Questions about a new GPU/PSU.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

I'll give a little background info right here- my current PC is using an i5-3470 CPU, GT 620 2 GB, and 8 gigs of RAM. I can play skyrim at low settings 1080p, or at mid settings but with 25-40 FPS. Games like DOTA 2 run on Ultra settings flawlessly. I got this computer as a christmas gift from my father. I really wanted to upgrade to a better GPU around the time Crysis 3 is released. I was afraid my father would be concerned though if I wanted to upgrade so quickly. Anyway, if I do upgrade my GPU (was looking at the radeon 7850) would I be able to run Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3 on max settings? Also, would my current PSU (350w) be able to handle it? And how would I avoid my father being disappointed that I wanted to upgrade the GPU suddenly?

Any help is appreciated.

#2 Posted by JohnF111 (14050 posts) -

Tough one, upgrade and upset father or don't upgrade and don't get higher performance... Also the PSU probably wouldn't handle the kind of card that will play Crysis 3 on decent settings. The PC you got is mostly for browsing and general use. A way to get your father to understand is possibly by telling him that they are designed to be modified and upgraded, maybe even show him the ins and outs of the machine and tell him "you can do this and this if you want to run AutoCAD and Photoshop" and "You can do this and this to play high demand games" and after a week or two maybe hint to him that you want to upgrade it. At least that way he knows you're enthusiastic about the new PC and that you want to play games at higher settings.

#3 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Do you think I could hold off until April or May? I have the money for a 7850 (just have to sell another game for the extra 20-30 bucks). I'm not disappointed in the performance of games I play right now, but I don't think my current GPU will last more than a year.

#4 Posted by General_X (9027 posts) -
You'll definitely want an upgrade, just say something along the lines of "recent games have become a lot more demanding than this card can handle, luckily an upgrade should last me quite awhile" or something like that."
#5 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

okay, thanks. I'll probably talk to him in mid-march or so and explain how I could use an upgrade. By then I should have the money for a better PSU and maybe even a better GPU than the 7850.

One last thing- how does the GTX 560ti compare to a 7850?

I guess I'm satisified for now, I'm able to play Far Cry 3 at mid settings with a decent framerate.

#7 Posted by 04dcarraher (19215 posts) -

okay, thanks. I'll probably talk to him in mid-march or so and explain how I could use an upgrade. By then I should have the money for a better PSU and maybe even a better GPU than the 7850.

One last thing- how does the GTX 560ti compare to a 7850?

I guess I'm satisified for now, I'm able to play Far Cry 3 at mid settings with a decent framerate.

Primordialous
GTX 560ti (384 SP) vs 7850 are close, performance wise.
#8 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

I seem to have encountered a problem with my GPU being bottlenecked by my CPU. As I was already planning on upgrading, and the fact that my GPU is bottlenecked, I spoke to my family.

It looks as if I will be upgrading my GPU in mid-to-late February, maybe sooner if prices drop enough due to the release of the new Geforce card. Thanks for all the suggestions, I probably will go with the 7850. Am still unsure about my PSU, though.

#9 Posted by 04dcarraher (19215 posts) -
Your cpu is not the bottleneck its that gpu GT 620
#10 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Your cpu is not the bottleneck its that gpu GT 62004dcarraher

That is what I meant- I was in a hurry, busy day today.