Realistic Medieval/Fantasy RPG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Jewish_Assassin
Jewish_Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jewish_Assassin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hello fellow comrades, I've been searching for a while, looking at various posts, but I haven't found anything yet. I've been into Medieval/Fantasy RPG's for a long time, but I haven't quite found a game yet, which matches this list; you can skip to the last bit under the dotted line if you don't want to read all the details. List - Combat is VERY realistic E.g. An arrow to the knee won't kill you (unless bled to death), but will make it extremely hard to get anywhere. Arrow to the head is a certain kill etc. This doesn't apply just to the player but any enemies or opposition in the game, making it challenging and making you think more about how you approach a situation instead of making the most beast armour and weapons and killing 50 guards with 1 hit each and coming out with a small scratch. - Movement and carrying weight is realistic, if you are walking on a slope you will tend to move in the way the slope is sloping, etc. You can't carry 14 swords because they only weigh 5 units, and you can carry 100 units. - Resting, slower movement (walking) and eating/drinking replenish your energy etc. - Stealth is realistic E.g. if you have been detected from stealth killing someone, and you run and hide for a while, enemies won't just forget about their fallen comrade and let it go, they will search for you until you are dead or until they are dead. Enemies use all senses to detect you instead of just their eyes etc. - Character leveling increase is realistic - maybe "leveling" is the wrong word, improving matches the description better. Instead of leveling a skill, you character just gets... better at using whatever they use, and the more they do it the better they get, but it is limited realistically. - Actions have heavier consequences: E.g. When you fall off a 15m cliff, you don't lose 100 health and are now on 400 health, instead you break your ankle and it takes a few months to heal (game time), and maybe not even back to 100%, unless its fantasy, then magic could heal it quicker. Another e.g. running on fire will not make you lose 5 hit points every second for 40 seconds, your feet actually burn and you can barely walk on them for a while, or days depending on the burn. - Overall, just realistic - games like Skyrim are good and all, but towards the end (and at the beginning too I guess) it becomes a numbers game, the character with the weapon with the most damage usually wins. And if you have some buffed up armour which gives you 1000 armour rating, you almost never die which just ruins the game. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So simply a game that is very realistic in all kinds of ways, no health bars that float above an enemies head or at the top of the screen, no hacking away at a mans head with an axe or putting 200 arrows through his chest for 2 hours because he has 10000 health, no carrying an entire shop full of weapons on your back for a few hour journey of solid running. Just a hardcore realistic game. I know that's a lot for a game to have in it to be very realistic in those kinds of ways (if you read the details), but you can only wonder if there is a Medieval/fantasy RPG out there like that! Any suggestions?
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
While I'm not 100 % sure I doubt there's a super hardcore RPG like that. The only thing I can think of is America's Army and that's a FPS "simulator" where you actually had to "educate" yourself in order to become a special force and medic.
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

The closest thing I can think of is Mount and Blade: Warband with the difficulty turned all the way up. You can only have four weapon slots, shields and ammunition each take up a slot. You generally don't have much more health than your soldiers, and it is a dynamic sandbox. More about raising armies and attacking things than roleplaying though it does have you leveling up and raising skills. Historical fantasy, so no magic, elves, or potions.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
If a game already met your criteria, you'd already be playing it. These foolish posts are nonsense. What you're asking for is ridiculous, a "fantasy" that's "realistic"...yea, ok.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
If a game already met your criteria, you'd already be playing it. These foolish posts are nonsense. What you're asking for is ridiculous, a "fantasy" that's "realistic"...yea, ok. JKnaperek
This and sadly I'm sure you will never get to play such a game, it contradicts the design of games, fun, such a game would have to be extremely ambitious and complex and it will be extremely niche "at best" in short, it will be a monumental failure in sales, so nobody will ever make such a game.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

the closest is mount and blade warband.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

witcher 2?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

the tc has listed a paradox of a game. it simply cant exist. there are literally contradictions everywhere that make it impossible (within his criteria). not even a console could do these things, so id avoid asking them.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Mount and Blade?

And I guess Crusader Kings 2.... though that may not what he would expect.

DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DoctorWho88
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

Mount and Blade, maybe?? Your criteria seems pretty high, :?

jhonel83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 jhonel83
Member since 2007 • 245 Posts
[QUOTE="Jewish_Assassin"]Hello fellow comrades, I've been searching for a while, looking at various posts, but I haven't found anything yet. I've been into Medieval/Fantasy RPG's for a long time, but I haven't quite found a game yet, which matches this list; you can skip to the last bit under the dotted line if you don't want to read all the details. List - Combat is VERY realistic E.g. An arrow to the knee won't kill you (unless bled to death), but will make it extremely hard to get anywhere. Arrow to the head is a certain kill etc. This doesn't apply just to the player but any enemies or opposition in the game, making it challenging and making you think more about how you approach a situation instead of making the most beast armour and weapons and killing 50 guards with 1 hit each and coming out with a small scratch. - Movement and carrying weight is realistic, if you are walking on a slope you will tend to move in the way the slope is sloping, etc. You can't carry 14 swords because they only weigh 5 units, and you can carry 100 units. - Resting, slower movement (walking) and eating/drinking replenish your energy etc. - Stealth is realistic E.g. if you have been detected from stealth killing someone, and you run and hide for a while, enemies won't just forget about their fallen comrade and let it go, they will search for you until you are dead or until they are dead. Enemies use all senses to detect you instead of just their eyes etc. - Character leveling increase is realistic - maybe "leveling" is the wrong word, improving matches the description better. Instead of leveling a skill, you character just gets... better at using whatever they use, and the more they do it the better they get, but it is limited realistically. - Actions have heavier consequences: E.g. When you fall off a 15m cliff, you don't lose 100 health and are now on 400 health, instead you break your ankle and it takes a few months to heal (game time), and maybe not even back to 100%, unless its fantasy, then magic could heal it quicker. Another e.g. running on fire will not make you lose 5 hit points every second for 40 seconds, your feet actually burn and you can barely walk on them for a while, or days depending on the burn. - Overall, just realistic - games like Skyrim are good and all, but towards the end (and at the beginning too I guess) it becomes a numbers game, the character with the weapon with the most damage usually wins. And if you have some buffed up armour which gives you 1000 armour rating, you almost never die which just ruins the game. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So simply a game that is very realistic in all kinds of ways, no health bars that float above an enemies head or at the top of the screen, no hacking away at a mans head with an axe or putting 200 arrows through his chest for 2 hours because he has 10000 health, no carrying an entire shop full of weapons on your back for a few hour journey of solid running. Just a hardcore realistic game. I know that's a lot for a game to have in it to be very realistic in those kinds of ways (if you read the details), but you can only wonder if there is a Medieval/fantasy RPG out there like that! Any suggestions?

Try Gothic. After you've finished it, go for Gothic 2. I know it's old, but I can't think of anything that comes closer to what you are searching for. Beware -it's brutally difficult.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yea, realistic and fantasy kinda contradict each other. lol.

Check out Darklands though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLLW3ApIcY

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
Kenshi. Look it up. Alpha though.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Kenshi. Look it up. Alpha though. MythPro1
I was going to suggest this.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Darkfall Online meets some of your points, but it is a MMORPG. It is realistic and harsh in some ways, such as the fact that you drop everything you were carrying when you die. The combat is kinda like Mount and Blade, because you can move freely, and you have to aim ranged attacks. The skill system is also similar to your point, where you get better by doing things, rather than gaining xp and levels. There is a free trial, so I suggest giving it a try.