put everything back together each time I did it.
Should have used the stock cooler, wouldn't have neded to do that then because it's so small.

Still doesn't work. Has to be something wrong with it. Too bad I don't have another PC to test it with.

#8 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
Show us pictures of both sides of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink.
#9 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23615 posts) -
Is this an amd with pins on the cpu or intel with pins on the mobo? On my qx6700, I dropped it a few times, and sanded it a few days ago and it works fine lol.
#10 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

Intel, and now when I looked closer, it looks like there's a couple of really tiny "holes" on it. :?
But they're so small, would the CPU really not work at all because of this? No idea how they came there either, because I haven't dropped it or anything.

#11 Posted by mucgoo (317 posts) -
Tiny holes in something which is built using 45nm parts would mean you've destroyed something. Send it back as faulty and hope they don't notice?
#12 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

Pretty sure they're going to notice it, unless their sitting in a dark room while looking at it.

#13 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23615 posts) -

Pretty sure they're going to notice it, unless their sitting in a dark room while looking at it.

buriedtwice

I've sent modems back into Amazon with a chip missing on it... although you can't see it, it's blatantly obvious it was opened, I got away with it... also have sent stuff I have screwd up, they don't inspect too carefully, and since you said above it's very small, go ahead and send it in anyway, nothing to lose... for you I mean :P

#14 Posted by SoraX64 (29221 posts) -
Just do what I do, and tell them the CPU came like that.
#15 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

The scratches might have actually been there already, so I'm not sure if I would be lying or not if I did that. :D
There's one really tiny scratch, and another one that looks like a tiny hole, like someone just stuck the tip of a needle into the CPU.

Probably some worker at Intel who did this to me. What a jerk.

I haven't touched it with anything else than a couple of heatsinks (stock and a xigmatek), and they don't look like they have anything on them that could scratch it like that.

My old CPU is fine without any scrathes, and I've used both coolers on it too. So my intentions might actually be completely pure when I bring it back to the store. :)

EDIT: By the way, my old CPU is at 22°C right now (idle, with the stock cooler). 8)

#16 Posted by hofuldig (5084 posts) -

were missing some vital information here that should have been asked.

1 What is your new CPU Type/socket

2 What is your old CPU type/socket

3 What brand is your motherboard? name number/socket

4 Why havent you taken any pictures and posted them? people keep asking you to do so because they want to help you yet you resist. your best bet is to do this so we can see what the problem is.

The only reason for number 4 is because you did not post info for the first 3 questions i have just asked.

#17 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

I only had my phone to take pics with, and that's no good with small things like a CPU.
I also digged some in my closet and found a crappy panasonic video camera that can take photos. So lets see what those will look like.

I've lent my "proper" (a little bit above crappy) camera away.

Brb with some bad pictures.

Mobo is Abit IP35-E

EDIT: Here you go:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2405/imga0381.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1962/imga0384.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2981/imga0385.jpg

That tiny hole is what's worrying me!
You might see the other scratch on the bottom right side of the third pic if you look carefully enough, it's really shallow and small.

#18 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13613 posts) -

I only had my phone to take pics with, and that's no good with small things like a CPU.
I also digged some in my closet and found a crappy panasonic video camera that can take photos. So lets see what those will look like.

I've lent my "proper" (a little bit above crappy) camera away.

Brb with some bad pictures.

Mobo is Abit IP35-E

EDIT: Here you go:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2405/imga0381.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1962/imga0384.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2981/imga0385.jpg

That tiny hole is what's worrying me!
You might see the other scratch on the bottom right side of the third pic if you look carefully enough, it's really shallow and small.

buriedtwice

do you not having lights in your house?

#19 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13613 posts) -

also we wanted a look at the bottom, what you are showing us is the heatspreader

#20 Posted by buriedtwice (544 posts) -

I do have lights, but it's not a very good camera!! Forgot the other side, sorry. Pics soon. :roll:

EDIT: No idea why those pics were so dark, but here's some brighter ones:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4382/imga0392.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4897/imga0391.jpg

#21 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -

Meh, just send it back if its not working. Dont tell them that you used an aftermarket cooler though. I was bored and read my AMD warranty and apparently using an aftermarket cooler voids it. Not sure if its the same for Intel, but I suspect that it would be.

#22 Posted by hofuldig (5084 posts) -

Meh, just send it back if its not working. Dont tell them that you used an aftermarket cooler though. I was bored and read my AMD warranty and apparently using an aftermarket cooler voids it. Not sure if its the same for Intel, but I suspect that it would be.

Iantheone
yeah might as well send it back and get another one. according to google your motherboard should be able to handle the latest LGA 775 Cpu's Mind me asking what type of cpu you bought? Dual or quad core? Also one thing to note is it might not be working because you need to upgrade the bios to a newer version
#23 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6066 posts) -

omgggg your scrrrreeeeeeewwwwwwwwweeeeeeeed

#24 Posted by Urworstnhtmare (2630 posts) -

[QUOTE="buriedtwice"]

JigglyWiggly_

I've sent modems back into Amazon with a chip missing on it... although you can't see it, it's blatantly obvious it was opened, I got away with it... also have sent stuff I have screwd up, they don't inspect too carefully, and since you said above it's very small, go ahead and send it in anyway, nothing to lose... for you I mean :P

Cheeky.. :P

#25 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1
Wow best advice yet. Oh wait... Just send it back. The bottom looks fine to me, but it still doesn't work so just send it back. Also Jiggly why the hell did you sand your processor?
#26 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23615 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

IvanElk

Wow best advice yet. Oh wait... Just send it back. The bottom looks fine to me, but it still doesn't work so just send it back. Also Jiggly why the hell did you sand your processor?

With sandpaper, it's quite common. I only went up to 800 grit.

Oh you mean why? I wanted better temps, it worked, I cut like 5c by lapping my heatsink the TRUE 120x, and CPU.

#27 Posted by C_Rule (9743 posts) -
[QUOTE="Iantheone"]

hofuldig
yeah might as well send it back and get another one. according to google your motherboard should be able to handle the latest LGA 775 Cpu's Mind me asking what type of cpu you bought? Dual or quad core? Also one thing to note is it might not be working because you need to upgrade the bios to a newer version

Q9550, so it's a quad.