This topic is locked from further discussion.

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ivaturk
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

Hi, I am trying to update my computer with a newer router and after I have connected all the cables it is not accepting the internet. I don't know why this is so I have disconnected it and put the older one back on. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong ? It says that you have to bring up the browser and type in some numbers, but I can't do it if there's no internet connection. Please no answers too technical as I'm not a geek. The newer router is model NP805N

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Insert the install disk?

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ivaturk

@MonsieurX: It doesn't have one, just a paper quick start guide that tells you to type in the numbers 192.168.20.1 into the browser and press enter. But that's no good as there's no internet connection. There's my problem.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Pretty sure you're supposed to type 198.168.1.1,which takes you to the router settings usually

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@ivaturk said:

@MonsieurX: It doesn't have one, just a paper quick start guide that tells you to type in the numbers 192.168.20.1 into the browser and press enter. But that's no good as there's no internet connection. There's my problem.

Dude, those numbers are ment to get you into your router settings, it doesn't require internet connection at all.

Windows button + R > cmd > ipconfig > default gateway should be the same number as been given to you, if not you didn't connect the router like it should've been (LAN ports 1-4 to your computer)

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

Did you connect the router directly to your PC with a ethernet cable?

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ivaturk

@quikdash6: No, to the modem. The modems connected directly to the computer.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

@ivaturk:

You don't need a working internet connection to reach your router. Your local network and the internet are two separate things. Type the ip address into your browser, put in the default username and password, and then set up your network. Usually there's a quick/easy install option in most routers for people who are computer illiterate.

The IP should be: 192.168.1.1

Username/password should be: admin/admin

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ivaturk

@PredatorRules: Ok so when I type those numbers into the browser will it just bring up router settings ?

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigfootpart2

it will first ask you to put in the default username and password. eg admin, admin

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ivaturk

@bigfootpart2: Would that be typed into the internet browser or a different one.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bigfootpart2

Type 192.168.1.1 in the url bar in your browser

put in the username and password

then you can adjust the settings. Go for the easy/quick install option if there is one.

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ivaturk

Got to go now. Back later. Got to do the lawns before it gets to hot. Still summer here in the southern hemisphere. NZ.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ivaturk said:

Do you know what your even doing?

Internet --> Modem --> Router --> PC's/Phones/Tablets/etc

And just follow the instructions, its not meant to work yet.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

If you bought this router new than it should have came with a setup CD or at the very least instructions. Any router I have ever bought comes with a huge fold out easy setup guide that literally walks you through the setup process step by step. If you cannot find that than read on.

If your PC is directly connected to the new router, and not connected using wireless, than you should not even need to login to it in order for the Internet to work.

I would power everything down and disconnect all the ethernet cords.

1. Connect the modem to power and allow it to sync up, this may take 3-5 minutes

2. Connect the modem to the router and allow these two devices to sync with one another..give it 3-5 minutes to be safe. (also, make sure you connecting the modem to the blue connection on the back of the router, according to pics I have seen of that model router the WAN connection is Blue).

3. Connect the PC to the the router using an ethernet cord and give it a few minutes to sync up with the router.

Once this happens and if you did it in this order than the wired internet should be working. If it isn't than you likely changed some settings in the router and may need to factory reset it.

The one thing that may cause problems is if you setup some sort of static IP or something along those lines with your computers..but that isn't likely if your not familier with computer networking.

You need to login to the router in order to setup your wireless network and security.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@ivaturk said:

Ouch.

The router should be the middleman between modem and computer. The Cat 5 cable from the modem should go into the single blue port. The Cat 5 cable from the PC should go into one of the yellow ports. Once you do that, you can follow the rest of the suggestions here.

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ivaturk

@xcazx: No I was given it, and I know for a fact that the person that had it before me has mucked around with it's settings. He told the wife that he had reconfigured it for our computer. I am wondering if that's half the problem with it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GTR12

@ivaturk:

You don't "configure" a router for the computer, the router figures it out.

Reset it with the button and follow the quickstart guide.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@ivaturk said:

The modem connected directly to the computer.

That's your problem right there; DSL or coaxial cable should be connected to your modem, afterwards the ehternet cable should be going from that modem of yours into the blue input on that NP805N router, once completed that - choose between 1-4 yellow ethernet inputs and connect all of your computers to those.

I believe @GTR12 already solved the problem before my post: "Internet --> Modem --> Router --> PC's/Phones/Tablets/etc"

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ivaturk

No the cables are connected up the right way. I can take the new one off and put the old one back on again and everything works fine. It's the new router that's the problem. I think I will push in the reset button and see how I go. One thing that puzzles me is why everyone says to type in 192.168.1.1 when the instructions say to use 192.168.20.1. At the moment no matter which number I type in, it just directs me to Google search.

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ivaturk

@PredatorRules: No that's wrong. I made a mistake when explaining that. Sorry. You guys need to remember I'm just a user not a geek. I just use it and expect it to work and when it doesn't, I, like a lot of people need help to fix it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12

@ivaturk said:

No the cables are connected up the right way. I can take the new one off and put the old one back on again and everything works fine. It's the new router that's the problem. I think I will push in the reset button and see how I go. One thing that puzzles me is why everyone says to type in 192.168.1.1 when the instructions say to use 192.168.20.1. At the moment no matter which number I type in, it just directs me to Google search.

Its USUALLY 192.168.1.1, we cant take into account every possible number it could be. If it says x.x.20.1 on the booklet, use that.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4397 Posts
@ivaturk said:

If you're directed to Google search - can you search for something in Google? Does it actually work? If so, then you're golden, you should be online. If it's not working, you can follow the instructions below to see if that gets you any further.

If you're having issues with it, you should probably start over with it. Here's what you can do first once the new router is plugged in. So, we're starting with the fact that you've removed the old router and plugged in the new one. Hopefully you're using Windows 7, it'll make these instructions easier to follow:

1) click on the start button and in the search bar type in cmd (then press Enter or click on the cmd.exe)

2) in the command prompt window type ipconfig/all (and then press Enter) - you may need to scroll up through the information, you want to find the following info (as you can see in the pic provided):

• DHCP Enabled : Yes (hopefully it says yes)
  • IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.xxx (XXX could be any number from 2 to 254 (generally 1 and 255 are not used here)
  • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (This is the IP address of the router. MOST routers are given this IP address. Some can be different such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1)

If your IPv4 shows 169.192.xxx.xxx - this IP address means that it is not resolving DHCP, so basically the router isn't talking to the computer to give it an IP address to use. IF this is the case, then simply reset the router (find the reset button on the router and hold it in for 30 seconds. Then unplug the power from the router for 30 seconds and then plug the power back in and give the router 90 seconds to restart all the way)

If you see a 192.168.1.xxx IP address, that's good. If this is the case, then continue to step 3.

If the DHCP Enabled shows NO, then you need to enable DHCP. Go to Step 4

3) open your web browser (chrome, IE, firefox....whatever you use) and in the address bar type in the IP address listed for the Default Gateway and press Enter. You should be prompted for a Username and Password (as the pic below). The default Username and password on your router is admin (username) and admin (password). IF these don't work, ask your friend what they are. If he doesn't know, then you need to reset your router (see directions under step 2)

If you can do steps 1 thru 3 and gain access to your router, it should be setup to allow internet connection. Try getting online and see what happens.

4) If you need to enable DHCP, do the following:

• click the Start Button and type in ncpa.cpl (you should see ncpa.cpl in the start menu, click on it or press Enter if it's highlighted)
  • This opens a Network Connections window. Find the one that's named Local Area Connection (this is the default adapter that will be used for your home network). Right click on it and choose Properties.
  • In the Properties window, find the menu option named Internet Protocol Version 4 OR it might be named TCP/IPv4 - click on this one and then click the Properties button
  • This will bring up the TCP/IPv4 properties window. Click on the radio button next to Obtain an IP address automatically AND on the radio button next to Obtain DNS server adress automatically
  • Now click on any OK or Close buttons on the windows you opened
  • Go back to Steps 1-3 and see if you can access your router.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

If you're directed to Google search - can you search for something in Google? Does it actually work? If so, then you're golden, you should be online. If it's not working, you can follow the instructions below to see if that gets you any further.

If you're having issues with it, you should probably start over with it. Here's what you can do first once the new router is plugged in. So, we're starting with the fact that you've removed the old router and plugged in the new one. Hopefully you're using Windows 7, it'll make these instructions easier to follow:

1) click on the start button and in the search bar type in cmd (then press Enter or click on the cmd.exe)

2) in the command prompt window type ipconfig/all (and then press Enter) - you may need to scroll up through the information, you want to find the following info (as you can see in the pic provided):

• DHCP Enabled : Yes (hopefully it says yes)
  • IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.xxx (XXX could be any number from 2 to 254 (generally 1 and 255 are not used here)
  • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (This is the IP address of the router. MOST routers are given this IP address. Some can be different such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1)

If your IPv4 shows 169.192.xxx.xxx - this IP address means that it is not resolving DHCP, so basically the router isn't talking to the computer to give it an IP address to use. IF this is the case, then simply reset the router (find the reset button on the router and hold it in for 30 seconds. Then unplug the power from the router for 30 seconds and then plug the power back in and give the router 90 seconds to restart all the way)

If you see a 192.168.1.xxx IP address, that's good. If this is the case, then continue to step 3.

If the DHCP Enabled shows NO, then you need to enable DHCP. Go to Step 4

3) open your web browser (chrome, IE, firefox....whatever you use) and in the address bar type in the IP address listed for the Default Gateway and press Enter. You should be prompted for a Username and Password (as the pic below). The default Username and password on your router is admin (username) and admin (password). IF these don't work, ask your friend what they are. If he doesn't know, then you need to reset your router (see directions under step 2)

If you can do steps 1 thru 3 and gain access to your router, it should be setup to allow internet connection. Try getting online and see what happens.

4) If you need to enable DHCP, do the following:

• click the Start Button and type in ncpa.cpl (you should see ncpa.cpl in the start menu, click on it or press Enter if it's highlighted)
  • This opens a Network Connections window. Find the one that's named Local Area Connection (this is the default adapter that will be used for your home network). Right click on it and choose Properties.
  • In the Properties window, find the menu option named Internet Protocol Version 4 OR it might be named TCP/IPv4 - click on this one and then click the Properties button
  • This will bring up the TCP/IPv4 properties window. Click on the radio button next to Obtain an IP address automatically AND on the radio button next to Obtain DNS server adress automatically
  • Now click on any OK or Close buttons on the windows you opened
  • Go back to Steps 1-3 and see if you can access your router.

+1 to this post as it's the first one that has accurate information on how to access your router. Default gateway is always your router so finding the IP of the router never needs to be a guessing game. The only thing I would add to this is when accessing your router by IP address, depending on the browser it will help to add "http://" prior to the IP address, so it reads:

http://192.168.20.1

When you preface the IP with the access protocol, it tells the browser that what you are typing into the address bar is -not- something that you want to potentially search for.

Also, the default username and password will vary by manufacturer (and possibly model). In this case, the correct combination is "admin" and "admin".

-Byshop

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ivaturk

@neatfeatguy: Hi. I haven't tried to put the new router back on yet. Google only comes up when I type in those numbers with the old router that gets the internet. I just typed them in to see what happened. Don't laugh but I'm still using XP on my old 11 year old dell 8300, and I can still play my games on it. I'm playing Dawn of War 11 at the moment, with the settings on low mind you. I know I need a new one, and I'm going to get one. The computer shop said he would make one up for me using an nvidia card (not the latest) using windows 7, for around a grand. For some reason you can't use windows 8. I can't wait, my old AGP mother board can't last forever, but it has lasted. Anyway thanks for all your help, I will have another go with the router in the weekend.

See ya

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4397 Posts

@ivaturk said:

@neatfeatguy: Hi. I haven't tried to put the new router back on yet. Google only comes up when I type in those numbers with the old router that gets the internet. I just typed them in to see what happened. Don't laugh but I'm still using XP on my old 11 year old dell 8300, and I can still play my games on it. I'm playing Dawn of War 11 at the moment, with the settings on low mind you. I know I need a new one, and I'm going to get one. The computer shop said he would make one up for me using an nvidia card (not the latest) using windows 7, for around a grand. For some reason you can't use windows 8. I can't wait, my old AGP mother board can't last forever, but it has lasted. Anyway thanks for all your help, I will have another go with the router in the weekend.

See ya

You can still follow the steps I outlined in XP, when you need to access the command prompt or use the ncpa.cpl shortcut commands, you'll have to click on the Start Button, then choose the "Run..." option in the start menu. In there you can type in cmd and press Enter to open a command prompt window or you can type in ncpa.cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR12

Spending a $1000 NZD on a new PC without the latest hardware, and you cant use W8.. lol, your going to get ripped off big time.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xCaZx

@Byshop: To be fair, there is little reason to get that in-depth with the instructions over these forums. If he cannot google search how to setup his router and make it work than he is in over his head. Explaining how to check your IP and locate the gateway so that he can log in to his router is clearly beyond his experience level.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

@xcazx said:

@Byshop: To be fair, there is little reason to get that in-depth with the instructions over these forums. If he cannot google search how to setup his router and make it work than he is in over his head. Explaining how to check your IP and locate the gateway so that he can log in to his router is clearly beyond his experience level.

That's why you provide step by step instructions. Just because it's something the poster doesn't know how to do, that doesn't mean he cannot be helped. Several people in this thread took shots in the dark rather than providing the instructions on how to find out what the correct IP address was when it's actually very easy to do (provided you know how).

-Byshop

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xCaZx

@Byshop:

@xcazx said:

That's why you provide step by step instructions. Just because it's something the poster doesn't know how to do, that doesn't mean he cannot be helped. Several people in this thread took shots in the dark rather than providing the instructions on how to find out what the correct IP address was when it's actually very easy to do (provided you know how).

-Byshop

The default gateway for many routers is 192.168.0.1 so that isn't really taking a shot in the dark.

Pulling up CMD and entering ipconfig is not a hard task to accomplish, however, neither is setting up a router. As I mentioned above the worst case scenario is he should simply need to hard reset the router and connect everything in the proper order. The only thing he will need to login to the router for is to setup the wireless connection.

Does using CMD and controls like "ipconfig" and "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" help? Sure, but not if it simply makes the entire process all the more complicated for someone unfamiliar with these commands or CMD.

Heck, he can probably go on over to the router manufacturers website and download the setup file. The point is he seems to be in over his head. I am not trying to be a jerk here, that is just how it is, and its why people make a living helping people just like this guy.

Source: Cable Tech for 5.5 years.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Just reset the router using the reset button. This will restore it back to factory settings.

NP805N Default Settings

The following tables list the default settings for the NP805N.LAN (MANAGEMENT)

Static IP Address: 192.168.20.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.20.1

NP805N WEB INTERFACE ACCESS

Username: admin

Password: admin

If you can not access the routers IP (192.168.20.1). Go down to the right hand side of your computer where the time is. Look for your computer network icon and right click it, then select "Open Network and Sharing Center". Once there go to "Change Adapter Settings". The next window should list all your internet capable LAN and Wifi adapters. Select the one that you are using, then right click and select "Properties".

Once in your adapter properties, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4)" and then click "Properties". On the "General" tab change the setting "Obtain an IP address automatically" to "Use the following IP address".

You want to type the following in each space.

IP Address 192.168.20.2

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Leave the rest blank. Click "Ok" and your adapter should now be able to connect to your router's setup page.

If this still did not work, make sure you are the only device connected. If you are unsure, use the IP address of 192.168.20.15.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

@xcazx said:

@Byshop:

The default gateway for many routers is 192.168.0.1 so that isn't really taking a shot in the dark.

Pulling up CMD and entering ipconfig is not a hard task to accomplish, however, neither is setting up a router. As I mentioned above the worst case scenario is he should simply need to hard reset the router and connect everything in the proper order. The only thing he will need to login to the router for is to setup the wireless connection.

Does using CMD and controls like "ipconfig" and "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" help? Sure, but not if it simply makes the entire process all the more complicated for someone unfamiliar with these commands or CMD.

Heck, he can probably go on over to the router manufacturers website and download the setup file. The point is he seems to be in over his head. I am not trying to be a jerk here, that is just how it is, and its why people make a living helping people just like this guy.

Source: Cable Tech for 5.5 years.

192.168.0.1 -or- 192.168.1.1 are pretty common, yes. But why guess when it's the easiest thing in the world to simply find the correct answer?

"Does using CMD and controls like "ipconfig" and "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" help? Sure"

No, that wouldn't help in this or most cases.

Possible instruction that could have been provided that pretty much anyone can follow regardless of skill level:

1) Press "Windows Key" + R

2) Cut and paste the following text into the "Run" box and click "OK":

cmd /k ipconfig /all | findstr "Gateway"

3) A window will pop up with output that looks something like what you see below. Cut and paste the number after the colon (highlighted in bold in this example) into the address bar of your browser and press Enter. You may close the pop up window after you have put the IP address of the Gateway into your browser.

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.1

Providing step by step instruction like this is exactly what a Tier 1 support group is for, based on scripted run books. Hell, in a Tier 1 support org the -technician- usually barely knows how to use a command line, much less the user. If the person on the other end is capable of following directions, they don't need to know or understand the commands they are running.

Or if you really think that three step process is too difficult for a user to follow, anyone in this thread could have just googled it themselves. Googling for NP805N ip address yeilds the correct answer in the first hit (which is how I knew the previous poster was correct).

There will always be some unknowns when you're trying to support someone remotely, but the IP address of a router that the client machine has already pulled an IP address from over DHCP isn't one of them. There is no reason to guess the value of something that can be easily obtained through simple instruction or a quick google search.

My post was not intended to insult anyone. My goal was to direct the OP to the post that was most likely to help him as some of the previous instruction that had been provided was incorrect.

Source: Support/Lead Technician - 8 years
Corporate IT Consultant specializing in IT Operations - 14 years

Thanks.

-Byshop

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xCaZx

@Byshop: Perhaps I should clarify for you. I was a field technician for 5.5 years and installed thousands of modems and hundreds routers. I was not a tier 1 phone support..I was physically doing the work.

CMD --- ipconfig ---ipconfig/release --- ipconfig/renew

All of the following are routinely used by installation and service techs in the field. Its probably the most common way to get the computer to talk with the newly installed equipment. A simple "ipconfig" command will show you the gateway, nothing else is necessary.

Please, feel free to continue to provide him with step by step instructions, hopefully he is able to get it working. I was simply pointing out that if he isn't getting it by now than I do not see much changing.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Byshop  Moderator

@xcazx said:

@Byshop: Perhaps I should clarify for you. I was a field technician for 5.5 years and installed thousands of modems and hundreds routers. I was not a tier 1 phone support..I was physically doing the work.

CMD --- ipconfig ---ipconfig/release --- ipconfig/renew

All of the following are routinely used by installation and service techs in the field. Its probably the most common way to get the computer to talk with the newly installed equipment. A simple "ipconfig" command will show you the gateway, nothing else is necessary.

Please, feel free to continue to provide him with step by step instructions, hopefully he is able to get it working. I was simply pointing out that if he isn't getting it by now than I do not see much changing.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but assuming that the end user being supported is hopeless because they don't know enough obviously isn't a very helpful attitude. A good support technician should be able to walk a complete novice through something as simple as configuring a router.

-Byshop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@xcazx said:

I work for ISP company, I do help people to configure for their 1st time their router or modem, if he does not get it throught the forum in words, maybe he should:

A) Get someone that does know abit of computers (familiy or a friend)

B) Get a private technichian to sort it out for small money of course

C) Call his own ISP company to try to configure it throught the phone

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xCaZx

@PredatorRules: This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying it to simply be negative, although it may have came off that way.

All I was saying is that there was some good posts made attempting to walk him through it and that if he was still having trouble than it may be time to try another alternate method.

My problem with Byshops post was that he made it seem like everyone who had posted prior to the one he quoted had just been randomly guessing, which wasn't true at all. I am guessing several people, like myself, chose not to make their instructions overly complicated.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Byshop  Moderator

@xcazx said:

@PredatorRules: This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying it to simply be negative, although it may have came off that way.

All I was saying is that there was some good posts made attempting to walk him through it and that if he was still having trouble than it may be time to try another alternate method.

My problem with Byshops post was that he made it seem like everyone who had posted prior to the one he quoted had just been randomly guessing, which wasn't true at all. I am guessing several people, like myself, chose not to make their instructions overly complicated.

Anyone who suggested that the router was at an IP address other than 192.168.20.1 -was- guessing, even though all the information necessary to provide the correct IP address had already been provided by the op. I appreciate that they were trying to help, but they provided the wrong answer and/or didn't know how to find the correct one. I pointed to op to the post that was the most accurate and specific.

-Byshop

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ivaturk

Well here's where I'm at. I reset the new one, installed google chrome and got the, connecting the router to the internet set up wizard up. first step up ok. second step ok. 3rd step ok. I think it's the fourth that's the problem. It says select which Ethernet WAN type you would like to connect to. Select one. DHCP, static IP, PPPoE, PPTT or L2TP. I don't know what one I have, so I chose the first one. If you clicked on the second one static IP, 4 boxes popped up that needed to be filled in, and I didn't know what to put in them, so I stuck with the first one and continued with the rest of the set up, and at the end clicked on apply settings. It all seemed to be going ok, telling me that it was all connected up. But when I tried to get the internet up, I just got the same old message saying no connection. So it was back to the old router again, and that's where I'm at. I'm slowly getting there. One day.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GTR12

@ivaturk:

Umm when it was all setup, did you restart the modem? Ie. turn it off for 30 secs and turn it back on.

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ivaturk

@GTR12: Yes I shut it all down and then fired it up again, but It didn't make any difference. It says it's connected but when you bring up the internet or email it just says the same old thing, no connection. Is the DHCP I chose for step four the right one. I'm trying to get through to my internet provider to see what is the right thing to do with that box. How come the old one is no problems ? The only reason that I want the new one is because it's a lot faster. New one 300mbps old one 56mbps. I'm beginning to think that it's not worth the bother.

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ivaturk

I just got through to the Vodafone technician, and he says that I needed to choose the other box, Static IP not Dynamic IP, and he gave me a list of numbers that I need to type in when all the empty boxes come up after I click on it. He said that these numbers for the new router will override the numbers for the old router, enabling me to be connected to the new one. I'm getting there.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GTR12

@ivaturk said:

@GTR12: Yes I shut it all down and then fired it up again, but It didn't make any difference. It says it's connected but when you bring up the internet or email it just says the same old thing, no connection. Is the DHCP I chose for step four the right one. I'm trying to get through to my internet provider to see what is the right thing to do with that box. How come the old one is no problems ? The only reason that I want the new one is because it's a lot faster. New one 300mbps old one 56mbps. I'm beginning to think that it's not worth the bother.

DHCP was the correct thing, not sure why the techie is saying you need to set it to static.

It must be a NZ Vodafone thing, no-one in Australia uses Vodafail (yes the typo is intended), anyway do as he says.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
@GTR12 said:

@ivaturk said:

DHCP was the correct thing, not sure why the techie is saying you need to set it to static.

It must be a NZ Vodafone thing, no-one in Australia uses Vodafail (yes the typo is intended), anyway do as he says.

In my country you either chose DHCP or PPPoE; static and dynamic are for security cameras.

As far as I know L2TP and static are blocked by the greather speeds to prevent connection issues. (12-30Mbs)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Byshop  Moderator

@GTR12 said:

@ivaturk said:

It's entirely dependent on the ISP, so if the ISP told him to use a static then that is likely the correct answer. Most use DHCP because it's simpler to set up and easier to manage. I have Comcast Business class internet so it's managed through static external IP address assignments (that way I can choose which external IP goes to what device).

To the op: It sounds like you pretty much have it going now. Feel free to post back if you have any more questions or run into any more problems.

-Byshop

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127491 Posts

@ivaturk said:

See ya

You got to type those numbers with the new router connected, not the old one.

Edit: I see the problem has been fixed. Great work!

ivaturk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ivaturk

Just thought I'd let you guys know how I went. After typing in all the static IP address numbers, I was up and going with the internet. Only one problem the WIFI wasn't going for the dragons IPad. So I had to find out the password for it and type it into the Ipad, and now that's going as well. It's been a bit of a hassle for me to get all this going, but I got there in the end.

Thanks you guys for all you help.

Ivan

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GTR12

@ivaturk said:

Just thought I'd let you guys know how I went. After typing in all the static IP address numbers, I was up and going with the internet. Only one problem the WIFI wasn't going for the dragons IPad. So I had to find out the password for it and type it into the Ipad, and now that's going as well. It's been a bit of a hassle for me to get all this going, but I got there in the end.

Thanks you guys for all you help.

Ivan

Must be something concerning all your sheep there, bahhhhh.

Anyway, now its easy for next time.