Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD edition out now on PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

If you haven't played this game yet for whatever reason, you would be doing yourself a service to play it right now. The definitive version of one of the greatest games of all time has just been released on Steam. I have played around with it for about an hour now and the port gets a big thumbs up if you ask me.

The game is now in 1080p HD, has new HD textures, runs at 60 FPS, and has fantastic and crisp sound. The so called HD port to the 360 and PS3 was awful all around. It had lousy ass textures, bad framerate, and the sound was just awful and muddy. This is the HD port that fans have been waiting for.

Now, if you want to play this game. I would still reccomend playing with a controller. The new mouse and keyboard controls and fine and servicable, but the game still feels like it was built for a gamepad. However, if you have no choice, the keyboard controls do have remapping options and options for mouse accleration.

The game also has new graphics settings to mess with. I would reccomend turning motion blur off, it makes everything look super crappy. Now, I still think this still looks good even today. It has a strong art style and the entire game is dripping with atmosphere.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with this port. I think we have reached the pinnacle. We no longer have to keep buying new versions of this game. We can finally look back and forget the awful PC port that came so long ago.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

how did this manage to look better (especially character faces) than Dark Souls 2? Please tell me.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127512 Posts

@silversix_ said:

how did this manage to look better (especially character faces) than Dark Souls 2? Please tell me.

Where does he say that?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Any one else having probs with steam this morning it will not log on. This is out same time as Thief and went to sign in as normal but get connection error. greee.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I had too much fun with it back on PS2. It's very tempting but I'm most likely gonna wait on a sale.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59055 Posts

Good game, is abit overrated. The port is great though, mouse controls suck but still a million times better than the Ubisoft one.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By silversix_

@horgen123: he didn't, im asking cuz the pic TC posted looks on par with Dark Souls 2 graphically and having played all the Souls games and RE4 i don't understand how is this 04 game has more detailed faces than a game released in 2014.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

@skipper847: was getting it earlier, but back to normal now.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@PcGamingRig said:

@skipper847: was getting it earlier, but back to normal now.

Been trying since this morning and finally back on my self. Every time that happens I always think have I been banned for something. lol.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I think people have forgotten you can mod the Ubisoft RE4 version and that looked better than this HD version. I do not own the new Ultimate HD version of the game, but going by the pictures available, the modded Ubisoft version looks a lot more sharper and the textures are far greater. Thanks to the mod creator. The only major issue with the Ubisoft version were the controls and the control mapping to controller. It was a bit of a pain. And we cannot forget the highly compressed cutscenes that were barely visible.

I still think it's an overrated game and the "remakes" of it need to stop. I would understand if this was THE definitive version - reworked textures, character models, and assets as if it was on a modified engine. But that wouldn't be suitable for the publisher's cost-benefit. This is merely a cash-grab. With all due respect, I will not pay into this when it is barely any better than the bad Ubisoft version. I guess if you have never played the Ubisoft version, modded, you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about. :P

Enjoy the game.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Elann2008 said:

I think people have forgotten you can mod the Ubisoft RE4 version and that looked better than this HD version. I do not own the new Ultimate HD version of the game, but going by the pictures available, the modded Ubisoft version looks a lot more sharper and the textures are far greater. Thanks to the mod creator. The only major issue with the Ubisoft version were the controls and the control mapping to controller. It was a bit of a pain. And we cannot forget the highly compressed cutscenes that were barely visible.

I still think it's an overrated game and the "remakes" of it need to stop. I would understand if this was THE definitive version - reworked textures, character models, and assets as if it was on a modified engine. But that wouldn't be suitable for the publisher's cost-benefit. This is merely a cash-grab. With all due respect, I will not pay into this when it is barely any better than the bad Ubisoft version. I guess if you have never played the Ubisoft version, modded, you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about. :P

Enjoy the game.

Your're wrong...just simply wrong. Even the modded 2007 PC port does not look as good as the original. You can rework textures and models all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the lighting, water, and particle effects are far weaker. The 2007 PC port was a port of the PS2 version, so characters look blockier and the geometry is far less complex. All of the cutscenes are FMVs in the 2007 release, They look no where near as good as the 2014 PC's real time cutscenes. The 2014 PC release of RE4 runs at 60fps, so the action is smoother and looks a lot better. Now, I remember playing the original 2007 PC release of RE4. I believe the load times in that version were pre-determined. They didn't take advantage of PC hardware, so they were about as long original PS2 version. The 2014 PC release basically has no load times. Switching between inventory items and weapons is instant in the Steam release. Not only is it the best looking and running version, it is also has the best gameplay. The action is sped up much faster because you can switch between weapons without waiting for long load times.

The audio in the 2007 release is also much weaker, because it is simply a port of the PS2 version. They had to remove sound effects and muddle with the sound to orignally get it running fine on the PS2. The audio in the 2014 release is from the original gamecube/wii versions, so it sounds the best. Audio is very much key to why this game was so great back in it's day

If you want the best looking, playing, and sounding version of the original game. The 2014 PC release is the version to pick up.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

It was a fun game back in the day.

I will for sure pick it up if its 30-40% off during the summer sale

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

is this it? why is it 11 on amazon and 20 on steam???

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-4-PC/dp/B000EPP6UA

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i wonder if they will send any patches down to enhance the 360 re-release? i just bought that recently because i had a spare microsoft gift card and i loved it on GCN and already modded earlier PC release

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

No, this is the old version of the game. The HD remake, I believe, is only available through Steam.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _SKatEDiRt_

@ForsakenWicked said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

No, this is the old version of the game. The HD remake, I believe, is only available through Steam.

Ahhh laame. I want a physical copy

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

could someone explain to me why the game is 15gb? It seems weird for a 10 year old game. are the textures really that high res? They dont look like that than from the mods I seen.

@_SKatEDiRt_

Don't worry there is going to be one sometime next month from capcom asia. I'll be ordering it from play asia. Just wish it was $25 so i can get free shipping with it lol.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere

@TheShadowLord07 said:

could someone explain to me why the game is 15gb? It seems weird for a 10 year old game. are the textures really that high res? They dont look like that than from the mods I seen.

@_SKatEDiRt_

Don't worry there is going to be one sometime next month from capcom asia. I'll be ordering it from play asia. Just wish it was $25 so i can get free shipping with it lol.

Apparently, the base game is around 7 gigs. The original SD textures are included which take up around 3 gigs. The new HD textures included are around 5 gigs.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _SKatEDiRt_

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@_SKatEDiRt_

great news!!! :D

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

This is my favorite game out of the entire franchise, I already own this game however on the GC, PS2, and the 360. I'm sure getting it again on the PC via Steam would just be a waste of money to me.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Going to buy it again simply because I remember how great it was on the PS2, and that wasn't the best version.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Elann2008

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Elann2008 said:

Enjoy the game.

Your're wrong...just simply wrong. Even the modded 2007 PC port does not look as good as the original. You can rework textures and models all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the lighting, water, and particle effects are far weaker. The 2007 PC port was a port of the PS2 version, so characters look blockier and the geometry is far less complex. All of the cutscenes are FMVs in the 2007 release, They look no where near as good as the 2014 PC's real time cutscenes. The 2014 PC release of RE4 runs at 60fps, so the action is smoother and looks a lot better. Now, I remember playing the original 2007 PC release of RE4. I believe the load times in that version were pre-determined. They didn't take advantage of PC hardware, so they were about as long original PS2 version. The 2014 PC release basically has no load times. Switching between inventory items and weapons is instant in the Steam release. Not only is it the best looking and running version, it is also has the best gameplay. The action is sped up much faster because you can switch between weapons without waiting for long load times.

The audio in the 2007 release is also much weaker, because it is simply a port of the PS2 version. They had to remove sound effects and muddle with the sound to orignally get it running fine on the PS2. The audio in the 2014 release is from the original gamecube/wii versions, so it sounds the best. Audio is very much key to why this game was so great back in it's day

If you want the best looking, playing, and sounding version of the original game. The 2014 PC release is the version to pick up.

It still doesn't make it a "2014" game. The visuals still look dated. I'm all for rehashing, revamping a good, classic game but do it on a new, next-gen engine. I do not think the new lighting and sound is significant enough to drop another twenty bones to revisit something you have played years ago. It's still dated and not many people care. Capcom should be using their resources for something else like make their current games. This nostalgia-bandwagon, fan-pleading is old. New IPs, please.

Unless this is some sort of sign from the Capcom gods that they are going back to their roots (just like they said with RE6, :P ), then it really isn't relevant.

The Ubisoft version was 60fps. I had no issues with load times.

I get it. It's a streamlined version. It plays smoother. Had this been released instead of the Ubisoft version, it would have been relevant. But seriously, this is 2014. It's a little late for that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

Quite a long game. Still don't get the RE5 hate, plays similar but with a friend. Aside from some shitty sections I enjoyed RE6 quite abit as well.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Elann2008

@uninspiredcup said:

Quite a long game. Still don't get the RE5 hate, plays similar but with a friend. Aside from some shitty sections I enjoyed RE6 quite abit as well.

RE6 is pretty good. I don't understand the hate for that game either. RE5 wasn't horrible. Decent. Definitely not last on my RE list.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

When this hits $5 maybe I'll buy it. I haven't been a fan of Resident Evil since it changed its focus from survival-horror to non-stop action.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Elann2008 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Elann2008 said:

Enjoy the game.

It still doesn't make it a "2014" game. The visuals still look dated. I'm all for rehashing, revamping a good, classic game but do it on a new, next-gen engine. I do not think the new lighting and sound is significant enough to drop another twenty bones to revisit something you have played years ago. It's still dated and not many people care. Capcom should be using their resources for something else like make their current games. This nostalgia-bandwagon, fan-pleading is old. New IPs, please.

Unless this is some sort of sign from the Capcom gods that they are going back to their roots (just like they said with RE6, :P ), then it really isn't relevant.

I get it. It's a streamlined version. It plays smoother. Had this been released instead of the Ubisoft version, it would have been relevant. But seriously, this is 2014. It's a little late for that.

No one ever said that this was a 2014 game, don't be crazy. People still play games like Final Fantasy 7, System Shock 2, Half Life , and Baulder's Gate to this day. Why? Because those games are classic games that have a mark on video game history. Sure, they are all a bit dated, but you can still have fun with them and appreciate why they are classics. However, I actually don't think RE4 is as dated as you think. I haven't seen a third person shooter action game with the level of atmosphere and varity that RE4 has. The character models and facial expressions still outclass some games even today.

By your terms, we should simply forget about old games and just play new ones. The reason why we have standards is because we look back on past games for further innovation. If we didn't, everyone would be praising RE6 as the next best TPS when it obviously wasn't.

The Ubisoft version did not run at 60fps, it was hard locked to 30fps. People tried to mod 60fps into the Ubisoft release, but it was very buggy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

Eh, I hope they release the other RE games as well, including the RE1 remake.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Eh, I hope they release the other RE games as well, including the RE1 remake.

Same. I'm hoping that since RE4 got put on Steam, that Code Veronica will be next.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@silversix_: Get your eyes checked.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silversix_

@SexyJazzCat said:

@silversix_: Get your eyes checked.

maybe u should

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@silversix_: No, get your eyes checked.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By silversix_

@SexyJazzCat said:

@silversix_: No, get your eyes checked.

No, maybe you should tho.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Cats fighting on the internet, now I've seen it all.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Elann2008

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Elann2008 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Elann2008 said:

Enjoy the game.

No one ever said that this was a 2014 game, don't be crazy. People still play games like Final Fantasy 7, System Shock 2, Half Life , and Baulder's Gate to this day. Why? Because those games are classic games that have a mark on video game history. Sure, they are all a bit dated, but you can still have fun with them and appreciate why they are classics. However, I actually don't think RE4 is as dated as you think. I haven't seen a third person shooter action game with the level of atmosphere and varity that RE4 has. The character models and facial expressions still outclass some games even today.

By your terms, we should simply forget about old games and just play new ones. The reason why we have standards is because we look back on past games for further innovation. If we didn't, everyone would be praising RE6 as the next best TPS when it obviously wasn't.

The Ubisoft version did not run at 60fps, it was hard locked to 30fps. People tried to mod 60fps into the Ubisoft release, but it was very buggy

The 60fps trainer or mod worked for me. I know that I would have been extremely irritated if it ran at 30fps. I am one of those OCD people that would not play a game at 30fps because it causes dizziness and nausea. Same goes with field of view. If it didn't bother me that much, I would play it at 30fps. And you really can't go wrong with 60fps; it's so much smoother as you well know. I did not have any issues with it but it sucks that others ran into bugs. What a shame. At least those people can revisit the game now.

I hope you know that RE6 stemmed from RE4. If you really want to appreciate the classics, you would have mentioned Resident Evil 1, 2, Code Veronica as well. But System Shock is more of an influence to Dead Space creators. Half-Life, well, pretty much every first-person shooter that was good that followed it. Those were the classics. RE4 gave way to RE5 and RE6. More action, less survival-horror. Some people prefer the latter. And that's fine.

I play mainly indie games and very few AAA games that remind me of classics.

Unfortunately, the state of gaming now has and will go further away from the classics. Let's remain hopeful that some developers learned how to take away some of the old standards and apply it to new video games. It does not mean we shouldn't "advance," but it would be nice if publishers and developers didn't totally ditch once were some of the best ideas in classic gaming.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

This should be free for people like me that bought the original PC version. That was the most awful port that I've ever had the displeasure of playing...

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I'll get it, that's for sure.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

This game has had way too many re-releases.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@spaceninja818 said:

This game has had way too many re-releases.

I couldn't agree more. I am truly sick of these re-releases (sometimes re-re-re-releases) but as long as foolish consumers continue to lap this garbage up - I don't see the practice ending anytime soon.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#39 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I thought we had mods for the initial PC port which made it pretty much perfect.

Still, people who haven't played it should give this one a go, it's a superb, perfectly paced masterpiece.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I already pre-ordered it but haven't played since it released. Do plan to though.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@SovietsUnited: The mod that let people use their mouse for aiming only works with the UK version, so I was stuck playing with awful controls...