This topic is locked from further discussion.

metroid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 metroid_mario
Member since 2005 • 1913 Posts

Which game would better between rift and wow? only thing i notice rift has better graphic, its a new game, not sure how big is the cummunity compare to wow.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
...how is this even a fair question?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
...how is this even a fair question? lawlessx
I was calmly waiting for the first person to actually create a thread called "Rift vs WoW".....
metroid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metroid_mario
Member since 2005 • 1913 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]...how is this even a fair question? FelipeInside
I was calmly waiting for the first person to actually create a thread called "Rift vs WoW".....

I'm the first person then? :o

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

After playing them both, I would say wow with out a doubt. The instances, and they way they feel to tank dps, is wrong. I cant explain it but I dont get the same satisfaction running them, tanking feels wrong somehow, and dps can get annoying if your target moves and you are facing the wrong way, it wont attack, and when a mob comes for some reason due to art style or something it is hard to see what is going, I find myself tabbing like crazy trying tto get a target close to me to hit, its hard to explain just feels off. They are working on the game and listining to player feed back, unlike SOE and DCUO the developers actually seem to be trying really hard to please the players. I am enjoying it ok, but to me wow is alot betetr, atleast what i remember of it, stopped playing over a year ago and will never go back.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

WoW is six years old. It probably has the most conent of any mmo, but I dont play EQ so thats my biased opinion. Rift is a month old game that can in no way compete in terms of content. So its an unfair comparison.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

This is how it goes for me

PVP: Rift>WoW

PvE: WoW>Rift

Classes: Rift>WoW

Crafting: WoW>Rift

Community: Rift=WoW, for now

For me personally i hate pve and combined with the class complexity that rift has compared to WoW i like rift more. WoW has better social though which alot of people who are playing mmos is one of the main things.

neo_violence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 neo_violence
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Rift is killing itself from what I hear. People are getting to max level and they have nothing to do. There's always stuff to do in WoW, so they'll probably go back to that.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Rift is killing itself from what I hear. People are getting to max level and they have nothing to do. There's always stuff to do in WoW, so they'll probably go back to that.

neo_violence
Aww, that's crucial.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
[QUOTE="neo_violence"]

Crimsader
Aww, that's crucial.

This is what I dont understand, for me in wow there was nothing to do but raid and grind heroics, make alts, rift seems to have the same end game as wow, but I am not maxx level and have not experianced it, Wow to me had nothing to do at maxx level as well except what is listed above,,
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Crimsader"][QUOTE="neo_violence"]

Advid-Gamer

Aww, that's crucial.

This is what I dont understand, for me in wow there was nothing to do but raid and grind heroics, make alts, rift seems to have the same end game as wow, but I am not maxx level and have not experianced it, Wow to me had nothing to do at maxx level as well except what is listed above,,

Exactly. there are 9 heroics and soon to be 2 raids ( excluding world raids ) ... how is that no content? in addition to that a PvP ladder to climb, achievements ect. there is an endgame, whatever this person heard is wrong.

ebonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 ebonized
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Crimsader"][QUOTE="neo_violence"]

Advid-Gamer

Aww, that's crucial.

But see, that's the problem. Rift end game is pretty much a carbon copy of WoW end game - you'll be doing, LITERALLY, those exact same things. Except with less depth and content. :roll:

ebonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 ebonized
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="Crimsader"] Aww, that's crucial.Birdy09

Exactly. there are 9 heroics and soon to be 2 raids ( excluding world raids ) ... how is that no content? in addition to that a PvP ladder to climb, achievements ect. there is an endgame, whatever this person heard is wrong.

It's not that there's no content. But the leveling dungeons are the end-game experts you do - they're almost exactly the same. So all you're doing at 50 is grinding the same dungeons you leveled with over and over. And there's nothing else worth doing. Rifts are pointless because the rewards are, same for PVP and warfronts (which are poorly designed and will never be remotely balanced due to the nature of the class system).

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#15 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

neo_violence

What MMO hasn't fallen into this problem in recent years? You have people who race to the max level as fast as possible then whine because they are bored. Saying that, MMO's should've adjusted to this by now. I've been playing since day 1 and still do not have a max level, I stop to smell the roses once in a while. All of you elitists who have to be max level in 2 days ruin it for yourselves. MMO's have always been more about the journey than the destination, WOW just brainwashed you all into thinking end game pve was important.

But anyway...Rift vs. WoW? Almost certainly a troll thread. Nothing vs. WoW is practical as long as 10 billion people are playing it.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] This is what I dont understand, for me in wow there was nothing to do but raid and grind heroics, make alts, rift seems to have the same end game as wow, but I am not maxx level and have not experianced it, Wow to me had nothing to do at maxx level as well except what is listed above,,ebonized

It's not that there's no content. But the leveling dungeons are the end-game experts you do - they're almost exactly the same. So all you're doing at 50 is grinding the same dungeons you leveled with over and over. And there's nothing else worth doing. Rifts are pointless because the rewards are, same for PVP and warfronts (which are poorly designed and will never be remotely balanced due to the nature of the class system).

Theyre exactly the same in some cases with double the bosses. WoW is the same (minus double the bosses). I didnt level in the dungeons because it ruins the leveling experiance and I knew it would. Rifts and PvP rewards is correct, but to complain about balance in an mmo is pointless, that and im assuming by gear and balance your refering to one on one, which again is pointless.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

Both games are terrible unless you are leet and kill content quick and don't raid two times per week. Yeah like that happens much. Most guilds do raid 2 times or more no matter what. Also mmorpgs are more fun played with family and real life friends so unless you have some of that in the game I don't see how it can be as fun. WoW is currently dead to me and I am trying to unload my account for reasons touched on above.

DeViLzzz

What a load of bollocks.

I never raided in WoW and had heaps of fun. RAID isn't the only thing available in an MMO you know...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I'd say rift over WoW. Rift is a blast to play, and even at max level you have great pvp play, rift events and Trion is hosting the first World Event this weekend for a change of pace for the players. They are constantly adding new content and taking the advice of other players. Sure it doesn't have as much contentas WoW, after all it's only 1 month old, but the rate at which it is growing and evolving it's set to be a phenomenal game in the long run.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I have 2 lvl 50s (one cleric and one rogue) in Rift and have raided Greenscale though, my guild has not finish it yet. I also played enough pvp to get to rank 4.

Here is what is good about Rift:

PVE lvl 1-49 is a lot of fun. Some people don't like this and just try to lvl as fast as they can. I actually like to take my time and see everything. The quests from 1-49 are very well written and are very fun.

PVE lving rift > wow

Now for rifts. Rifts are a great idea. As for someone saying Rifts rewards are the same as pvp, they have no idea what they are talking about. At lvl 50 and after doing Expert instances to aquire certain items you will be able to open Raid Rifts. These are very challenging rifts that give you stones that you can trade in with vendors for shard items. These items greatly boost your stats and not are not armor. Rift items are completely different from PVP gear. PVP gear is this game has a stat called valor which reduces damage from other players. Its useless in PVE. In PVE you need hit. There are very few runes that can increase hit. So basically you will need to have mostly PVE gear to do Raids and Raid Rifts.

Now if you asking what if my class bought CC to the group instead of top DPS. I would let you know now that CC is practically useless in this game. You will only need it if your group is mostly in blues and doing t1s for the first time. Maybe a day or two. After that once the group gets a bit of gear CC is only useful in maybe one or 2 fights. DPS is much more important as some bosses will be need to be beaten in certain amount of time. Casting classes basically never run out of mana in this game so there is little down time.

Wow has no rifts so Rift wins again.

Now for the bad. Their first major patch that came out recently has caused a lot more problems than it fixed with class balancing.

Rift allows you to have 6 souls to customize your character to make it just about anyway you want. Now this seems like a good idea at first but, there are major problems with this design. First you will find at lvl 50 only about 3-4 builds out of all the possible combinations are actually viable. Some of your souls will also be completely useless at end game.

Most will not notice this as lvling from 1-50. This is because lvling is extremely easy and simply requires you rolling your face across the keyboard with any class. When you start doing expert instances and later raids, you will see how badly some of the souls are designed. Rogue class took a heavy nerf from the first patch. After getting parses back from the top guilds running Raids certain classes such as rogue are at the very bottom of the DPS chart even though 4 out of their 6 souls are supposely DPS souls. They get beaten by warriors in melee and very very badly by mages in range. Markman is probably the worst DPS class for PVE. Problem is most people just don't know. They never parse their class. This leads to groups failing in expert instances and rogues getting a bad name if didn't build their souls right to be able to do ok amounts of DPS.

Warriors are best at melee but, the game's end bosses right now are very hard for a melee class. If you make one wrong move you will get one shoted by the boss (This is not aggro related). Also many bosses throw out AOEs requiring the melee class to run out of range unable to do dps. What happens is at end game most people just want Mages for DPS because they do good damage and are range. I see it on my server all the time. People calling out for groups saying, "Looking for one more DPS (mage preferred no rogues).

PVP balancing.

Before the recent major patch the balancing had problems. Certain classes could do extreme amounts of burst such as the saboteur soul in the rogue class and champion warrior class. They could hit for around 3k-4k damage at once when most classes had less than 5K hps as a fresh lvl 50 in blues. Making it very hard to heal. So the patch comes out and both the warrior and rogue souls get nerf. This is all fine except the sab class was the rogue's best dps soul in PVE. Though even then it wasn't at the very top of the DPS chart it was still decent. After the nerf, rogues fell to the very bottom. Warriors also took a hit but, they had other souls buff so that they are still viable in PVE and PVP.

Now after all the complaints by people in the forums about the rogue and warrior classes doing too much burst pre patch in pvp you would think that the devs are smart enough not to make the same mistake. Well, in the very same patch a pyro mage has been buff to be able to hit someone for around 3k-4k damage. But, that's not all, they also get a buff where they can't be stun while standing on a circle that has no cooldown. They also had all their armor buff as well as having a spell that reduces 40% of incoming damage. So yeah... things like that makes you kind of loose hope for the devs with balancing. Same group that did balacing in Warhammer which was absolutely terrible.

PVP balancing in an MMO like this is probably next to impossible but, you can at least have a rock, paper, scissor system where every class will at least have a counter to it. Rift soul system almost makes that impossible as every class has many souls that give them mutliple roles such as healing, dps and tanking. This makes pvp balacing in this game much harder. I just don't see how they can do it without always having one spec that will beat all the other classes.

So in short if you have played wow and have gotten tired of it go ahead and get Rift. From 1-50 Rift is a lot of fun. You can also pick one of the stronger classes to dominiate PVP, at least till it gets nerf.

If you haven't played either then I would suggest you get wow. It's just been out longer and has much more content. The balancing is also better though I wouldn't exactly call wow a balance game with it's classes either.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
I'd say rift over WoW. Rift is a blast to play, and even at max level you have great pvp play, rift events and Trion is hosting the first World Event this weekend for a change of pace for the players. They are constantly adding new content and taking the advice of other players. Sure it doesn't have as much contentas WoW, after all it's only 1 month old, but the rate at which it is growing and evolving it's set to be a phenomenal game in the long run. ferrari2001
They all start out like that mate.... but time will tell....
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Birdy09
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I'd say rift over WoW. Rift is a blast to play, and even at max level you have great pvp play, rift events and Trion is hosting the first World Event this weekend for a change of pace for the players. They are constantly adding new content and taking the advice of other players. Sure it doesn't have as much contentas WoW, after all it's only 1 month old, but the rate at which it is growing and evolving it's set to be a phenomenal game in the long run. FelipeInside

Your right, but this is by far the best release content wise it already has as much as Catacalysm (though tbh catacalysm leveling is more fun due to the changes). as far as dungeons, reputations/factions, PvP goes though Rift has more. another raid coming next week aswell. I wouldnt say its better than WoW, its an alternative which has the potential to be better down the road. but that potential is like you said, told by time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I'd say rift over WoW. Rift is a blast to play, and even at max level you have great pvp play, rift events and Trion is hosting the first World Event this weekend for a change of pace for the players. They are constantly adding new content and taking the advice of other players. Sure it doesn't have as much contentas WoW, after all it's only 1 month old, but the rate at which it is growing and evolving it's set to be a phenomenal game in the long run. Birdy09

Your right, but this is by far the best release content wise it already has as much as Catacalysm (though tbh catacalysm leveling is more fun due to the changes). as far as dungeons, reputations/factions, PvP goes though Rift has more. another raid coming next week aswell. I wouldnt say its better than WoW, its an alternative which has the potential to be better down the road. but that potential is like you said, told by time.

I think it is a ok game, but for some reason It dosent drive me, I find it boring for some reason, only being able to play for a hr or so at a time, not really caring about leveling like I usually do in a mmo. I hated it, then started to like it, now am back to not really liking it, it is missing something. Honestly DCUO was alot more fun for me.