Recently did a few upgrades, how's my rig looking?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

Recently did a few upgrades and re-configurations for my rig and I'd say it's looking pretty good, I'd still like a second opinion if I'd be needing any updates in recent future.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz (Cooled using a Coolermaster Hyper 212+)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

RAM: Corsair XM3 8GB (4GB x 2)

GPU: MSI GTX760 OC (2GB) (recently upgraded from a HD5850 :D)

Storage:

Samsung 840 250GB SSD for primary OS and Games (newest addition! :D)

Seagate 1TB and WDC 1TB HDD in RAID 1

Display: Samsung 2233SW 21.5" 1080p monitor (kinda sucks, probably should get a new one)

Sound: Altec Lansing T612

KB/Mouse: Generic Logitech keyboard with a Razer Mamba (love this mouse, the left click's kinda broken though)

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
whats the ram speed.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gigatrainer
whats the ram speed. RimacBugatti
16000Mhz 9-9-9-24 I think
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

looks decent, should last you 2-3 years.  The monitors size is actually not too bad, if you want a big screen for some games then hook up hdmi to the tv and play on the big screen.

BTW, you squeezed the life out of that 5850

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gigatrainer

looks decent, should last you 2-3 years.  The monitors size is actually not too bad, if you want a big screen for some games then hook up hdmi to the tv and play on the big screen.

BTW, you squeezed the life out of that 5850

blaznwiipspman1

I wasn't complaining about the size, it's colours and contrast suck (I use a rMBP for work, so it's a pretty stark difference). And yeah, the HD5850 lasted quite well for about 2.5 years (I still have it, it's just not attached to anything, I'll give it to my sister most probably), I could still play TW:S2 and BF3 quite well on High/Ultra at my resolution but I figured it's time for an upgrade (did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago). My i5 is about a year or so old as well and is still pretty awesome.

EDIT: Btw, why the hell do you have a Intel HD4000 as your primary GPU?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
I used the GSkill 2400mhz Ram. If you ever get a chance and I wish I would have searched a little more. Try getting the motherboard that houses the 2800mhz Ram. And on top of that I think it will allow you to overclock. I'm really obsessed with the fastest Ram because the Ram overclocked makes computer run better than CPU overclock. Now unfortunately I can't get my computer to run with CPU and Ram overclocked. But overclocked Ram makes the computer fun.
lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

I used the GSkill 2400mhz Ram. If you ever get a chance and I wish I would have searched a little more. Try getting the motherboard that houses the 2800mhz Ram. And on top of that I think it will allow you to overclock. I'm really obsessed with the fastest Ram because the Ram overclocked makes computer run better than CPU overclock. Now unfortunately I can't get my computer to run with CPU and Ram overclocked. But overclocked Ram makes the computer fun. RimacBugatti

ram overclocking is absolutely and utterly pointless . Hell getting more than 1600 ddr3 sees literally no gains..  

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Rig is looking good.  A solid cpu, gpu to last at least a few years.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gigatrainer

[QUOTE="RimacBugatti"]I used the GSkill 2400mhz Ram. If you ever get a chance and I wish I would have searched a little more. Try getting the motherboard that houses the 2800mhz Ram. And on top of that I think it will allow you to overclock. I'm really obsessed with the fastest Ram because the Ram overclocked makes computer run better than CPU overclock. Now unfortunately I can't get my computer to run with CPU and Ram overclocked. But overclocked Ram makes the computer fun. lunar1122

ram overclocking is absolutely and utterly pointless . Hell getting more than 1600 ddr3 sees literally no gains..  

I agree, I've never once seen any difference by OC'ing RAM.

Rig is looking good.  A solid cpu, gpu to last at least a few years.

joseph_mach
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Looks great. Maybe should have gone for a GTX 770 for longer lasting performance.

If the games runs well, you have a decent rig. That's all that matters.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gigatrainer

Looks great. Maybe should have gone for a GTX 770 for longer lasting performance.

If the games runs well, you have a decent rig. That's all that matters.

Cyberdot
GTX770 was almost 50% more expensive than a GTX760 here, so I couldn't really afford it.