Scariest PC Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by camera3 (175 posts) -

Hey I want to make a purchase for me and my friends to play in THE DARK! Anyone know some really scary PC games to buy other than Prenumbra: Black Plague & Amnesia: The Final Descent?

#2 Posted by guildclaws (7907 posts) -

Condemned and F.E.A.R

#3 Posted by telep_man (203 posts) -

Aliens vs Predator. It's from the previous century, but it got me scared like no other game 8).

#4 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
Cryostasis definitely.
#5 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

I was going to say Condemned, F.E.A.R. and AVP as well lol. I would also say AVP 2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has some scares to it as well when you are alone at night with wild animals out there.

#6 Posted by 1che3zeman1 (347 posts) -
If you have Half Life 2 download the Nightmare House 2 mod. Scary stuff plus free if you have Half life 2. Other than that FEAR, FEAR 3 (kinda), STALKER
#7 Posted by ButchDeadlift (25 posts) -

If you have Half Life 2 download the Nightmare House 2 mod. Scary stuff plus free if you have Half life 2. Other than that FEAR, FEAR 3 (kinda), STALKER1che3zeman1
This. NH2 is **** crazy. It's like they wanted to make an amalgamation of all the best horror PC games and succeeded beautifully. Even the first 10 minutes are incredibly unsettling.

#8 Posted by DavalPrestor (125 posts) -
I bought Amnesia on the Steam sale but then I read that people think its one of the scariest games so I havent touched it yet :(
#9 Posted by ButchDeadlift (25 posts) -
I bought Amnesia on the Steam sale but then I read that people think its one of the scariest games so I havent touched it yet :(DavalPrestor
Only way to know is to try it yourself! I looooove horror games, and right now the top of the heap, IMO, goes like this: 1) Silent Hill 2 2) Amnesia 3) Condemned 4) Nightmare House 2
#10 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6416 posts) -

Amnesia, Cyrostasis, STALKER (not scary, more tense), Certain aspects of VTM:B. In the milder end are FEAR and DOOM 3 (exceptionel sound, even by todays standards, and by far the most disturbing, and scary element, just like horror movies).

Also there is something to be said about: CAll of Cthulhu: dark corners of the earth, Undying, Penumbra and Nosferatu:the wrath of machai. They are either so old that they are not truely scary, or not scary by default, but have the right horror atmosphere.

#11 Posted by DavalPrestor (125 posts) -
[QUOTE="DavalPrestor"]I bought Amnesia on the Steam sale but then I read that people think its one of the scariest games so I havent touched it yet :(ButchDeadlift
Only way to know is to try it yourself! I looooove horror games, and right now the top of the heap, IMO, goes like this: 1) Silent Hill 2 2) Amnesia 3) Condemned 4) Nightmare House 2

Nah. I have a pretty nice pair of headphones so if I play like Mass Effect I sometimes have to turn around because I am sure someone moved behind me. I cant imagine what its like in a really good horror game :)
#12 Posted by jernas (1513 posts) -

Doom 3 is pretty scary. Otherwise Dead Space, F.E.A.R. maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#13 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

I've seen Cryostasis mentioned twice now. When does it get scary ? I played the first 2 hours and wasn't even on edge. It wasn't scary at all.

#14 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Amnesia definitely. It makes me feel uneasy playing with headphones late at night alone. (the only way you should play horror games). The penumbra games are great too.

#15 Posted by Treflis (11491 posts) -
Condemned : Criminal Origins.
#16 Posted by Croag821 (2318 posts) -
The first hour or to of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is pretty scary and fun, but it turns into a shooter after that. I found fear to be creepy for the first couple of hours but it soon gets old. STALKER is a great game and does have tense moments but its more of a moody shooter. If your looking at pure horror Condemned would be your best bet IMO.
#17 Posted by ButchDeadlift (25 posts) -

Doom 3 stops being scary after you figure out that something will always jump out of a nearby vent or from in the shadows.

It's like Dead Space: the scares are less about atmosphere and more about waiting for something to jump out and make loud noises. You could have a game that's all about walking through a toy store and every so often an otter jump out and shrieks loudly at you and it'd be just as scary.

#18 Posted by Morrdecai (614 posts) -
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the earth
#19 Posted by poovannaorcbane (543 posts) -

Hey I want to make a purchase for me and my friends to play in THE DARK! Anyone know some really scary PC games to buy other than Prenumbra: Black Plague & Amnesia: The Final Descent?

camera3
FEAR and DEAD SPACE 1, STALKER is scary when u play during the night cycle
#20 Posted by Mortos13 (282 posts) -

Well, the only good ones out there are Call of Cthulu, Amnesia, and the Penumbra series. They're more "tense" scary than "pop at you" scary. There arent that many scary games out there.

#21 Posted by The_Ronin129 (188 posts) -
Bioshock, that game scared me the whole way through.
#22 Posted by with_teeth26 (6076 posts) -

Amnesia and the Penumbra series are the only games I know of that are legitimately terrifying.

Call of Cthulhu, Cryostasis, the Stalker series and some other titles are definitely creepy/eerie, but I wouldn't call them scarey.