Recommend me a new HOTAS

#1 Posted by kingmav222 (491 posts) -

As the thread title says, I'm looking for a new HOTAS controller. Currently I'm using the Thrustmaster HOTAS-X and it has served me well for over a year but as I'm getting more and more into combat flight sims I'm looking to upgrade. Price is not really an issue but I do want a setup that has rudder control built into it as I don't have the space for bulky pedals. Thanks

#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

Something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102073

#3 Posted by kingmav222 (491 posts) -

Wow that is really cool looking. Do you own one yourself? It seems people are complaining about calibration on it a lot.

#4 Edited by kweeni (10923 posts) -

Heard this one is one of the best: http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Joystick-2960720/dp/B00371R8P4

Price is sky high though...

I've personally thought about getting a X52 pro which I heard is really good and is pretty much the go to hotas for its price range. I believe the X55 is supposed to be its upgrade so I don't think you can go wrong with that one.

That said though I've never owned a hotas before, this is just info I've gathered few months ago.

#5 Posted by Byshop (11599 posts) -

@kingmav222: What kind of game are you planning on using it for? I use my HOTAS for space flight sims, so having a stick that's a perfect facsimile of real jet fighters wasn't important to me. The Saitek X52 Pro and up are good, but you have to consider what kind of stick you want. Anything above the X52 Pro will tend to be force sensing sticks, which take a bit of getting used to compared to normal flightsticks.

-Byshop

#6 Posted by kingmav222 (491 posts) -

I'm going to be using it mainly for the DCS KA-50, and other Flaming Cliffs aircraft. I'm not really too bothered about having a perfect replica of anything. I have looked at the X52 pro that you mentioned though, it seems good for the price. but I'm also in the mind that I want to buy a setup now and not have to upgrade again. I read some more reviews on the X55 though and that apparently is just as good as the Thrustmaster Warthog but a fair bit cheaper and has the built in rudder control that I need to boot. So I'll probably end up going with one of those.

#7 Posted by Byshop (11599 posts) -

@kingmav222 said:

I'm going to be using it mainly for the DCS KA-50, and other Flaming Cliffs aircraft. I'm not really too bothered about having a perfect replica of anything. I have looked at the X52 pro that you mentioned though, it seems good for the price. but I'm also in the mind that I want to buy a setup now and not have to upgrade again. I read some more reviews on the X55 though and that apparently is just as good as the Thrustmaster Warthog but a fair bit cheaper and has the built in rudder control that I need to boot. So I'll probably end up going with one of those.

"Upgrade" is a relative term in this case. It's not like a video card where if you skimp now there will be games you might not be able to play later. Pretty much anything from a X52 Pro and up would be a significant improvement over what you've got, it's just a question of what you prefer. Several of the Saiteks above the X52 Pro are force sensing, which is a more realistic representation of what you'd get in an actual jet fighter but some people do not like that kind of stick. I opted for the X52 Pro specifically because I didn't care if it's accurate to a real jet fighter (I play space flight sims) and I didn't want to spend a ton of money since I had just dumped a bunch of cash on a cockpit but I'm perfectly happy with it.

I know you didn't want rudder pedals but in my experience using stick rotation to handle rudder control is imprecise while you are also manuevering.

-Byshop