Recording game-play videos need help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vallonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vallonen
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hi

I am currently learning how to record gameplay videos on my Intel system ( i7-3770K) using Dxtory. I've been mining YouTube for Dxtory tutorials and found some good ones despite that it's taken me some time to get a hang of it, I now feel fairly comforatlbe with the Dxtory software itself.

I am recording onto two 1TB Seagate 7200rpm 64MB (ST1000DM003 ) drives in Raid 0 @ 1080p which seems to work great, I've also, finally, managed to get the recording quality itself up to par.

However.

When once it's time to compress the videos (using Virtual dub) something happens with the quality of the videos which I don't fully understand. Onscreen text is still razor sharp, but the black levels are smeared, I mean really smeared, so much so that it becomes difficult to distinguish what is what. It looks pixelated.

I guess it comes down to the compression codec? Or how much the original file is compressed?

I've tried various settings but I can't seem to solve it. It's frustrating to be honest, I really need help here from those who are recording game-play videos and have that as a hobby or perhaps even as a job.

Would appreciate it very much, thanks in advance.

/Eric

EDIT.

Looks like I've figured out what causes the problem. It is / must be the way YouTube compresses or codes your upload. I've been looking more closely at game play videos uploaded by other YouTube users and they've been equally bad in terms of smeared black levels. Unfortunately, If its on YouTubes end there's no solution.

This post could help so I'll let it be here for others to find.