question del vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greenbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 greenbread
Member since 2003 • 867 Posts
i currently have had my computer for 2 and a half years.  I am going to be building my new one when i go to college, and i will be buying vista then, but then i thought why not get it now enjoy it until a build my new one in august, and then just use that vista on the new comp.  Does that allow me to do that?  and would vista run well on my computer?  Thanks my specs are in the sig. 
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
You know Vista will automatically delete stuff off of your computer that M$ doesn't want you to have?
blazethe1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 blazethe1
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts
no, im pretty sure, once you use the code that came with it, that copy is exclusive to that computer. at least, thats what they were going for.
Zarchon31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zarchon31
Member since 2005 • 44 Posts
Your specs are fine to run vista and you will have to either reformat or install over the old OS. either way, you will lose all your configurations and programs wont seem to be installed and might not work correctly. Not your best choice, but if you do go through with this, Windows Vista allows you to change computers an unlimited number of times. hope it helps!
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 supergamer1289
Member since 2005 • 2825 Posts
I dont know the answer to your question, but I am sure the vista bashing wont help him.
sudantha8527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#6 sudantha8527
Member since 2005 • 1589 Posts
You should be able to install the same Vista on your new com with the serial. Y don't you ask MSs' Customer support
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
You know Vista will automatically delete stuff off of your computer that M$ doesn't want you to have?d-rtyboy
No. As for the OP's question, I think you can have one copy of Vista installed on one computer at a time. You should call Microsoft for clarification, it should be an easy 5 minute thing.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 d-rtyboy
[QUOTE="d-rtyboy"]You know Vista will automatically delete stuff off of your computer that M$ doesn't want you to have?DeeJayInphinity
No.

Yes. :) Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge.
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="d-rtyboy"]You know Vista will automatically delete stuff off of your computer that M$ doesn't want you to have?d-rtyboy
No.

Yes. :) Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge.

You really believe some random guy from Canada?
"Michael Geist holds the Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-commerce Law at the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law."
He might know about the Internet and E-commerce, that doesn't mean that he knows anything about Vista.

I will tell you right now I don't know a lot about Vista or OSs as a whole but I listen to my very reliable sources, not some random source which your provide.

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 d-rtyboy
There are lines in the EULA that are very sketchy and can be interpreted in different ways. Now, don't tell me M$ isn't going to stretch it as far as they can in thier favor. I don't trust M$ as far as I can throw a horse. Take this little factoid: "In light of this, then Microsoft chairman Bill Gates announced in early 2002 a company-wide 'Trustworthy Computing initiative' which aims to incorporate security work into every aspect of software development at the company." That's from wikipedia... now, what is trusted computing? Find out here --> www.againsttcpa.com I've known about this for years and years... there's a neat little video about it here --> http://www.lafkon.net/tc/ if you're too lazy to read.
Avatar image for Crunchy_Pickles
Crunchy_Pickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Crunchy_Pickles
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
Stupid-ass "lol vista is teh devl micro$haft suxozrz omg" rumors aside, you CAN install Vista on more than one machine (not active though, you'll have to uninstall/format the old one), under certain circumstances. You HAVE to get rid of the old installation when you install it again, and most important, you can ONLY do this with the retail copy. OEM copies are tied to the motherboard, and will not (legally) work on another machine once installed onto one machine.
macpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 macpop
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
wow idk y vista let me download it self then
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DeeJayInphinity
You can mention all of your little factoids and quotes, but the fact is that MS is probably not going to delete stuff off of your computer. Since when did people start going ape**** over license agreements, anyway? Vista's agreement is similiar to the XP agreement. Anyway, if you don't like it, guess what? DON'T ACCEPT IT, LOL! Who knew you could refuse to accept those agreements? Crazy, huh?
Crunchy_Pickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Crunchy_Pickles
Anyway, if you don't like it, guess what? DON'T ACCEPT IT, LOL! Who knew you could refuse to accept those agreements? Crazy, huh?DeeJayInphinity
Pretty much. Don't like it, don't buy it. And Microsoft is a major corporation, they aren't stupid. Actually acting on their "ability" to delete content off of every computer that runs Vista would cause way too many repercussions to even mention. They wouldn't risk that.

So yeah, if I were the OP I'd save up for a retail copy if I planned on using it on more than one machine. I'm not; I'm saving up for OEM Ultimate 64-bit, so I can put it on my new computer, whenever I actually get it. I only need it on that, nothing else, or else I'd get the retail version.
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeeJayInphinity
Are you serious? Yeah, ok, I accepted the agreement, I guess I'm one of Microsoft's mindless drones now, lol. :roll: They got me to sign their agreement, what's next? They might send me on a space voyage to Mars where I can help them take over the planet. What other crazy adventures do you think Microsoft will force me to go on? It could be anything, really.
I didn't accept it because MS wants to "shove it down my throat," I accepted the agreement because I want to ue their product which will benefit me not only now but in the future as well. Seeing as DX10 will dominate the next generation of gaming, I don't see how that's not a benefit for me.
What is Microsoft doing that is making you think that they're forcing the agreement down your throat? Are they sending you Vista CDs with "please agree to this agreement" written on them? Is there a guy outside your door trying to get you to sign it? Is Bill Gates sending you threatening e-mails ordering you to sign it? No. you have to make the conscious effort to sign it, Microsoft is not doing anything besides putting it on store shelves Vista is more than translucent windows. :roll: Gates is a great person that has donated tons of money to schools and charities. That fact alone completely voids your whole argument.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 d-rtyboy
Vista is more than translucent windows..DeeJayInphinity
Please explain... if it's more than translucent windows... then what? direct x 10? You've got to be kidding me... that could be so easily ported to XP... sides who gives a crap about a stupid rendering engine anyway? There are alternatives... it's just mindless trolls just run out and buy crap just cause the TV tells them it's the latest and greatest when what we've already got works perfectly well... Bottom line.. if you buy Vista.. you're an idiot... plain and simple....
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DeeJayInphinity
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Vista is more than translucent windows..d-rtyboy
Please explain... if it's more than translucent windows... then what? direct x 10? You've got to be kidding me... that could be so easily ported to XP... sides who gives a crap about a stupid rendering engine anyway? There are alternatives... it's just mindless trolls just run out and buy crap just cause the TV tells them it's the latest and greatest when what we've already got works perfectly well... Bottom line.. if you buy Vista.. you're an idiot... plain and simple....

Learn to use google. Multiple security fixes, new features, a more stable os overall, etc.. My argument still stands, IF YOU'RE SATISFIED WITH XP, STFU and don't upgrade. I'd love to see what your reaction was when XP came out a few years ago. "WORST OS EVAR LULZ UR AN IDIOT FOR BUYING IT!! NUTTEN NEW!!" Did I get your reaction right? Was I close? You also need to stop insulting everyone who bought Vista. You don't know squat about those people, so you need to keep your mouth shut until you do, and even then, insulting their intelligence is something you shouldn't be doing.
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts
[QUOTE="d-rtyboy"][QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Vista is more than translucent windows..DeeJayInphinity

Learn to use google. Multiple security fixes, new features, a more stable os overall, etc.. My argument still stands, IF YOU'RE SATISFIED WITH XP, STFU and don't upgrade. I'd love to see what your reaction was when XP came out a few years ago. "WORST OS EVAR LULZ UR AN IDIOT FOR BUYING IT!! NUTTEN NEW!!" Did I get your reaction right? Was I close? You also need to stop insulting everyone who bought Vista. You don't know squat about those people, so you need to keep your mouth shut until you do, and even then, insulting their intelligence is something you shouldn't be doing.

I doubt she even knew what an OS was when XP came out...
Crunchy_Pickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Crunchy_Pickles
Le sigh, there is a severe want of more intelligent people on the Internet, to counterbalance the wave of people that blindly follow others that say "omg dis sux olo". So far, Vista's doing pretty damn good, considering Microsoft's reputation for launching OS's. It's amazingly stable, has a lot (almost too much) of security, and it just flatout looks great. Sure, there are a few compatibility problems, that's to be expected. But by the time SP1 for Vista is released, those issues will most likely be fixed. My only concerns are 1) the UAC issue, it needs to remember application settings better, and 2) better OpenGL support, which is more of a video driver issue than an OS issue.