Saints Row the Third Running Very Slow on my Comp

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fighter91 (1293 posts) -

I have an ATI card and I've been running every modern game fine with it. However, saints row is the only game where it stutters/lags a lot. I checked the forums for the game and supposedly a ton of people with an ATI card have a problem with the game too. The steam forum page reached probably 20 or so pages and no fix has been released by THQ.

I was wondering if anyone has any possible fix for this game?

My specs are:

AMD quad core A6-3420M 1.5 GHz processor

4 gb DDR3 ram

320 gb 7200 HDD

ATI 7670M video card with 1gb VRAM + crossfire with 6520G

Once again, I can run any other game that I have in my steam catalog just fine with my specs so I'm sure it can't be a spec issue. It's just bothering me because I'm a big saints row fan and I guess I will be forced to buy the ps3 version since the PC version is horribly optimized.

#2 Posted by IcyToasters (12476 posts) -

not sure if this helps, but when I'm playing it, it seems like the game stutters when you're moving through the world really fast, like across a one of the bridges in a vehicle.
seems like it might be less noticeable if you're moving through the world high up in a helicopter or plane, or if it's during a mission.

I don't think it got better by itself, but I might've got used to the way it stutters now because I don't think of it much. Other open world games like STALKER and Oblivion had similar stutters from what I remember.

I've got a Radeon 6950 2GB, E8400 duo core @3.00Ghz, and 4GB of RAM.

#3 Posted by SharkheadHD (227 posts) -

Get 8GB RAM, it's the new norm for guaranteed smooth gameplay. Although I personally managed to play SR3 with 4GB RAM, it wasn't very stable until I got 8GB RAM. Consider investing ~$40 into some extra RAM.

#4 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
I heard some AMD cards had problems, I don't think it has been fully fixed.
#5 Posted by IZoMBiEI (6477 posts) -
I heard some AMD cards had problems, I don't think it has been fully fixed.SaltyMeatballs
I have an ATI 5700 and the game runs perfectly for me with max settings. It doesn't seem to be his card, probably his ram or processor, 1.5 GHZ is pretty low.
#6 Posted by SharkheadHD (227 posts) -
I heard some AMD cards had problems, I don't think it has been fully fixed.SaltyMeatballs
I run it at 40-60 FPS. Even at 30 FPS it is surprisingly playable.
#7 Posted by BPoole96 (22811 posts) -

I was having the same problem so I just run the game in DX9 and I never drop below 55fps

#8 Posted by fighter91 (1293 posts) -
I don't understand how people are still blaming my specs. I wasn't kidding when I said I run all other games okay, which includes GTA 4, Max Payne 3, Batman Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs, Metro 2033, etc. Are you trying to tell me Saints row the third is a better looking game than any of the above?
#9 Posted by IZoMBiEI (6477 posts) -

I don't understand how people are still blaming my specs. I wasn't kidding when I said I run all other games okay, which includes GTA 4, Max Payne 3, Batman Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs, Metro 2033, etc. Are you trying to tell me Saints row the third is a better looking game than any of the above?fighter91
looks like your processor, you're running a quad 1.5 ghz, I run the game perfectly with a quad 2.8, and that looks like the main difference between our two computers.

#10 Posted by kozzy1234 (35329 posts) -

Not sure what the issue is (maybe cpu?), but I found Saints Row 3 to be one of the more optimized open world games around.

#11 Posted by fighter91 (1293 posts) -

Not sure what the issue is (maybe cpu?), but I found Saints Row 3 to be one of the more optimized open world games around.

kozzy1234
The most logical issue I could think of is this is some sort of an ATI problem with the game. There are countless other users who have specs much better than mine but still have the same issues. We even begged for a patch but Saints Row dev team never released one. So disappointing...
#12 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Get 8GB RAM, it's the new norm for guaranteed smooth gameplay. Although I personally managed to play SR3 with 4GB RAM, it wasn't very stable until I got 8GB RAM. Consider investing ~$40 into some extra RAM.

SharkheadHD
4GB RAM is still plenty. BF3 is the only game I can think of that exceeds that amount. When I had 4GB, BF3 still didn't exceed that amount on my system playing at max settings 1200p. Video ram is more important. When I play Saints Row The Third, it takes up more than 1GB vram (around 1100-1200mb).
#13 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

kozzy1234
Assuming you are not using an AMD GPU, it's hit and miss when it comes to AMD GPUs and SR3.
#14 Posted by BPoole96 (22811 posts) -

kozzy1234

I played it earlier this year on my 6950s fully maxed out with no prolem at all. Once a bunch of the DLC and patches were released, the game would stay between 20-30 fps if I had it maxed out. Even if I lowered settings, it would still look choppy despite fraps telling me it was 60fps. I wasn't until I ran in the game in DX9 that it was actually playabale again.

#15 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
I run it at 40-60 FPS. Even at 30 FPS it is surprisingly playable. SharkheadHD
I have an ATI 5700 and the game runs perfectly for me with max settings. It doesn't seem to be his card, probably his ram or processor, 1.5 GHZ is pretty low.IZoMBiEI
I have a 5850 and I got the game at launch, I was getting 20 to 25 average FPS in open world, the opening scene at the beginning ran fine and I thought the rest would be okay. Doesn't seem like GTA IV where my quad core 3.2Ghz would struggle, so maybe my RAM is crap or something. Since then I never touched it again, seemed like it was a bad port at the time, and I don't have the desire anymore to play it (happens to me sometimes)
#16 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

Game runs a bit crap for me too.

#17 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

It's not just you, it's really unoptimised and runs like crap

#18 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

It's not just you, it's a crappy port

Darth_Kane
Clearly you have not played SR2, THAT is a crappy port. Voliltion just did a crap job at optimizing for AMD cards, works fine Nvidia, and I'm assuming Intel IGP.
#19 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

EliteM0nk3y
Clearly you have not played SR2, THAT is a crappy port. Voliltion just did a crap job at optimizing for AMD cards, works fine Nvidia, and I'm assuming Intel IGP.

Yea, SRTT wasn't a port, If it was it wouldn't have DX11 i don't think there is ANY game that is a console port and has dx11.
#20 Posted by IZoMBiEI (6477 posts) -

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"][QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

faizan_faizan

Yea, SRTT wasn't a port, If it was it wouldn't have DX11 i don't think there is ANY game that is a console port and has dx11.

resident evil 5

nvm, that dx10, you may be right

#21 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

EliteM0nk3y

Played it. It's just as bad.

For SR3 on a i5 3450 (3.1 Ghz), 8gb 1333mhz RAM, GeForce 550ti 1gb the only possible way to get 60fps is on the lowest possible settings.

In Dx9 in medium settings I get 20-40fps. I call that horrible optimisation

#22 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

Darth_Kane

For SR3 on a i5 3450 (3.1 Ghz), 8gb 1333mhz RAM, GeForce 550ti 1gb the only possible way to get 60fps is on the lowest possible settings.

Or it could be your hardware, the 550 Ti isn't the greatest card out there.
#23 Posted by KHAndAnime (14515 posts) -
Saints Row 3 ran fairly well on a single 5850 (high/med settings), ran great on my 5850 crossfire (almost maxed, ~60 fps), and runs excellent on my GTX 670 (maxed, ~100+ fps). Honestly, that processor sounds way too weak to me. At 1.5ghz per core, you're reliant on whatever program being ran to be perfectly optimized for quad code. I don't think games in general are very optimized for quad cores, and are very reliant on at least one or two fast cores as opposed to multiple slower ones. I feel sorry for people having issues running it because it runs great for me and I'd rate it highly as a port.
#24 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"] Clearly you have not played SR2, THAT is a crappy port. Voliltion just did a crap job at optimizing for AMD cards, works fine Nvidia, and I'm assuming Intel IGP.EliteM0nk3y

Still not a terrible card. My 275 is slightly better and the game runs badly for me too. Most console ports I play no problem high/max settings at 1080p, saints row is all over the place framerate wise.
#25 Posted by kozzy1234 (35329 posts) -

kraken2109

Still not a terrible card. My 275 is slightly better and the game runs badly for me too. Most console ports I play no problem high/max settings at 1080p, saints row is all over the place framerate wise.

SR3 is not a 'console' port as you say, its built for PC (DX11 is NOT on consoles).

#26 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -

It's still a port, and not as good as Sleeping Dogs port which ran beautifully. I know both games have DX11 features but this doesn't NOT make it a port IMO, maybe others disagree but whatever.

8 months after the games launch they were still having problems on AMD cards:

http://saintsrow.com/community/go/thread/view/136781/29242361/AMD_UPDATE_-_JULY_2012&post_num=1

#27 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"] Or it could be your hardware, the 550 Ti isn't the greatest card out there.kozzy1234

SR3 is not a 'console' port as you say, its built for PC (DX11 is NOT on consoles).

I am not using DX11, and it is clearly not built for PC.
#28 Posted by kingpandaslappe (1 posts) -
lies Xd I has the radeon HD 5870 and 8gb of ddr5 ram and it runs at 5 frames per second :? however portal 2 runs at 90??????
#29 Posted by kraken2109 (13198 posts) -
lies Xd I has the radeon HD 5870 and 8gb of ddr5 ram and it runs at 5 frames per second :? however portal 2 runs at 90??????kingpandaslappe
Joins gamespot just to bump a 3 month old thread.
#30 Posted by undeadgoon (621 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingpandaslappe"]lies Xd I has the radeon HD 5870 and 8gb of ddr5 ram and it runs at 5 frames per second :? however portal 2 runs at 90??????kraken2109
Joins gamespot just to bump a 3 month old thread.

there seems to be loads of lvl 1's bumping old threads atm... i guess someone finds it funny