Randomly getting huge FPS drops in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NuclearFlower (575 posts) -

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB)

4GB of RAM

Motherboard: m4a785td-m evo

I've been getting random FPS drops in all my games; games I would normally easily run are randomly dropping down to like 10-25 FPS for about 5-20 seconds, then just shooting back up again. This is even happening to games I'd normally run at an average 200+ FPS. I've noticed it's mostly happening in open areas. Also, my load times have gotten signifigantly longer.

I thought it might be a virus, so I checked, and ESET found no viruses. I thought I may have a dirty driver install, so I did a clean one, still nothing. I started having problems around the time I installed the latest nvidia drivers, and I thought it may be a problem with those, so I reverted back to the older drivers. Nothing was fixed. I tried cleaning my registry, still to no avail. My temps are normal, and that was to be expected because cooling shouldn't be a problem. I have an Antec 1200 Series Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with 6 fans.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on? Could it be my RAM dying, or possibly my GPU? I hope not, because it's not even 2 years old.

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (19254 posts) -

You can try turning off the adaptive power settings in the Nvidia control panel. Also you may want to look at your cpu usage while playing a game and see if the cpu usage spikes with framerate drops. And lastly see if your games are using all of your video memory. If nothing is figured out why, Doing a fresh install of windows will rule out all software/driver possiblity of conflicts causing your problem.

#3 Posted by Mareczek99 (336 posts) -

Your computer's CPU is getting too hot, so it slows down performance to cool itself.

It does it especially in open areas, because the CPU has to process a lot more stuff.

Try to dust off the computer (CPU fan and it's radiator)

You should also apply a new thermal paste and think about a better cooling solution (a more efficient fan/radiator)

#4 Posted by Mareczek99 (336 posts) -

and don't give me that normal temps talk.

It may be at normal when it's idle, but the dust prevents the CPU to be cooled efficiently when needed.

Try it and give us some feedback

#5 Posted by giannis196 (17 posts) -
maybe it's because you run allot of big (or short) programs while you are playing , it's natural to decrease the fraps of the game if the game is a big game which needs the best computers my computer which the CPU is 3,3GH 6-core (yes 6-core) and 4 GB RAM have low FPS too! it's natural for computers to stuck anyway. what did you expecting? you will buy a strong computer and it will never have low fraps or stuck? when you run 4-5 programs (i have see this case too!) of course and it will stuck or have low FPS but if you don't run allot of big (or short) programs then that's mean that, you have a unwanted visitor (virus!!) so the only thing who you should do is to run your anti-virus and maybe it will catch something.
#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -
[QUOTE="giannis196"]maybe it's because you run allot of big (or short) programs while you are playing , it's natural to decrease the fraps of the game if the game is a big game which needs the best computers my computer which the CPU is 3,3GH 6-core (yes 6-core) and 4 GB RAM have low FPS too! it's natural for computers to stuck anyway. what did you expecting? you will buy a strong computer and it will never have low fraps or stuck? when you run 4-5 programs (i have see this case too!) of course and it will stuck or have low FPS but if you don't run allot of big (or short) programs then that's mean that, you have a unwanted visitor (virus!!) so the only thing who you should do is to run your anti-virus and maybe it will catch something.

wtf are you talking about... TC, what are your load temps?
#7 Posted by NuclearFlower (575 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"] TC, what are your load temps?

CPU in game (Witcher 2) never goes past 35c GPU gets up to 80c in game.
#8 Posted by 04dcarraher (19254 posts) -
[QUOTE="NuclearFlower"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] TC, what are your load temps?

Those are fine, did you try those things I posted earlier?
#9 Posted by NuclearFlower (575 posts) -

[QUOTE="NuclearFlower"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] TC, what are your load temps?04dcarraher

I turned off adaptive power settings and that didn't do anything. However my cpu usage gets to 73% in The Witcher 2 when the framerate drops.

#10 Posted by 04dcarraher (19254 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="NuclearFlower"] CPU in game (Witcher 2) never goes past 35c GPU gets up to 80c in game.NuclearFlower

I turned off adaptive power settings and that didn't do anything. However my cpu usage gets to 73% in The Witcher 2 when the framerate drops.

Your not spiking
#11 Posted by Mareczek99 (336 posts) -

If it really is a short random slow down I would really suggest cleaning the fan/radiator.

You can also check ram memory usage, but i doubt it's the issue.

#12 Posted by ydnarrewop (2137 posts) -
If it's an online game check your connection ;)
#13 Posted by Pedosmile (6 posts) -
[QUOTE="giannis196"]maybe it's because you run allot of big (or short) programs while you are playing , it's natural to decrease the fraps of the game if the game is a big game which needs the best computers my computer which the CPU is 3,3GH 6-core (yes 6-core) and 4 GB RAM have low FPS too! it's natural for computers to stuck anyway. what did you expecting? you will buy a strong computer and it will never have low fraps or stuck? when you run 4-5 programs (i have see this case too!) of course and it will stuck or have low FPS but if you don't run allot of big (or short) programs then that's mean that, you have a unwanted visitor (virus!!) so the only thing who you should do is to run your anti-virus and maybe it will catch something.

English, have you tried it?
#14 Posted by Pedosmile (6 posts) -

TC, you should check to see if your RAM is the problem. If so, try using SKORGE instead.

#15 Posted by zaku101 (4327 posts) -

This is usally caused my 2 much heat... I've seen it happen when I OC my CPU too far and the heat would cause it to downclock and cause a framedrop randomly under load.

#16 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

memtest86

#17 Posted by WiiRocks66 (3488 posts) -

maybe it's because you run allot of big (or short) programs while you are playing , it's natural to decrease the fraps of the game if the game is a big game which needs the best computers my computer which the CPU is 3,3GH 6-core (yes 6-core) and 4 GB RAM have low FPS too! it's natural for computers to stuck anyway. what did you expecting? you will buy a strong computer and it will never have low fraps or stuck? when you run 4-5 programs (i have see this case too!) of course and it will stuck or have low FPS but if you don't run allot of big (or short) programs then that's mean that, you have a unwanted visitor (virus!!) so the only thing who you should do is to run your anti-virus and maybe it will catch something.giannis196

:lol: Oh my...I laughed when I read this. Either you are terrible at English, a troll, or both.

#18 Posted by adamosmaki (9449 posts) -
Tc this sounds like a driver issue to me. The simplest think to do is just download newest nvidia drivers and see where that goes It could be a a RAM problem like someone said so do try Memtest if anything else fails Also some cpu drops to about 80% when playing the Withcer 2 especially in heavy populated areas is normal for a 3year old quad core cpu ( with an X4 955 at 3,4ghz i get some drops to 85% from time to time )