Rockstar Social Club and GTA IV online...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MickaelJulliard (905 posts) -

So a friend and I both have GTA IV and we decided to try and play online together... WHAT THE ACTUAL FUDGE. I don't normally complain about DRM problems because they never seem to effect me but this is stupid... When I try to log into Social Club with the application it just says that it's theres an error but I can log into the website just fine.. Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Yeah the social club can be very iffy in GTA online, though it works well with Max Payne 3 and otherwise signs me in half the time I get on GTA IV.

#3 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

I thought GTA 4 was patched by Rockstar to play without social club.

#4 Posted by bonafidetk (3833 posts) -

GTA 4 will install social club and then uninstall it when you download the GTA 4 patches from GFWL. Stupid I know. The need for social club is removed from GTA 4 IIRC.

#5 Posted by donalbane (16369 posts) -
There are uber-complex install instructions on the Rockstar website. Basically, you install GFWL, then the game, then you install the 1.7 patch, then you are supposed to be OK. It never worked for me, though. And get this... if you aren't able to get it to work and have to uninstall it, the Rockstar site specifically states you will need to run a registry cleaner (like CCleaner) to fix the damage the installation has done to your registry. So yeah... worst install I've ever seen. If I didn't get the game for $5 on Amazon, I'd be pissed. As it stands, I won't be buying anymore Rockstar games on PC.
#6 Posted by kozzy1234 (35279 posts) -

There are uber-complex install instructions on the Rockstar website. Basically, you install GFWL, then the game, then you install the 1.7 patch, then you are supposed to be OK. It never worked for me, though. And get this... if you aren't able to get it to work and have to uninstall it, the Rockstar site specifically states you will need to run a registry cleaner (like CCleaner) to fix the damage the installation has done to your registry. So yeah... worst install I've ever seen. If I didn't get the game for $5 on Amazon, I'd be pissed. As it stands, I won't be buying anymore Rockstar games on PC. donalbane

Max Payne 3 is flawless on PC by Rockstar. Had no crashes, no slowdowns and no issues signing into online.

I was def not a fan of GTA IV though, but Rockstar did awesome job on PC MP3 (and RDR on consoles), so I forgive them for GTA IV :P

#7 Posted by donalbane (16369 posts) -

[QUOTE="donalbane"]There are uber-complex install instructions on the Rockstar website. Basically, you install GFWL, then the game, then you install the 1.7 patch, then you are supposed to be OK. It never worked for me, though. And get this... if you aren't able to get it to work and have to uninstall it, the Rockstar site specifically states you will need to run a registry cleaner (like CCleaner) to fix the damage the installation has done to your registry. So yeah... worst install I've ever seen. If I didn't get the game for $5 on Amazon, I'd be pissed. As it stands, I won't be buying anymore Rockstar games on PC. kozzy1234

Max Payne 3 is flawless on PC by Rockstar. Had no crashes, no slowdowns and no issues signing into online.

I was def not a fan of GTA IV though, but Rockstar did awesome job on PC MP3 (and RDR on consoles), so I forgive them for GTA IV :P

For what it's worth, I understand that Steam users enjoy a lot less of a hassle regarding GTA IV as Steam gives you the patched version. I foolishly picked it up on an Amazon Dowload sale, and boy... it sucks. I gave up after the 10th email to their support. It even crashed my computer on install and went to a blue screen of death at one point. Worst... install... evar.
#8 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Well that's a shame, I tried getting into BoGT multiplayer last night but Social Club wasn't working so I gave up. If it does work without it, then I'm an idiot for not trying.

#9 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

Same story for me. I try to get into the multiplayer for either Lost/Ballad and it's a whole issue with R* Social. It says I'm not logged in when I can CLEARLY log into the website and it just won't let me do it when I start up the game. Still haven't gotten it to work.

#10 Posted by KHAndAnime (14252 posts) -
Good luck playing GTA 4 online with a friend...last time I checked you can't join as a party, nor can you teamswitch in the middle of sessions (which can be lengthy).
#11 Posted by ProjectPat187 (1984 posts) -

[QUOTE="donalbane"]There are uber-complex install instructions on the Rockstar website. Basically, you install GFWL, then the game, then you install the 1.7 patch, then you are supposed to be OK. It never worked for me, though. And get this... if you aren't able to get it to work and have to uninstall it, the Rockstar site specifically states you will need to run a registry cleaner (like CCleaner) to fix the damage the installation has done to your registry. So yeah... worst install I've ever seen. If I didn't get the game for $5 on Amazon, I'd be pissed. As it stands, I won't be buying anymore Rockstar games on PC. kozzy1234

Rockstar did a absolute horrible job on the PC version of MP3, so many people had many different problems just trying to get the game to install, run etc., now when they FINALLY got the game to install and load, then it ran smooth well for me atleast. after the MP3 horror I will never buy another Rockstar PC game again hell or the console version, if I can't play the superior version of the game why play it at all.
#12 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3550 posts) -

GTA 4 will install social club and then uninstall it when you download the GTA 4 patches from GFWL. Stupid I know. The need for social club is removed from GTA 4 IIRC.

bonafidetk
What about the Steam version? I have Episodes from Liberty City - I uninstalled the game because it wouldnt log in at some point and I didnt know how to fix it. Is there a work around?