RPG Games For PC. Controller Or Mouse? (Need Help)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dopeboy206 (252 posts) -

I am not a computer gamer but lately I've been hitting up this section because I want to try something new so I thought of buying a RPG game for the PC. I've never played a computer RPG in my life. Any recommendations? I also want to know is it better playing with a PC controller for RPG games on the computer as oppose to the keyboard and mouse?

#2 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15905 posts) -

The witcher.

And using a Controller for a PC RPG is almost impossible because most RPG's on PC make use of the mouse cursor.

#3 Posted by Deadly_Fatalis (1756 posts) -
I second The Witcher, and using a kb/m is better for RPG's.
#4 Posted by Astaroth2k (877 posts) -

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines..and use mouse and keyboard.The Witcher is also a solid RPG..but VTMB is better...

#5 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines..and use mouse and keyboard.The Witcher is also a solid RPG..but VTMB is better...

Astaroth2k
I don't know if I would go that far... I'd actually rate them on the same level probably. VTMB had a bunch of glitches though, which sucked.
#6 Posted by Astaroth2k (877 posts) -

Community patches fixed it up,i never encountered any bugs.And imo it is the better rpg,again in my opinion.

#7 Posted by parasitesingle (178 posts) -
If you can stomach older visuals, get Fallout. If you can't, Get Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. They are easily two of the greatest roleplaying games ever made. Don't even think about using a pad.
#8 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
The biggest problem with using a gamepad in computer RPGs is that most of them don't natively support it. It shouldn't be a huge problem because RPGs aren't supposed to rely on the reflexes of the gamer like an FPS, but since they're designed around m/kb, it just doesn't work so well. I'll recommend Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines as well. Not only is it a great RPG, but if you want to map the inputs to a gamepad with a program like Xpadder, it actually works pretty well. If you're willing to learn kb/m, I highly recommend Morrowind. Fallout 3 is pretty good (and works natively with the 360 gamepad) but it's not quite as deep of an RPG is the others mentioned in this thread. Fallout might be the best RPG, but your eyes are going to be in pain if it's your first time playing it. It's almost 12 years old now.
#9 Posted by aliblabla2007 (16756 posts) -

Some popular PC RPGS include:

• Bloodlines
  • Fallout 1/2
  • The Witcher
  • Mask of the Betrayer
  • Planescape Torment
  • Baldur's Gate 2
#10 Posted by Critical0151 (16 posts) -
I use a gamepad for fallout 3, it works fine because it FO3 supports gamepads.
#11 Posted by cocodog13 (32 posts) -

The Witcher is an amazing game, as for using a controller, not many pc rpgs support controllers, theyre generaly exclusive to rpgs which have been ported from consoles (fallout 3, mass effect ect) and then unless you have a 360 for windows controller your probably going to have trouble configuring the controller anyway.

#12 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Controllers are only an option on quick ports that were made to be used with a controller