Rumor: Windows 9 to be unvieled Sept. 30

• 46 results
#1 Edited by JDWolfie (1860 posts) -
#2 Posted by airshocker (29516 posts) -

This belongs in the PC section.

#3 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29214 posts) -

Am hoping Windows 9 turns out well, it's looked promising from the rumors so far. Hopefully it doesn't move to a subscription model and doesn't go too heavily into the cloud. Also glad it's moving away from that awful "metro" interface - it's absolute garbage.

@airshocker said:

Isn't this also an OT thread though since it's not necessarily related to gaming?

#4 Posted by thehig1 (1747 posts) -

I've only just gotten windows 8 too, and starting to like it.

#5 Posted by airshocker (29516 posts) -

Am hoping Windows 9 turns out well, it's looked promising from the rumors so far. Hopefully it doesn't move to a subscription model and doesn't go too heavily into the cloud. Also glad it's moving away from that awful "metro" interface - it's absolute garbage.

@airshocker said:

Isn't this also an OT thread though since it's not necessarily related to gaming?

Nah man. All PC stuff belongs in the PC and MAC section.

#6 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

But I just upgraded to Windows 8.....

#7 Posted by airshocker (29516 posts) -

@korvus said:

But I just upgraded to Windows 8.....

Bad move, hondo. You'll get a coupon for a free upgrade to 9.

#8 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

@airshocker: I hope so, since I've read somewhere that from now on MS is planning on discontinuing support for older OS as soon as they release a new one.

#9 Posted by airshocker (29516 posts) -

@korvus said:

@airshocker: I hope so, since I've read somewhere that from now on MS is planning on discontinuing support for older OS as soon as they release a new one.

I think they're only discontinuing support for 8. 7 is still being supported. Strongly. They know which side their butter is on.

#10 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

@airshocker: I hope 9 is decent...when I hear a MS representative saying that one of the biggest selling points is that the menus will be like 7 (after all that talk about how Win 8's menus would revolutionise the world...)

I mean, I actually ended up getting used to Metro interface; it's quite handy for some things, but I don't really care if it goes back. It's the fact that they are launching a new OS and their advertisement is centered around menus...

#11 Edited by airshocker (29516 posts) -

@korvus said:

@airshocker: I hope 9 is decent...when I hear a MS representative saying that one of the biggest selling points is that the menus will be like 7 (after all that talk about how Win 8's menus would revolutionise the world...)

I mean, I actually ended up getting used to Metro interface; it's quite handy for some things, but I don't really care if it goes back. It's the fact that they are launching a new OS and their advertisement is centered around menus...

It's centered around what makes 7 better than 8. Menus are definitely part of it. A focus on PC users instead of tablet users is another one of them. 9 will most likely be decent. XP was awesome, then Vista sucked. 7 was the best, then 8 completely blew it. That SHOULD mean that 9 will be fantastic.

#12 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

@airshocker: That seems to be the trend, yeah...I used XP until a few months before Win 8 came out, then I was forced to upgrade to 7 and upgraded to 8 about a month ago when I put together a new pc. I quite liked both XP and 7. Luckily I've always had access to computer with the most recent OS so I knew which ones to skip ( *cough* Millennium)

#13 Posted by farrell2k (5868 posts) -

Pass. I am done with Windows. No need to pay for an OS.

#14 Posted by BranKetra (48496 posts) -

Moved to correct forum

#15 Posted by Korvus (3586 posts) -

@BranKetra: That was nice. It's good to see mods being helpful and, when possible, moving instead of locking threads. Thank you Bran =)

#16 Edited by BranKetra (48496 posts) -

@korvus: You are welcome. I do what I can. :)

#17 Edited by Lach0121 (9844 posts) -

Getting rid of support for 8 this soon, especially while keeping support for 7 is stupid.

9 better get here quick, and be done well if that is the case. Not with ridiculously long list of software that isn't compatible.

Seems as if now you are forced to choose to wait for 9 to release and mature, or go with an almost 5years old windows 7.

#18 Posted by kweeni (10911 posts) -

I hope MS will do something to improve battery life on laptops. Macs with the same hardware as my laptop can run for ~10 hours while I can barely get 2 and a half hours out of it. That's pretty crazy...

#19 Posted by Curlyfrii87 (14941 posts) -

This may make or break them for the business world. Most businesses that I've worked with will not touch Windows 8. Most run 7 and some refuse to leave XP. I think if they do 9 right, they will do very well.

#21 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1763 posts) -

Not interested, sorry. Linux is far better.

#22 Posted by JDWolfie (1860 posts) -

@Curlyfrii87:

Windows 7 support will last until 2020. I don't think most businesses are going to jump to Windows 9 because of having to train employees.

#23 Posted by KHAndAnime (13660 posts) -

Cool. Hopefully it's worth picking up, otherwise I'll just stick to 7 and wait for 10, which is probably coming sooner than I can imagine.

#24 Posted by cyloninside (499 posts) -

guess you are done with pc games then too.... unless you wanna play the 5 that are worth playing on linux.

#25 Posted by KHAndAnime (13660 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

guess you are done with pc games then too.... unless you wanna play the 5 that are worth playing on linux.

Linux is getting more and more every day

#26 Edited by farrell2k (5868 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

Yes, I am going to be done with windows pc games.

#27 Posted by GoutSmasherLive (16 posts) -

And to think I just installed 8.1 last month.It got worse that fast, huh.

#28 Posted by skipper847 (3230 posts) -

So they lied once again when they said windows8 is the future and best yet. Why would they go back to windows 7 style then?. Annoys me when companies Lie out right.

#29 Edited by Daforsaken1 (71 posts) -

@skipper847 said:

So they lied once again when they said windows8 is the future and best yet. Why would they go back to windows 7 style then?. Annoys me when companies Lie out right.

It's M$. Not a big deal for them.

On topic: Nein, ain't wasting my hundred bucks to get a new window license.

#30 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1763 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@farrell2k said:

7 is going to be the last windows os I ever use.

#31 Edited by cyloninside (499 posts) -

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:

@farrell2k said:

7 is going to be the last windows os I ever use.

good luck with that. guess you are going to drop out of the job market completely then.

let us all know how that goes for you.

#32 Edited by farrell2k (5868 posts) -

good luck with that. guess you are going to drop out of the job market completely then.

Yeah, like he can't get a job for one of the companies who uses Linux, which runs more than half the Internet servers in the world. Man, that's stupid.

#33 Posted by heguain (633 posts) -

Windows XP is the best, it felt more stable than others. My 8.1 right now is a pain in the ass.

#34 Posted by osan0 (12708 posts) -

itll be interesting to see what they do.

i wont be upgrading though unless something really grabs my attention. 8.1 is fine. metro is not great but its not enough of a reason to upgrade.

if things keep going the way they are going then 8.1 may also be the last copy of windows i buy.

#35 Posted by cyloninside (499 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

Yeah, like he can't get a job for one of the companies who uses Linux, which runs more than half the Internet servers in the world. Man, that's stupid.

if you would have taken a moment to actually think about your comment instead of just trying to be a smart ass, you would have realized it was idiotic.

servers are not something you sit and work on day in and out. they are not for daily use. there fore, sure.... he totally could get a job that runs linux on their servers.... however that doesnt mean that is the only OS he will be using. infact, almost no one runs just linux on servers anymore. windows server is VERY popular as well, and typically is part of a mixed environment. on top of that, windows is still the gold standard for workstation OS's.... so even if he is in a linux heavy server environment, i can almost guarantee that the workstations that he uses every day will be running windows or at least dual boot windows and linux.

you cannot get away from windows in the business world. think before you speak. it saves you a lot of embarrassment.

#36 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (350 posts) -

Until games either require or take noticeable advantage of some DX version that only W9 will have, I'll stick with 7 only because on my rig, Steam is the only thing that runs on it. I use a mac pro for everything else. As an actual platform to run applications on, I find Windows to be pretty bad really. Mostly because of the registry and also how they let developers do whatever the fck they want with it which pretty much requires the use of AV software as well and the limitations of Metro apps was a start but perhaps too limited. Linux is just flat out superior in many ways, not all of course but most. I would label OSX second but has the flaw of being limited to Apple hardware but that alone has benefits much like anything programmed for specific hardware and features. Windows has it for sheer developer popularity and overall compatibilities but it still shares that legacy issue and OEM's don't help any with their inclusions of bloatware and poorly written drivers. Windows is a victim of it's own success.

#38 Edited by Gelugon_baat (19418 posts) -
@farrell2k said:

Dumb shit. I sit on a Solaris terminal all damned day fiddling with java on a redhat server. No windows in sight. The secretaries and the art guys are on Mac's. Man, you're ignorant. Not everyone is dumb enough to pay for windows licenses.

@cyloninside said:

infact, almost no one runs just linux on servers anymore. ... i can almost guarantee that the workstations that he uses every day will be running windows or at least dual boot windows and linux.

you cannot get away from windows in the business world. think before you speak. it saves you a lot of embarrassment.

I agree - "dumb shit" indeed from cyloninside, "almost guaranteed".

He doesn't even bother doing research to see if there is any surveys on website servers, like W3Tech's survey. Heck, I don't think that he even fully acknowledges the technical reality that Linux, being open-source, would already have a strong advantage in pervasiveness.

It's not the first time that cyloninside pulled poorly-supported statements out of his ass, by the way.

#41 Edited by cyloninside (499 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@cyloninside said:

if you would have taken a moment to actually think about your comment instead of just trying to be a smart ass, you would have realized it was idiotic.

servers are not something you sit and work on day in and out. they are not for daily use. there fore, sure.... he totally could get a job that runs linux on their servers.... however that doesnt mean that is the only OS he will be using. infact, almost no one runs just linux on servers anymore. windows server is VERY popular as well, and typically is part of a mixed environment. on top of that, windows is still the gold standard for workstation OS's.... so even if he is in a linux heavy server environment, i can almost guarantee that the workstations that he uses every day will be running windows or at least dual boot windows and linux.

Dumb shit. I sit on a Solaris terminal all damned day fiddling with java on a redhat server. No windows in sight. The secretaries and the art guys are on Mac's. Man, you're ignorant. Not everyone is dumb enough to pay for windows licenses.

"The secretaries and the art guys are on Mac's"

"Not everyone is dumb enough to pay for windows licenses."

oh god... the irony... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

i guess you guys arent "dumb" enough to pay for windows licenses.... but you ARE dumb enough to pay 3x as much for a Mac. do people really still believe that creative suite or whatever runs better on macs?

keep it up though. clearly you know something everyone else in the business world doesnt.

PS. how long did it take you to google "solaris, java and redhat" so you could make an attempt at sounding like you know what you are talking about? i mean... you must be the most accomplished "fiddler" in the whole damn world for someone to employ you to just sit and "fiddle" with java on a "redhat server" all day. props to you for finding your niche, and finding an employer dumb enough to pay you for it.

#42 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19418 posts) -

i guess you guys arent "dumb" enough to pay for windows licenses.... but you ARE dumb enough to pay 3x as much for a Mac.

Oh sure, draw on the old trope of Apple's products being more expensive.

Really, how would you know about the prices for corporate-owned PCs, cyloninside? Have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere? How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

#43 Posted by cyloninside (499 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

i guess you guys arent "dumb" enough to pay for windows licenses.... but you ARE dumb enough to pay 3x as much for a Mac.

Really, how would you know about the prices for corporate-owned PCs, cyloninside? Have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere? How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

im sorry, gelugon, i forgot that you know everything about his business.

oooooooooh ok, so you are making conjectures as well. ok, that clears a lot up. so now that we have established that your comments are no more valid than mine because they are both based on conjecture, i guess i can feel free to ignore you.

thanks for stopping by and contributing nothing to the conversation though!

FYI, i have loads of exprience ordering Macs in an education environment. i ordered thousands over the course of several years working for a university. the education discounts, and bulk discounts for Macs are negligible. unless they are buying -ancient- Macs, their costs are astronomical compared to the cost of a well specced PC.

#44 Edited by Gelugon_baat (19418 posts) -

oooooooooh ok, so you are making conjectures as well. ok, that clears a lot up. so now that we have established that your comments are no more valid than mine because they are both based on conjecture, i guess i can feel free to ignore you.

What conjectures have I made really? Do point them out then, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

Oh, you are one to say that. What have you contributed then?

FYI, i have loads of exprience ordering Macs in an education environment. i ordered thousands over the course of several years working for a university. the education discounts, and bulk discounts for Macs are negligible. unless they are buying -ancient- Macs, their costs are astronomical compared to the cost of a well specced PC.

Ah, so you are applying your experience in a university to some remark here from someone whom you don't even know work at a university, and you are thinking that what you knew from your experience in a university can somehow be extended to workplaces elsewhere.You are making a lot of assumptions there, cyloninside - as you tend to do.

#45 Edited by cyloninside (499 posts) -

@Gelugon_baat said:

@cyloninside said:

What conjectures have I made really? Do point them out then, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

@cyloninside said:

Oh, you are one to say that. What have you contributed then?

@cyloninside said:

Ah, so you are applying your experience in a university to some remark here from someone whom you don't even know work at a university, and you are thinking that what you knew from your experience in a university can somehow be extended to workplaces elsewhere.You are making a lot of assumptions there, cyloninside - as you tend to do.

have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere?

conjecture

How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

conjecture

again, thanks for stopping by and being your normal self gelugon. you are contributing nothing to the conversation other than idiotic remarks that have nothing to do with anything.... as you tend to do.

#46 Edited by Gelugon_baat (19418 posts) -
@cyloninside said:

have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere?

conjecture

How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

conjecture

I have not even made any statements about anything that is certain; rather, I have posed hypothetical queries about possibilities that -you- have never considered at your own conjectures.

How do you even manage to come to think that I have made conjectures there? I suppose that you once worked at a university but never really studied at one? If you had, you would know that conjectures are conclusive statements made without supporting evidence - not queries which are intended to doubt conjectures.

#47 Posted by PredatorRules (7855 posts) -

Is there any reason for me upgrading from the wonderful 8.1 to 9? (BTW I'm not kidding, I really love 8.1)

#48 Posted by farrell2k (5868 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

The production guys use Imacs, and the secretaries have mac minis. The mini's are around $500 each, but they don't by them from apple directly, so I am sure they get a better price. I know the 27'' Imacs the graphics people use are probably expensive. Of course what that other moron doesn't realize is that they same a ton of cash not having to support a buggy ass windows environment.

#49 Posted by Code135 (808 posts) -

It was mentioned back in spring and even before that M$ is already working on Win9 which "should" hit consumers in 2015. The only new thing is a date given for a "demo look" I guess.

#50 Posted by darkmark91 (2859 posts) -

There are some more rumors that suggest that Windows 9 could be FREE or dirt cheap. Sauce 1Sauce 2

I am not gonna lie, I actually enjoy Windows 8.1 very much. The Start Screen is really not that bad... You can actually organize and customize it how ever you want. Once you get the hang of it, you start to realize it is actually "better." I mean really guys... other than the Start Screen what is actually bad about it?