RAM memory set up question!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Okay i am a bit confused here and need help guys, it's regarding the positioning of RAM memories are they suppose to be as close as possible to the CPU or further away? If I remember correctly that they need to be closer to the CPU if you are gonna over clock.

However watching a random video about my mobo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVLWHRkoQ3Y

The dude says that I am suppose to connect as far away as possible from the CPU....

Also I have currently connected all RAMs (3x2 GB) on the black colored sockets, should I switch em to the blue sockets instead?

This is the layout of my mobo:

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

The colored slots that you have them in now are correct. You need to look in your mobo manual as to which set is the 1st channel and just put the RAM in those ones. I have seen it different on different mobos, some close and some far from the CPU.

Also to your thread title

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

The colored slots that you have them in now are correct. You need to look in your mobo manual as to which set is the 1st channel and just put the RAM in those ones. I have seen it different on different mobos, some close and some far from the CPU.

Also to your thread title

Iantheone

hehe well in Sweden they are called RAM-Minnen :P which translates to topic title.

EDIT: Seems like the dude from the youtube video was right :? ah well time to switch from black sockets to blue!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I have a similar question actually. My motherboard manual says I have channel A and channel B, but DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 are different colors. A1 is blue, and A2 is black. How am I supposed to set this up? One stick in A1, and the other in A2 or what?

I was under the impression that 1 channel would be 1 color, and the other channel would be a different color, but they're one of each.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I have a similar question actually. My motherboard manual says I have channel A and channel B, but DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 are different colors. A1 is blue, and A2 is black. How am I supposed to set this up? One stick in A1, and the other in A2 or what?

I was under the impression that 1 channel would be 1 color, and the other channel would be a different color, but they're one of each.

Guppy507
It varies, depending on the motherboard. All you need to do is install CPU-Z and under the memory tab it'll tell you if your memory is in dual channel or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

PernicioEnigma

It varies, depending on the motherboard. All you need to do is install CPU-Z and under the memory tab it'll tell you if your memory is in dual channel or not.

It says:

Channels #: Dual (This mean I have it set up correct?)

DC Mode: Unganged (I don't know what that means. :P)

Tlesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tlesta
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"][QUOTE="Guppy507"]

Guppy507

It says:

Sounds like it. What are the other 2 slots called? You said the first back is A1 and the first blue is A2. Are the last 2 called something? if not, then that means for Dual channel you would want Black and Black and blue and blue.
Tlesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tlesta
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"][QUOTE="Guppy507"]

Guppy507

It says:

Sounds like it. What are the other 2 slots called? You said the first back is A1 and the first blue is A2. Are the last 2 called something? if not, then that means for Dual channel you would want Black and Black and blue and blue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Sounds like it. What are the other 2 slots called? You said the first back is A1 and the first blue is A2. Are the last 2 called something? if not, then that means for Dual channel you would want Black and Black and blue and blue.Tlesta

Slot 1 (A1) and 2 (B1) are blue, and slot 3 (A2) and 4 (B2) are black. Right now, I have them both in the blue slots, so one's in A1, and the other's in B1.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
So put them in the blue ones. Ati mobos are like that. Intel ones stagger the colors for some reason