Revolutionary CPU design (transparent threading)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts
  • http://wccftech.com/amd-invest-cpu-i...soft-machines/
  • http://semiaccurate.com/2014/10/23/s...-architecture/
  • http://www.kitguru.net/components/cp...e-improvement/
  • http://techreport.com/news/27259/cpu...c-architecture

VISC stands for Virtualized Instruction Set Computing and utilizes a new type of front bus which shuttles instructions in groups ("threads") to virtual cores which can be beefed up or down depending on workload. A virtual core can apportion resources from multiple real cores.

A startup company by the name of Soft Machines has just exited its “stealth” phase and gone public for the first time at the Linley Processor Conference. Which many startups go through to ensure that their ideas are protected and their principal goals are met before they go public.

“The VISC architecture achieves 3-4 times more instructions per cycle (IPC), resulting in 2-4 times higher performance per watt on single- and multi-threaded applications. Moreover, VISC uses a light-weight “virtual software layer” that makes VISC architecture applicable to existing as well as new software ecosystems.” The company claimed in its press release.

Here is what the ex-Intel head honcho has to say:

CPU scaling was declared dead when the power wall forced CISC- and RISC-based designs into multi-core implementations that require unrealistically complex multi-threading of sequential applications. The VISC architecture solves this problem ‘under the hood’ by running virtual hardware threads on virtual cores that far exceed the efficiency of software multi-threading.

Here's some more analysis:

The technology works by allowing multiple CPU cores to work on a single software thread. Something that was previously thought impossible. The company didn’t go into the specifics of how this is achieved but they state that it’s compatible with any ISA (Instruction Set Architecture). Meaning we could very well see this technology adopted by Samsung and AMD in ARM and x86 CPU architectures.

This is obviously important because it enables performance gains in single threaded applications when using multi-core CPUs. We no longer have to be as reliant on the software to be smart enough to fully utilize a multi-core CPU. And that’s indeed an exciting prospect to ponder upon if only briefly.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Ok and?

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MK-Professor

@GTR12 said:

Ok and?

Massive performance boost on applications that only use one thread?

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#6 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

nice idea but i doubt it works properly. if it did intel would have already done it

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

interesting. itll be interesting to see what kind of overhead it introduces and, of course, if it actually works.

but, from a software development standpoint, if developers only had to deal with "the processor" rather than the intricate dance of effective milti threaded development then that would be nice for certain applications. if existing applications can also benefit then all the better.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Yeah I read it too, a couple of days ago, but since its far from being a consumer product I didn't posted it.

The idea is nice. Its the opposite of HT.

Imagine that instead of using lets say 1 core for 2 threads, its using 2 cores in one thread :).

This will make the devs lazy again so they will not have to build a game for multiple threads :D.

Oh wait, they are already lazy...

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@Coseniath said:

This will make the devs lazy again so they will not have to build a game for multiple threads :D.

Oh wait, they are already lazy...

the sad realization.....

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@MK-Professor said:

@GTR12 said:

Ok and?

Kinda pointless, they need to focus on an easy way to split applications over 2+ cores without the devs having to do anything, that'll be impressive.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

If there is a way to force this feature on older programs that are only single threaded then it be great

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MK-Professor

@GTR12 said:

@MK-Professor said:

@GTR12 said:

Ok and?

Kinda pointless, they need to focus on an easy way to split applications over 2+ cores without the devs having to do anything, that'll be impressive.

That is exactly what this technology is trying to do (devs only have to program for one thread like the old times, well some lazy devs are still doing it today LOL), so yeah if they succeed will be impressive!

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@MK-Professor said:

@GTR12 said:

@MK-Professor said:

@GTR12 said:

Ok and?

That is exactly what this technology is trying to do (devs only have to program for one thread like the old times, well some lazy devs are still doing it today LOL), so yeah if they succeed will be impressive!

As I understood it, it's about effective thread utilization in general. Not just the opposite of Hyperthreading but better threading.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Lazy devs?

I'm assuming none of you have actually developed multi-threaded software have you?

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

It's kind of like what the i7 cores do but more effective.

Also grabbed this interesting part of the article... I don't see Intel buying into this.

"Soft Machines has no plans to produce VISC processors itself, but it intends to license technology to those, who can use it.

Soft Machines was established around 2007 and since then has got $125 million from various companies and organizations, including AMD, GlobalFoundries, Samsung as well as govern-ment investment funds from Abu Dhabi (Mubadala), Russia (Rusnano and RVC), and Saudi Arabia (KACST and Taqnia). Sanjay Jha, chief executive officer of GlobalFoundries, is the chairman of Soft Machines. At present Soft Machines has more than 250 employees and 75+ issued patents."

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@kraken2109 said:

Lazy devs?

I'm assuming none of you have actually developed multi-threaded software have you?

I doubt they've done anything reasonably difficult much less something as complicated as software/video game development. The only people who can say crap like that with a straight face are either children or know-nothing-do-nothing mouth breathers.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MK-Professor

If they succeed no doubt that we are going to see cpu's at 1GHz with 50-100 cores, and at the same time all applications will only require to be single threaded like the old times in order to utilize the cpu 100%.