S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Fallout 3/NV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 0Hamburgher (957 posts) -

So I'm looking around for a good open FPS.

So far the games Stalker really interest me, but I'd like to hear more on the games.

Also, I was wondering if you guys think it stacks up to the new Fallouts (I haven't played either) since those are wildly hyped.

Also, if there are any other open ended FPS games you guys can think of, I'm open to suggestion.

#2 Posted by the_bi99man (11024 posts) -

Really depends what you're looking for. FO3 and NV are much more RPG-ish than STALKER (especially NV). The story is told much more deliberately, with far more dialog, and there's actually leveling systems, with attributes and stuff like that, in the Fallout games. STALKER is just open world FPS. The RPG elements are limited to an inventory system, loot finding, and weapon/armor upgrading and modding. That, and the radioactive artifacts you find, which can be equipped on your belt for bonuses like chemical resist, radiation resist, increased endurance, etc.

I really love both series, but my personal recommendation, if you are only gonna go for one, would definitely be STALKER. Those games just have such great atmosphere, interesting stories, and some of the most intensely realistic shooting mechanics/ballistics out there. Try either Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat first. And I would definitely recommend getting the Complete Mod with either of them. Doesn't change core gameplay or story in any way, just improves stability and tweaks a few things to make the games a bit more polished. SoC can be pretty rough around some edges without it. CoP is more polished right out of the box, but I still like the Complete Mod for it. There are also some other mods that do some really cool things (especially for CoP), but I wouldn't advise them for a first playthrough, as they do actually change a lot of things.

#3 Posted by kramernic (124 posts) -

The fallout games are great, especially new vegas. Although I have always been into the fallout universe and story.

Played the STALKER games and never could quite get into them. However I prefer games with more RPG elements, so I guess it just comes to preference.

So I would recommend Fallout NV.

#4 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Definitely Fallout: New Vegas, but wait for a sale. Over the past weekend, there was a sale on Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Editoin for like $6. You just missed it.

#5 Edited by Postmortem123 (7566 posts) -

Fallout 3 and NV. Shadow of Chernobyl(Complete) is great but I didn't really like the other two.

I could probably get in to Call of Pripyat more if the FOV didn't make me sick and the textures didn't load 10ft in front of you.

#6 Posted by LeftClick007 (76 posts) -

STALKER get my vote,I couldn't get into New Vegas as much, the atmosphere just cant match the atmosphere in STALKER, STALKER is a shooter though. Fallout is an rpg with shooting mechanics, theres a big difference. Don't know if either one has a demo but if there is you should try them out cause they are really nothing alike. I'm sure I just overlooked New Vegas but I'll definitely give it another chance sometime soon.

#7 Edited by groowagon (2739 posts) -

Stalker is a bit more FPS, Fallout is a bit more RPG.

both are great games, but Fallout (i preferred New Vegas) has far greater production values, and i think it was better experience overall. Stalker is truly an unpolished gem too.

also check out Far Cry 3 if you haven't already.

@the_bi99man "I really love both series, but my personal recommendation, if you are only gonna go for one, would definitely be STALKER. Those games just have such great atmosphere, interesting stories, and some of the most intensely realistic shooting mechanics/ballistics out there."

that's true, though. the atmosphere is nothing like i've seen in any other game. you really feel more like you are in there with Stalker.

#8 Posted by Macutchi (3935 posts) -

So I'm looking around for a good open FPS.

So far the games Stalker really interest me, but I'd like to hear more on the games.

Also, I was wondering if you guys think it stacks up to the new Fallouts (I haven't played either) since those are wildly hyped.

Also, if there are any other open ended FPS games you guys can think of, I'm open to suggestion.

if it's a fps you're looking for then the stalker games are the natural answer. they're very unique and hugely atmospheric with elements of horror. be warned though there are no hand holding introductions - which can be a bit off putting to some - and, in my opinion, taken in isolation the actual shooting mechanics don't quite have the finesse or visceral feeling of other shooters. but they're some of my favourite pc games of recent years.

fallout3 and nv on the other hand are much more initially accessible, have interesting worlds to explore, have some great story (and some not so great) paths, reasonable rpg elements and a fairly satisfying combat system in VATS. many prefer nv over 3 although i enjoyed both. if you liked skyrim or any of the elder scrolls games, you'll like the newer fallout games.

as far as good open fps goes, if you haven't played the original crysis, make it a priority

#9 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

If you're after a FPS, then Stalker is the obvious choice. The stalker series is first and foremost a FPS. The gunplay in Fallout 3/NV is terrible.

#10 Posted by bulby_g (977 posts) -

I prefer Fallout 3/NV for the story but the gunplay in Stalker is certainly much better. Both are well worth sinking a lot of hours into though!

#11 Posted by kraken2109 (12948 posts) -

Fallout games are more accessible and easier to get into. There are also lots of great mods for both NV and 3.

Stalker has some as well, the Complete mod (for shadow of Chernobyl) fixes a lot of things as well as improving graphics.

#12 Posted by Arthas045 (5047 posts) -

I have never played the Stalker games, but I can say the new Fallout games are great. They provide a decent story and the exploration is awesome. They have a little bit of everything going from them. Also RAGE is something in that same genre/scenario, but I only found it to be ok.

#13 Edited by longtonguecat (2490 posts) -

If you can get into the STALKER games, you'll fall in love with them. The vanilla versions are very rough around the edges though and can be quite offputting at first. The two modern Fallout games are great but not really shooters exactly, but are also easy to fall in love with. I'd recommend just watching a few videos of each and judging off that. I'd play both eventually either way though. :)

#14 Posted by Ricardo41 (1027 posts) -

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl is not an RPG, it's a first person shooter. So, in a sense, you're comparing apples to dune buggies. That said, I vastly prefered Stalker to Fallout NV, which I found tedious, and often laggy and buggy.

If you decide to go for Stalker, you should install the "Complete Mod", available here. The mod vastly improves almost every aspect of the game.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

"Complete mods" are also available for the two sequels, Stalker Clear Sky and Stalker Call of Pripyat.

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl is now a budget game, so there is really no reason not to try it. If you do, I'd recommend a) getting the "secret suit", stashed away in the attic in one of the houses in the starting camp, b) avoiding the military camp down the road to your right, and c) getting a scope as soon as possible. This will vastly improve your enjoyment of the game.

#15 Posted by pelvist (4466 posts) -

Id go with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. -Fallout is like Elder Scrolls with guns.

#16 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

Fallout 3/NV are great rpgs, and with mods they can get pretty eye candy.

Stalker is no rpg, it's a clunky Fps with bad mechanics that might feel immersive with the right visual mods

#17 Posted by Nanomage (2302 posts) -

STALKER easily,it has great shooting mechanics and it´s a heck of a lot more immersive than the 3D Fallout games.

#18 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4076 posts) -

STALKER is easily my favorite game series, but I also loved New Vegas a ton too. The two series aren't similar at all though. STALKER is an FPS with minor RPG elements, while New Vegas is much more of an RPG. Why not get both? You can get them for dirt cheap during a steam sale.

#19 Edited by skipper847 (3013 posts) -

I have tried STALKER SOC many times on steam and the one thing what I do the most is see which mods are best and never get to play it as more bothered about the mods working right on steam. lol

#20 Edited by the_bi99man (11024 posts) -

I have tried STALKER SOC many times on steam and the one thing what I do the most is see which mods are best and never get to play it as more bothered about the mods working right on steam. lol

Just get the Complete Mod and play the game. The one I linked is a simple .exe installer, and it works with Steam.

#21 Posted by with_teeth26 (5986 posts) -

for me,

Stalker: SoC> Fallout: New Vegas >Stalker:CoP> Fallout 3 > Stalker: CS

All worth playing though, also depends what you are after as others have said.

#22 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5886 posts) -

I loved them all. I hated that a patch for SoC actually went out a month or so back and it messed up my save file (was running complete mod). :(

#23 Posted by 0Hamburgher (957 posts) -

Well, it generally seems that Stalker is recommended, here, and that one I'll definitely pick up. I think a friend of mine has Fallout, so I'll borrow it from him, but could you guys explain Fallout a bit more?How long is the story, is there a lot to do (as in missions) is there tons of loot, and is it more slow paced or is it fast paced, is there more strategy involved than your average shooter, etc.?

Besides combat, story, and visuals what else draws you to Fallout?

#24 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4076 posts) -

Well, it generally seems that Stalker is recommended, here, and that one I'll definitely pick up. I think a friend of mine has Fallout, so I'll borrow it from him, but could you guys explain Fallout a bit more?How long is the story, is there a lot to do (as in missions) is there tons of loot, and is it more slow paced or is it fast paced, is there more strategy involved than your average shooter, etc.?

Besides combat, story, and visuals what else draws you to Fallout?

New Vegas has a lot more to do than any STALKER game. I have 70ish hours on my character and I still haven't done everything. It's an open world RPG with many missions (quests). The gameplay is slower than your typical FPS, although not much slower than STALKER. There is a lot of items, but it's not really loot (it's nothing like BL2) just different types of weapons and armor. There is as much strategy involved as you want there to be. You don't really need to plan attacks to beat the game though. You do have to account for finite ammo though, just like in STALKER. Actually, ammo seems harder to come by in Fallout than any STALKER game for me. STALKER, on the other hand, requires more strategy for battles, but still not a whole lot.

What draws me, and most people, to fallout is the universe. What isn't awesome about a 50's future inspired apocalypse?

As a note, I'm am talking about New Vegas, not Fallout 3. I believe that New Vegas is miles better than FO3.

#25 Edited by PredatorRules (7049 posts) -

Fallout 3 is one of my fav games out there, but I wouldn't recommend it to you if you're more into FPS and less for RPG, STALKER is the perfect game.

The difference between those two is that STALKER is FPS with minor RPG elements, while Fallout 3/NV is RPG game with minor FPS elements.

#26 Posted by MrYaotubo (2507 posts) -

Easily STALKER,don´t forget to use the complete mod though.

#27 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

Fallout NV is much better than Fallout 3, but the shitty game engine lets the game down. I honestly think I'd enjoy the game more if it was in isometric perspective if it meant having no annoying bugs and quirks to contend with.

#28 Edited by JohnyBGooD2 (11 posts) -

Stalker !