recommend me a game similar to Warcraft 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by coltss (450 posts) -
well i havent played pc games in a while and remember playing warcraft 3 which was a whole lot of fun are their any recent games that are similar or even older i dont care?
#2 Posted by GodLovesDead (9752 posts) -
Starcraft and Warcraft 3 are ridiculously similar aside from the hero aspect.
#3 Posted by MastaP110 (230 posts) -
Starcraft 2!
#4 Posted by SpaceMoose (10788 posts) -

Starcraft and Warcraft 3 are ridiculously similar aside from the hero aspect.GodLovesDead

Not really. I understand where you are coming from, with how the buildings are constructed and all, but there are things that made Starcraft play much, much differently. For one thing, there are no units in Warcraft 3 that can attack while invisible. There aren't really units that instantly kill other units in Warcraft 3. Effective Starcraft strategy often has you building multiples of your various unit constructing buildings. Transports are a lot more important in Starcraft. There's a bunch of little things like that which make the two games play much differently.

#5 Posted by SpaceMoose (10788 posts) -
There were other RTS games which came out after Warcraft 3 that basically used the hero concept of Warcraft 3. I'm having a hard time coming up with what any of those games were though.
#6 Posted by flipin_jackass (9729 posts) -
Either Dawn of War and its expansions or try the Warlord Battlecry series.
#7 Posted by coltss (450 posts) -
is starcraft 2 out im thinking about trying world in conflict or ill just play warcraft 3 i dunt know hpw active it will be though
#8 Posted by SpaceMoose (10788 posts) -

is starcraft 2 out im thinking about trying world in conflict or ill just play warcraft 3 i dunt know hpw active it will be thoughcoltss

no starcraft 2 will not be out until at least next year world in conflict is really an entirely different animal its an action game in the guise of a rts there really are no resources or unit building warcraft 3 is still plenty active

#9 Posted by teardropmina (2806 posts) -
check out Spellforce series; RPG/RTS hybrid. compared to Warcraft 3,there are more RPG in them, and overall are slower paced games. not as good and exciting as Warcraft 3, but definitely have their own charm.
#10 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Armies of Exigo
#11 Posted by Siofen (987 posts) -
Warcraft? Warcraft 2? :P
#12 Posted by SpaceMoose (10788 posts) -

Warcraft? Warcraft 2? :P Siofen

Actually, I daresay neither of those games plays at all like Warcraft 3. Cetainly the first one doesn't.

It's actually kind of weird to think about Warcraft 2 now and consider that was what once was considered a high quality RTS game. If a game like that was put out today, even with updated graphics, it would get torn to pieces. It really hasn't held up well like Starcraft has.

#13 Posted by Zillaschool (1593 posts) -
There is no game available as similar to warcraft because its a unique game.this game is so unique that no other game can touch it.
#14 Posted by shakmaster13 (7138 posts) -
closest ur gonna get to wc3:riegn of chaos is wc3:the frozen throne
#15 Posted by teardropmina (2806 posts) -

There is no game available as similar to warcraft because its a unique game.this game is so unique that no other game can touch it. Zillaschool

well, you can certainly say it's unique and does better than any other RPG/RTS, but it's not the only game of its kind. There are similar games, but probably not of them is better.

already mentioned in this thread:

Armies of Exigo (a Warcraft 3 clone: how can it not be similar to Warcraft 3? it's just not as good, like all the Diablo 2 clones out there...they are similar to Diablo 2 but not better)

Spellforce series: more typical RPG quests involved.

not yet mentioned:

Dragonshard: D&D version of Warcraft 3

Kingdom under Fire: A War of Heroes; not a good game, but a similar one nontheless.

well, back to OP, if you want similar games, there are; but if you want the same degree of satistactory gaming experience...probably not.

#16 Posted by THERSOfi (1214 posts) -
LotR Battle for Middle Earth II
#17 Posted by teardropmina (2806 posts) -

LotR Battle for Middle Earth IITHERSOfi

I haven't played the sequel; the first one is indeed an attempt of RPG/RTS, but I find those two aspects aren't blended well. Way too many conventional RTS missions.

#18 Posted by Tuzolord (1311 posts) -
Spellforce is pretty solid, a mix of Warcraft 3 and Dungeon Siege.
#19 Posted by spierdalaj666 (865 posts) -

Spellforce is as close as you'll get, and it is a fantastic game.

spellforce 2 has more rpg elements and less of an emphasis on RTS but it's still great.

#20 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
It would be easy to draw up an extremely long list of ways in which they are not similar, but Dawn of War is an easy game to recommend to anyone who likes WarCraft 3.
#21 Posted by bangell99 (10568 posts) -

You mean RTSs in general, or similar RTSs to WC3?

Company of Heroes and Medieval 2 Total War are great RTSs.

#22 Posted by coltss (450 posts) -

bangell99

nething thats fun like warcraft 3

#23 Posted by bangell99 (10568 posts) -
[QUOTE="bangell99"]

coltss

nething thats fun like warcraft 3

Well, Medieval 2 is really addictive, and will have you playing for hours. It's a mix of turn-based and real-time strategy, on an epic scale.

Company of Heroes is very fast-paced, and I think you'd prefer it.

#24 Posted by egentwierdo (86 posts) -
Lords of EverQuest is very similar to Warcraft 3 i recommend it for Warcraft lovers.
#25 Posted by thequickshooter (352 posts) -

there is lord of the rings war of the ring

which is warcraft X battle realms

highly reccomended

#26 Posted by Realmjumper (634 posts) -
There is no game available as similar to warcraft because its a unique game.this game is so unique that no other game can touch it. Zillaschool
Actually I heard Warcraft 3 copied it's heroes from Battle Realms.
#27 Posted by Socijalisticka (1621 posts) -

It would be easy to draw up an extremely long list of ways in which they are not similar, but Dawn of War is an easy game to recommend to anyone who likes WarCraft 3.fatshodan

2c0922d929843d109ff8682802c0e8e4f17943ff
Rest in Peace.