Recording Vidoe Gameplay with Camtasia Studio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fred1266 (925 posts) -

can this be done, i herd people say it can be done but when i play for some reason it still does not record i usually use fraps but they store the files really large and i usually use Camstasia to record my desktop so i was wondering can it also record my video games if it can be done how exact do i do this

thanks in advance

#2 Posted by fred1266 (925 posts) -

bum,p

#3 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

yes but the thing is nearly every recorder i come by is like this.

They will not record in full screen do not ask me why.

What i did is place the tool bar on hide make the game window mode but of course 1080p. and it should work. 

remind you just got the program like 2 days ago lol so don't ask for too much from me lol. I made this video using that method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHA5p9E8xw

#4 Posted by xWeSayAmen (2 posts) -
I qeuss fraps is the best to use in-game recording? if you have a good version of it that don't record for only 30sec
#6 Posted by RyviusARC (4301 posts) -

I use FRAPS and DXtory to record my gameplay.

I usually use DXtory becuase it allows me to play at 60fps and record at 30fps which FRAPS doesn't.

Here is an example of one of the videos I recorded with DXtory and uploaded to YouTube.

Also a word of advice, get a second hard drive to record to and it will give better performance if you record at higher bitrates and resolutions.

#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23460 posts) -

msi afterburner's video recorder is better
compresses, and less performance hit than fraps

only problem is that its detection for applications is a bit wonky

also that video above, my ears are bleeding

#8 Posted by RyviusARC (4301 posts) -

JigglyWiggly_

Then don't listen to it if you don't like the music.

Also DXtory is the best recording program.

I have only run into problems with detection on old games from the 90s and before.

#9 Posted by RyviusARC (4301 posts) -

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

JigglyWiggly_

I have only run into problems with detection on old games from the 90s and before.

msi afterburner is better

Nope DXtory is.

It allows me to record in what frame rate I want without have to sync the frame rate with the game and I have a multitude of compression options.

I can also split the file in two and have two hard drives read and right each half for better speed.

There is just so much to customize with DXtory.

But personally I just use one hard drive and use the lagarith lossless codec in YU2 compression then use virtualdub with the .h264 codec to compress it further for the best video quality.

#10 Posted by RyviusARC (4301 posts) -

that's nice msi afterburner has less of a performance hit it also doesn't require the framerate to be synchedJigglyWiggly_

How do you know MSI afterburner has less of a performance hit?

You can use lots of compression options on DXtory so the performance is different depending on the compression algorithm.

To me it's a balance of quality and performance and DXtory does that best.

Also MSI afterburner can't beat the performance boost DXtory gets from recording to two hard drives at once.

#11 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23460 posts) -
#12 Posted by RyviusARC (4301 posts) -

msi afterburner doesn't write big files
it compresses on the go
quality is fineI know because I've used dxtory, it's not that good.
http://www.vaultf4.com/threads/game-recording-fraps-vs-bandicam-vs-msi-afterburner-vs-dxtory-vs-playclaw.433/ some other guy's anecdotal evidence JigglyWiggly_

But you can use different codecs on DXtory so his point about fps drops is null.

If I want I could use the .h264 codec to get small file sizes while recording but I like the option of recording with lossless codec then editing and compressing with virtualdub.

Most of the fps problems is probably due to him recording a file size too large for his hard drive to handle at higher fps.

This can be fixed by choosing a different compression option.

DXtory wins because it has more options for quality and performance and it has great support for most games aside from very old games that lack directx.

I use FRAPS for those older games as it has an option to capture my desktop which will detect any game no matter what and those old games are not performance intensive so I notice no drop in performance.

#13 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23460 posts) -

the compression performance isn't the big problem I would imagine
it's how it's storing the buffer, they all do it differently

no it's not the hard drive, hard drives can write 80 MB/s at lower case scenarios

who cares about the miniscule difference in quality when it's being uploaded to youtube?
msi afterburner's default codec is great

there's a reason all the pro fps players use msi afterburner when playing and not dxtory (provided the game doesn't have demo support)

i've used dxtory, it isn't as good

#14 Posted by RyviusARC (4301 posts) -

the compression performance isn't the big problem I would imagine
it's how it's storing the buffer, they all do it differently

no it's not the hard drive, hard drives can write 80 MB/s at lower case scenarios

who cares about the miniscule difference in quality when it's being uploaded to youtube?
msi afterburner's default codec is great

there's a reason all the pro fps players use msi afterburner when playing and not dxtory (provided the game doesn't have demo support)

i've used dxtory, it isn't as good

JigglyWiggly_

YouTube has an original option which is a lot better than the 1080P mode with a much higher bitrate.

Also did you use DXtory with the .h264 codec or a variety of other codecs.....or were you just using the defualt?

Maybe fps players use it becuase they don't want to fiddle with settings since DXtory is much more complex than MSI Afterburner.

I've never had fps drops with DXtory as long as there isn't a hardware bottlneck or an emulator using an old opengl plugin.

Recording at 30fps is not demanding and it's useless to record at a higher fps if you want to upload it to YouTube since that site will compress it and make it 30fps anyway.

Besides I hated MSI afterburner after is caused a lot of crashing with my games and I knew it was MSI afterburner because EVGA Precision didn't give me that issue.

#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23460 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

RyviusARC

msi afterburner is better
#16 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23460 posts) -
that's nice msi afterburner has less of a performance hit it also doesn't require the framerate to be synched