Rumour: Intel to stop manufacturing LGA CPUs, killing off enthusiast PCs...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://games.on.net/2012/11/rumour-intel-to-stop-manufacturing-lga-cpus-killing-off-enthusiast-pcs/

PLEASE let this NOT be true.....

Personally I think it's not true because it would give AMD a big advantage in the market.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I would be shocked if this turned out to be true as reported.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside

hartsickdiscipl
I think PART of it might be true. Intel will bring out specific CPU models for their boards, but still have the other CPU Models for other brand mainboards.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
This isnt recent news, there was talking from intel, of after haswell intel would control all aspects of their cpu's and putting motherboard manufacturing out of the job when it came to options and control. This type of news, and intel goes through with it might give AMD the boost it needs.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

FelipeInside
I think PART of it might be true. Intel will bring out specific CPU models for their boards, but still have the other CPU Models for other brand mainboards.

intel boards with intel cpu's they make more money instead of HP or dell or whomever going with 3rd party board makers. Intel monopoly at its best.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

http://games.on.net/2012/11/rumour-intel-to-stop-manufacturing-lga-cpus-killing-off-enthusiast-pcs/

Personally I think it's not true because it would give AMD a big advantage in the market.

FelipeInside

Emmm, Ultrabooks and All-In-One PCs...

How about BGA CPU on a card?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

ronvalencia

They are talking about desktop motherboards.

Like I said before though, I say it's BS. They would be giving AMD too much instant marketshare.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher

A few months ago info about haswell, and future chips....

"It is not a secret that code-named Haswell micro-architecture central processing units (CPUs) have tremendous importance for Intel Corp. What is interesting is that as Haswell processors integrate more features than its predecessors, it will also seriously affect the market of mainboards, which may essentially kill smaller manufacturers of motherboards integrate numerous things, such as power phase control, that previously were enabled by external components.

As a result, in many cases mainboards makers will have less opportunities to differentiate themselves. The situation on the motherboards market will get even worse in 2014, when Intel plans to start promoting Rockwell/Broadwell-based desktop-class system-on-chips with integrated input/output features. Moreover, eventually Intel plans to physically integrate I/O controllers (south bridges) into microprocessors, thus, decreasing importance of advanced design of mainboards.

All-in-all, as more platform functionality migrates from mainboard into CPUs, motherboard makers will have less opportunities to compete and will either have to consolidate their businesses or just quit the market. In fact, the number of more or less-known branded mainboard suppliers have dropped from around 21 in 2007 to approximately 11 in 2012, that trend will only continue in the future."

Basically less options for the customers that build computers.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

They are talking about desktop motherboards.

Like I said before though, I say it's BS. They would be giving AMD too much instant marketshare.

Motherboard manufactures can get around the BGA issue with SoC-on-a-card or APU-on-a-card approach. The motherboard only provides PEG slots and other I/O connectors.

PEG slots can be done away with optical fiber connections.

If Broadwell is a SoC, then there's very little left of the motherboard.

I imagine it's a small card with Intel Broadwell SoC with an exposed "fat" PCI-E connector. This SoC card slots into the baseboard's SoC PCI-E slot. The baseboard provides PCI-E for graphics cards, SATA/RAID ports, USB 2.0/3.0 ports, 5.1/7.1 Audio ports, and 'etc'.

Graphics cards are already near-APU-on-a-card i.e. it already provides Audio via HDMI, memory controllers, pci-express connection, AMD GCN (already with X86-64 IP kitbash) and display ports.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ronvalencia

This is not good for us builders as Intel would force us to use their main board set or go with the slower AMD. Slower as of now AMD. Less options means higher prices.

roulettethedog
On per core basis, AMD Steamroller double X86 decode rate to four X86 instructions per cycle i.e. matches Intel Core Sandybridge/Ivybridge.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts
They are not killing off the lga 2011 socket, are they?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I'm thinking its an error in translation, I doubt even the big bad Intel would attempt to crush multiple companies who rely on motherboards for profit... It won't end well or won't happen at all. That I know.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 04dcarraher

I'm thinking its an error in translation, I doubt even the big bad Intel would attempt to crush multiple companies who rely on motherboards for profit... It won't end well or won't happen at all. That I know.JohnF111
lol, your to naive, intel have their own motherboards, which in their eyes remove all 3rd party options make more money. Intel does not care, why do you think they tried to run AMD into the ground back in 2006/2007....

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
OEM motherboards will still exist they will just have a CPU soldiered onto it.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

As has been mentioned a few times elsewhere, this story seems to term a "mainstream" market effect.

Generally, nobody believes that HEDT/Workstations/Servers will be affected due to the nature of those markets and customers and thus will retain LGA if true. I basically see this as a sort of "Garrisson" strategy. At this point Intel is shifting it's attention to where the market is headed. PC sales have been slipping YoY, However the sales of AOI PC's continues to grow. Since AMD has pretty much expressed little desire to compete with Intel on the high end, Intel has no worry there, but has to work on the exploding charge of ARM's expansion.

Do I agree? Still no. But I have my other doubts.

Such as Semi-Accurate, and Charlie's tendancies to overexaggerate every single detail and liken it to an apocalypse.

Again Assuming this is true.

Edit: That, and I think Intel would rather spend it's money on mediation of it's markets rather than the global army of lawyers that they would need to fend off the Anti Trust Zerg.

Edit 2:Going to BGA is a move to cater to the mainstream, and also to force enthusiasts to buy their higher-end chips that will allow upgrades.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]I'm thinking its an error in translation, I doubt even the big bad Intel would attempt to crush multiple companies who rely on motherboards for profit... It won't end well or won't happen at all. That I know.04dcarraher

lol, your to naive, intel have their own motherboards, which in their eyes remove all 3rd party options make more money. Intel does not care, why do you think they tried to run AMD into the ground back in 2006/2007....

You're saying Intel will do this? There will be a lot of lawsuits and Intel will not win. I think you're the naive one this time. It won't happen, ever.
Xiumph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xiumph
Member since 2012 • 109 Posts

Why do I feel like the desktop is slipping away from us gamers.... The market is slowly taking things away from us and Im not even sure if I can retain this hobby for many more years to come. It's rediculous really....

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

This is not good for us builders as Intel would force us to use their main board set or go with the slower AMD. Slower as of now AMD. Less options means higher prices.

roulettethedog
Yeah, but honestly, do you really need THAT much power? atleast for games? My Phenom II will probably last for years without needing an upgrade. And besides, AMD procs are bound to become good enough to compete with Intel's soon.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]I'm thinking its an error in translation, I doubt even the big bad Intel would attempt to crush multiple companies who rely on motherboards for profit... It won't end well or won't happen at all. That I know.JohnF111

You're saying Intel will do this? There will be a lot of lawsuits and Intel will not win. I think you're the naive one this time. It won't happen, ever.

Then why are they planning on it when you say its not going to happen. Its their boards and processors they can do whatever they want, what lawsuits? intel isnt bound to anything when a new socket/cpu comes out.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

04dcarraher

intel boards with intel cpu's they make more money instead of HP or dell or whomever going with 3rd party board makers. Intel monopoly at its best.

Indeed. Also a bit dis-heartening.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mozuckint

LMAO.. so Mostly-Inaccurate has picked up the story with these gems:
1. Apparently Intel already killed the desktop enthusiast market with... Nehalem... so there's nothing left to destroy anymore.
2. So the SOCKET IS DEAD.... except for the fact that Charlie then goes on to say that Skylake will have a socket, BUT NO, REALLY THE SOCKET IS DEAD. So basically, the socket is dead, except for all of these Intel products that still have sockets. Check.
3. Kool-aid TIME: ARM is now the new enthusiast platform! Yup, some guy posted a (probably faked) screenshot of a cell-phone overclocked to 3 GHz and that is proof that enthusiasts only care about ARM now.

So here's the Charlie logic:
1. Intel has sockets.
2. Intel may abandon sockets in the future, except for all of these products where it won't.
3. ARM has never been socketed (at least in any device that consumers buy).
4. Therefore: All enthusiasts will completely abandon x86 and go to ARM because Intel is supposedly completely abandoning the socket (except for a bunch of products where it won't abandon the socket).
5. In conclusion: SOCKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR ENTHUSIASTS EXCEPT FOR ARM WHERE SOCKETS ARE EVIL AND BAD!

This if from a native-Japanese speaker posting on Xbit-labs so take it with a grain of salt (but then again, take everything with a grain of salt):

EDIT: This article is mistranslated.

This article says:

-- Intel will not provide new products for Desktop and non-BGA laptop segments in Broadwell era
-- Instead, they will provide higher clocked Haswell for those segments in 2014
-- Broadwell is "more than tick", and it will include some technologies that were previously planned for Skylake
-- This is because Intel needs to be more competitive in the tablet market, and this may mean the end of Tick-Tock strategy
-- It mentions nothing about Skylake and later or if they will be LGA or not for the desktop.

Source

The above post makes aTONof sense: Haswell continues on the desktop in a rev 2 version in 2014in the standard LGA format we have come to expect, while Broadwell is exclusively targeted at mobile solutionswhere BGA packaging is already well established so nothing really changes. Could there be some all-in-one Broadwell solutions that make it into desktops? Sure, but they wouldn't be any different than the all-in-one solutions using mobile chips that you see now, so once again: nothing changes.

Another piece of the puzzle: Remember how I lampooned Semiaccurate? Well Charlie himself says that Sky Lake is showing up in LGA packaging on the desktop! So it makes sense: On the desktop there is still LGA, don't panic. Intel could simply be skippingdesktopBroadwell, which actually makes a lot of sense considering that Broadwell on the desktop compared to Haswell would be similar to Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge: not a huge step up. In mobile, however, Broadwell should be worth the effort.

Good news for AMD: Trinity +Trinity 2.0 will still have better IGPs on the desktop.
Bad news for AMD: In mobile, where IGPs really count, Haswell is going to take away the Trinity advantange and Broadwell is going to make life tough for Kaveri.

Since we're at it anyway.

http://techreport.com/news/23951/rumor-intel-to-stop-offering-socketed-desktop-cpus

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] lol, your to naive, intel have their own motherboards, which in their eyes remove all 3rd party options make more money. Intel does not care, why do you think they tried to run AMD into the ground back in 2006/2007....

04dcarraher

Then why are they planning on it when you say its not going to happen. Its their boards and processors they can do whatever they want, what lawsuits? intel isnt bound to anything when a new socket/cpu comes out.

We hear rumours every day and not many ever come to anything, especially ones like this. The only way this will happen is if the part about ceasing manufacturing of separate components isn't true, soldering CPU's onto the board is fine if it's in addition to continuing what they are doing now. A whole lot of companies will struggle to survive if Intel suddenly thinks "You know what... We don't want you guys making money off our chips anymore so we are now only making CPU and Motherboards as one product". If Intel did do this I would be very very surprised and shocked that they allow such an opening for AMD when from Intel's perspective they have AMD right where they want them, away from their turf and if they do do it I hope AMD steal lots of marketshare and profits. Afterall it's Semiaccurate and they're known for exaggerating things.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

No one gonna consider the source? I mean they're called "Semiaccurate." :P

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I do hope this gives AMD an opportunity to recover. Competition is needed.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I do hope this gives AMD an opportunity to recover. Competition is needed.DeViLzzz

You beat me to saying it. AMD step up now and give us something reasonable to use and we will flock to you. In fact I may just game at lower resolutions and at lower settings and use AMD if Intel screws us. Someone has to send a message to Intel and it will have to be the consumer hurting their bottom line. I am prepared to do this as I have done it with other companies in other situations.

Wouldn't be any need to game at lower resolutions unless the GPU part suddenly starts to hang far behind nVidia in performance. Increased res has next to zero effect on the CPU.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Their GPUs are doing fine, aren't they? And Nvidia doesn't need to be punished anyway unless there is some issue I haven't heard of.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mozuckint

Intel Committed to sockets for the forseeable future

Now can we please stop this fear mongering?

Dear lord, the way some people treat rumors....