Recommend me a good RTS please

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

I'm playing Warcraft 3 after many months and returning to PC gaming after quite a while (got hooked to Dragon's Dogma, Red Dead Redemption and AC3 on PS3 for some time) and I've lost track of all good RTS games. Would you mind recommending a few RTS games with a medieval, fantasy or science fiction flavor? Some games I've already played:

Battle for Middle Earth I/II
Dawn of War (Is the campaign good in this game? I never gave it a shot)
Age of Empires
Age of Mythology
Stronghold Legends (an amazing underrated game)
Warcraft 3 (duh)

These are some games I'm interested in. Tell me your opinions on them please:

D&D Dragonshard
Supreme Commander
Company of Heroes
Starcraft 1 and 2

My computer can run anything upto Starcraft 2 on Mid Settings: 2.4 Ghz single-core P4 and 1 GB RAM with a Geforce 6200 512MB.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

I'm playing Warcraft 3 after many months and returning to PC gaming after quite a while (got hooked to Dragon's Dogma, Red Dead Redemption and AC3 on PS3 for some time) and I've lost track of all good RTS games. Would you mind recommending a few RTS games with a medieval, fantasy or science fiction flavor? Some games I've already played:

Age of Empires
Age of Mythology
Warcraft 3 (duh)

D&D Dragonshard
Supreme Commander
Company of Heroes
Starcraft 1 and 2

My computer can run anything upto Starcraft 2 on Mid Settings: 2.4 Ghz single-core P4 and 1 GB RAM with a Geforce 6200 512MB.

LordTrexGuy
You can go get Company of Heroes and its expansion packs through the THQ Humble Bundle. Plus you get other THQ games
Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
Definitely get the THQ humble bundle, company of heroes is just brilliant and will keep you hooked for a long time. And the other games included in the bundle are good aswell.
yummifullz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 yummifullz
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

Step outside the scifi fantasy genre for rts imo.

SC 1&2 are a no brainer...get them now.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert was a goddam classic RTS, i don't know about the sequels but u may wanna check it out if u never played it.

World in Conflict is another RTS not to be missed.

Age of Empires 2 and the new Civ's rock as well.

Happy clicking.

Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mrcod11
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

The Starcraft games are must-haves for most RTS fans. SC2 is the best there is in my opinion.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Total Annihilation - Spiritual predecessor to Supreme Commander and imo still superior. Highly recommended.

Homeworld - Epic space combat RTS. Still have not played anything like it to this day. Also one of the best stories in a game ever made. Highly recommended. Also check out the expansion back Cataclysm and the sequel Homeworld 2.

Battlezone - Interesting fusion of RTS and FPS set in a tank. Also highly recommended.

Elincia64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elincia64
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

CoH > Starcraft 2 imo. Get this www.humblebundle.com

I like the changes that have happenend in the RTS genre over the years, playing Starcraft 2 is like going back to 1998... I already played the original Starcraft back then and enjoyed it, but it just can't hold its own compared to the much more progressive Relic or The Creative Assemly games and all of their awesomeness.

Speaking of which, check out the Total War games which quickly became my favourite RTS series after playing Medieval 2 :) Technically they're a hybrid of Turn Based and RTS: you have a world map where you build up cities and move armies, but combat is done in real time - putting the best elements of both game styles to use. Instead of playing pre-determined campaign missions or one off skirmishes now your actions in battles have a direct effect on how the campaign plays out and vice versa. Battles feature thousands of troops and can be very intense, while the campaign map requires some carefully planned management and has some nice diplomacy options.There's heaps of replayability in this, and Shogun 2 even has a 2 player co-op or vs. campaign, in the former you can share troops with your co-op partner and in the latter they get the opportunity to play as the enemy army in any battle. <--- Now if Starcraft 2 offered anything remotely as deep or interesting as this i'd be playing it more :P

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
SC2 is the only real RTS out there, honestly. Everything else is a hybrid and can't really pull it off as well.
hedgy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hedgy1
Member since 2006 • 194 Posts

Definitely get Company of Heroes from the humble bundle! One of my all-time favorites, that one! And once you sorta get a feel for the game you should get Blitzkrieg Mod 4.6.2; it makes the gmae much faster paced and adds a bunch of more realistic mechanics

eHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 eHype
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Get Company of Heroes ASAP You could also consider: Rise of Nations - a very good game, underrated though. It's similair to Age of Empire but has more time periods. Homeworld - a trully unique game. Empire Earth - like Age of Empires but on steroids. Features every single time period in human history - from the Stone Age to the far future (robots, spaceships, cyber ninjas and all that good stuff). Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Sins of a Solar Empire
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
If you want something a little more hold your hand and EZ mode try Dawn of War? But yeah, avoid Company of Heroes because it will make you really bad at any other RTS games. CoH is a shallow and laugh-worthy strategy game.
eHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eHype
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
If you want something a little more hold your hand and EZ mode try Dawn of War? But yeah, avoid Company of Heroes because it will make you really bad at any other RTS games. CoH is a shallow and laugh-worthy strategy game.SKaREO
Why is CoH a "laugh-worthy" strategy game? IMHO it's pretty good.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]If you want something a little more hold your hand and EZ mode try Dawn of War? But yeah, avoid Company of Heroes because it will make you really bad at any other RTS games. CoH is a shallow and laugh-worthy strategy game.eHype
Why is CoH a "laugh-worthy" strategy game? IMHO it's pretty good.

Def one of the best RTSs ever made.

Morrowindboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Morrowindboy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Company of Heroes is the highest rated RTS of all time, and just happens to eat Starcraft 2 for breakfast.

Saying SC2 is the best RTS is equivalent to saying Counter Strike: Global Offensive is the best FPS ever.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

Age of Empires
Age of Mythology
Warcraft 3 (duh)

D&D Dragonshard
Supreme Commander
Company of Heroes
Starcraft 1 and 2

EliteM0nk3y

You can go get Company of Heroes and its expansion packs through the THQ Humble Bundle. Plus you get other THQ games

This, just put down $6 and you not only get Company of Heroes and it's expansions, but a bunch of other great games. Also Red Faction: Armageddon (which is not a great game).

CoH is my favorite RTS of all time, and of course Metro, Saints Row 3 and Darksiders are all pretty sweet too.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Men of War > CoH.
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Company of Heroes is the highest rated RTS of all time, and just happens to eat Starcraft 2 for breakfast.

Saying SC2 is the best RTS is equivalent to saying Counter Strike: Global Offensive is the best FPS ever.

Morrowindboy
This^
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

[QUOTE="Morrowindboy"]

pl4yer_f0und

This^

NO. Sc2 has better execution even if it's not as groundbreaking.

Sc2 is played by pros.

Relic sucks at balancing even if they have some very interesting concepts.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

If you're looking for classic RTS go with AoE or Starcraft.

If you want something a bit more innovative or different, try World in Conflict or Company of Heroes.

halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

IMO, Starcraft 2 is the pinnacle of what RTS games should be.

Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mrcod11

IMO, Starcraft 2 is the pinnacle of what RTS games should be.

halo2_4_pc

Completely agreed. People saying otherwise just don't like competitive gaming frankly. If you want a fun, user-friendly experience go with the other games recommended in this thread. But SC2 is easily the best competitive RTS out there. Absolutely no contest.

Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mrcod11

[QUOTE="pl4yer_f0und"][QUOTE="Morrowindboy"]

Ravenshout

This^

Sc2 is played by pros.

This as well. lol at the SC2 haters. It's absolutely the best RTS out there right now.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

CoH might have good graphics but the game is a joke.

Play as Axis build cannons with snipers protecting them = instant win.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pl4yer_f0und

[QUOTE="pl4yer_f0und"][QUOTE="Morrowindboy"]

Ravenshout

This^

Sc2 is played by pros.

Just because SC2 is played by the pros doesn't make it the best. With that reasoning Halo should be the best FPS of all time. But I agree that game is unbalanced in multiplayer, the wehrmacht are overpowered, however if your good you can overcome that. SC2 was built to be played competitively, but I think CoH is much more enjoyable. It's fresh, more realistic, and more tactical. But "enjoyable" and "best" are subjective, it comes down to what OP would find fun, but i still recommend CoH, and it is literally dirt cheap with the THQ humble bundle.
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="pl4yer_f0und"] This^pl4yer_f0und

Sc2 is played by pros.

Just because SC2 is played by the pros doesn't make it the best. With that reasoning Halo should be the best FPS of all time. But I agree that game is unbalanced in multiplayer, the wehrmacht are overpowered, however if your good you can overcome that. SC2 was built to be played competitively, but I think CoH is much more enjoyable. It's fresh, more realistic, and more tactical. But "enjoyable" and "best" are subjective, it comes down to what OP would find fun, but i still recommend CoH, and it is literally dirt cheap with the THQ humble bundle.

If he can afford to buy both, why not buy both?

The thing is, Sc2 is more accessible at the same time because of how the matchmaking works.

Realistic is not a criterion of good game design.

CoH has mechanics like the cover system that would not work on a larger scale RTS like Sc2. Why? Because CoH needs it to be tactical and deep. Sc2 doesn't .

It is played by pro since there is no utterly unbeatable strategy. It's not perfect, but at least the developer constantly pays attention to its problems and actually endeavor to solve them.

When you recommend a game to someone, especially multiplayer game, you should look at various aspects such as post-launch support and what not.

C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

Supreme Commander 1 and Forged Alliance are pretty good, never played 2...

If you like long drawn out games with massive battles and the likes then it is pretty good for that.

I also highly highly highly recommend Sins of a Solar Empire. It is a very slow game, but still one of the best RTSs in my opinion, I have put nearly 100 hours in Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion on Steam, very enjoyable.

The only way Starcraft 2 is fun is if you are some hyper-competitive 12 year old who likes games that only last 5 minutes... How anyone can enjoy a game where quite literally every MP match is a bumrush to build a few units and rush their base within minutes of starting. EVERY game. I mean if you like every game lasting 7 minutes and consisting of you rushing one building, spamming like 7 units, and then attacking an enemies base at 4 minutes in to have to quit and say GG... Then I guess Starcraft is good for you, but otherwise no.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pl4yer_f0und

[QUOTE="pl4yer_f0und"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"] NO. Sc2 has better execution even if it's not as groundbreaking.

Sc2 is played by pros.

Ravenshout

If he can afford to buy both, why not buy both?

The thing is, Sc2 is more accessible at the same time because of how the matchmaking works.

Realistic is not a criterion of good game design.

CoH has mechanics like the cover system that would not work on a larger scale RTS like Sc2. Why? Because CoH needs it to be tactical and deep. Sc2 doesn't .

It is played by pro since there is no utterly unbeatable strategy. It's not perfect, but at least the developer constantly pays attention to its problems and actually endeavor to solve them.

When you recommend a game to someone, especially multiplayer game, you should look at various aspects such as post-launch support and what not.

I know realistic doesn't make a good game, but it does make it more enjoyable at least for me. And I'm not saying SC2 needs cover mechanics, all I'm saying CoH is a different experience, whereas SC2 plays a lot like other RTS's like warcraft, command and conquer, just much more polished and balanced. And you say that I need to base my recommendation on various aspects, but you seem to just care about multiplayer. CoH has a ton of content, it's SP is fun, AI in skirmish is challenging, it has 2 expansion packs, and it's multiplayer is still fun despite the unbalance, so I would venture to say CoH nails most aspects, albeit its multiplayer of course is not as good as SC2.
elegance89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 elegance89
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

The total war series of games are pretty badass, hybrid of turn based and real time strategy.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Company of Heroes.. it's cheap now and it's the best current RTS you can get.
SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Sins of a Solar Empire

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LordTrexGuy

Okay, I got Starcraft 2, CoH and Dawn of War 2.

First off, Starcraft 2 is overrated. It's the same thing I've seen in the past decade of RTS games. And to be VERY honest, the multiplayer was easy. I played about 50 matches with players who I believe are pros, and destroyed them easily. Well not exactly easily, but as far as I know, they were nothing of the invicible community I've heard about. Although I must say, the story is interesting and the game's suprisingly balanced in its factions but I get horrible FPS so I can't play a lot.

Company of Heroes and DoW 2 are both great games but something about DoW 2 just didn't feel like the original. Maybe it was the bigger focus on RPG elements. But CoH is great and I believe I've already played this game with my cousin, just that I didn't realise it was this game. DoW 2 also gives very bad FPS so I've to wait to get my laptop repaired before I can play it further.

Are there any other games which are fantasy which you guys know? I'm finding lasers and robots kinda boring now.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
I hated Company of Heroes. If you want a Warcraft 3-ish experience, get Armies of Exigo. It's better than the reviews.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LordTrexGuy

I hated Company of Heroes. If you want a Warcraft 3-ish experience, get Armies of Exigo. It's better than the reviews.Nighteg

Finished it, good game.

humpmasterflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 humpmasterflex
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts

world in conflict is an amazing rts, great AAA pc exclusive.