Sata 2 and Z77 motherboard compatibility

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

As the title suggests, I was wondering if this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Will support this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262 (I'm really hoping that I found the right model here online. I couldn't find anything with pictures that showed the plugs.)

I'm building a PC and dad had a couple of these lying around from a computer that these were not compatible with. They are brand new, so I'm hoping to save a few bucks on hdd. As far as I can tell, they are compatible, but I wanted to double check. Also, If they are, I don't have any cords to connect them to the Mobo. Wouldn't I just be able to order those online as well? Thanks!

#2 Posted by General_X (9044 posts) -
Sata is completely backwards compatible, so as long as the plugs on your hard drive match those in the picture, everything will connect fine. And motherboards always come with a couple SATA cables, no need to buy them seprately unless you plan on running more than 1HDD and 1 disk drive (or just 2 hard drives).
#3 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

Okay! Cool! I didn't know that they were backwards compatable. That just saved me $100 or so. Thanks again!

#4 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

Actually it turns out that I had the wrong model posted. I have an ATA hdd. Of course, the plugs will be different, so would that still be compatible with this board if I get the correct plugs?

#5 Posted by General_X (9044 posts) -
Natively no, you will not be able to connect an ATA hard drive to that motherboard, and I can't personally vouch for any of the ATA to SATA adapters that are available.
#6 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

Well, shoot. Thanks anyway! :)

#7 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

You could however pick up some hdd housing and turn them into USB drives, thats what i have done a few times

#8 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

Yeah, but I've heard that cuts down on speed. I don't feel like doing that. I'll just bite the bullet and buy a new hdd. I was just hoping I could save some money! Thanks for the suggestion though!

#9 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

Yeah, but I've heard that cuts down on speed. I don't feel like doing that. I'll just bite the bullet and buy a new hdd. I was just hoping I could save some money! Thanks for the suggestion though!

soolkiki

No doubt - its more to put them to use rather than leave $100 laying about doing nowt. Its extra storage and can be set up to be used with the TV, PS3 or Xbox..........well basically anything that has a usb port. Useful for photos, films and the sorts - and ofc backing your PC up

#10 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

Good idea!